5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic High Octane zombie thriller!
This book is fantastic! Starts you right off into the action on the very first page. The book can be read as a standalone but It is highly recommended you read atleast the first two "Dead City" and especially "Apocalypse of the Dead" since major characters make appearances.

Published 24 months ago by Travis "Travdaddy" S...

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing considering other entries in this series
Published 24 months ago by Darrell Hodges

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic High Octane zombie thriller!, September 23, 2012

It's set years after the initial SHTF moment when the Hurricanes destroyed the South Texas coastlines and a failed attempt at building a quarantine wall caused a countrywide (possibly worldwide althought I cant quite remember) Zombie Apocalypse.

The book is a fantastic read and is highly recommended! Since Dead City, Joe's books have gotten better and better with each release. Joe McKinney especially nailed this one!

Buy IT!! BUY IT NOW!!! along with Dead City and Apocalypse of the Dead if you're a new found Joe McKinney fan!

LATER!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sequel!, September 4, 2012
Holly A. Zaldivar (SAN ANTONIO, TX, US) - See all my reviews
Joe McKinney doesn't just "do it again." This time he takes it over the top! While plenty of characters and events carry over from the last novel, Joe weaves them into "Mutated" easily and clearly so you're not wondering what you've forgotten, or not skimming through paragraphs because you remembers these important details. Without giving away any spoilers, the infection has poured out of southern Texas and zombies are now moving their way north. This novel takes place several years after the initial infection, providing fascinating thoughts about how the infection mutates. As the zombies change, so do the survivors, some of them not for the best. It's a nerve-wracking, haunting novel, made more poignant by the cast of evil-doers. If you've enjoyed the previous three novels in this series, you will love "Mutated."

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good zombie book, September 21, 2012
Samuel S. Frankel, Jr. (Fort Lauderdale, FL USA) - See all my reviews
I would recommend reading Dead City and Flesh Eaters (in that order) before this one. Each story builds on the prior one, although they are designed to be stand-alone. Excellent emphasis on character development, and not merely a gore-fest. Mutated, taking place several years after the first two books, takes a little too long to develop. All in all, though, one of the better series (few spelling and editing errors, realistic dialogue, etc.). Recommend for the zombie enthusiast.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing considering other entries in this series, September 25, 2012
Darrell Hodges (Rocky Mount, Virginia) - See all my reviews
Maybe I should go back and read the series in chronological order Flesheaters, City of the Dead, Apocalypse of the Dead, then Mutated. This is the chronological order but Flesheaters was published after Apocalypse and maybe that's part of the problem for me. I really liked the first three books in the series but maybe too much time lapsed between Apocalypse and Flesheaters because try as I might I couldn't get into any of the characters in Mutated. I barely cared if any of them lived or died and the zombie king completely turned me off the story.

This latest entry is by far the least interesting of the four. It's slow to develop and I was constantly left feeling like nothing had happened yet even 350 pages into the novel. To reveal my bias I prefer zombie stories that have either Romero type zombies, 28 Days Later rage zombies, or even 2004 Dawn of the Dead fast zombies. When you have zombies talking, thinking, driving cars, or using telepathy to control other zombies then you've automatically lost my interest. I'm trying not to add any spoilers in my review but in this novel there is a Red King zombie whose basically like you and me only he's homicidal, ticked off that he was a loser in high school, and somehow has the ability to control other zombies telepathically. The Red King can speak, think, plan, create intricate traps.... he's like the Vladmir Putnin of zombies.

In my opinion you're much better off re-reading City of the Dead or Flesh Eaters (the 2 best novels in this series) than wasting time on Mutated. I'm left hoping there is no 5th installment of this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book! Couldn't put it down!, September 13, 2012
This is the 4th book in Joe McKinney's Dead World series and although it isn't absolutely imperative to the quality of the story to skip the other 3 books, the chemistry between some of the main characters will be lost on you if you do not read them first.

I picked this book up and could not put it down. Joe is an exceptional writer and this story, as with the rest of the series, does not dissappoint! Since this is such a new book, I do not want to spoil any part of the story by going into details.

Let's just say that during the rollercoaster ride that was this story, I was at times scared, thrilled, anxious, and at other times quite heartbroken. I found it very easy to identify with and become emotionally attached to some of the characters and oddly enough, wishing otheres would get eaten.

Although the zombies appear to be on their last leg (both literally and figuratively), the older ones have begun using complicated tactics to hunt for their "food" and that in and of itself is terrifying! They are starving now and their hunger is almost tangible.

The main characters just seemed to be cursed as they rolled from one bad situation to the next, barely missing one disaster, only to land square in the next, more intense disaster! Yet, you can't help but applaud their courage. There were some very poignant scenes in the book that actually made me stop and question my own purpose in life and the direction we are all headed. A great book does that! Makes you stop and think, draws you in to the story and makes you care about the outcome. Excellent book!

2.0 out of 5 stars same old, September 12, 2012
If you are really into zombie books, this may be for you, so please don't let my review put you off purchasing the book. The next thing is there is zero description on this book, so even though my review in no way compromises the ending, I do give a description. So
Possible Spoilers Ahead***

This novel started out so exciting. Niki Booth, Avery Harper, and Sylvia Carnes are on their way to meet Dr. Don Fisher, who can possibly cure the zombies.

Niki Booth is a zombie fighting machine, who is being pursued by the Red Man. The Red Man is a stage IV zombie. Stage IV zombies regain their human memories, intelligience and can control lesser zombies. Red Man also has a cadre of living human soldiers who serve him.

This sounds so freaking exciting. Then we add in Ben Richardson, a reporter, and Nate Royal, an immune survivor who is carrying a vaccine around his neck. Wow!

Then the story devolves. Red Man is only after Niki because she was popular and he was an unpopular geek. The cure and the vaccine become a forgotten part of the story. Red Man is just an insane dictator. This just becomes a plain, regular zombie story. Sad.

Unfortunately, it wasn't exciting. Niki kicks bootie. Avery and Nate are slow as in lacking intelligience. Sylvia wants the zombies cured. Ben is recording the stories and explaining why this is important. They hire the Hintons to get them to Fisher because they have a boat. They keep encountering the Red Man's zombies.

It was boring, and I could not become immersed in the story. I also couldn't find a character that I cared about.

I also couldn't understand why it was important for Niki to meet up with Dr. Fisher. This wasn't explained. She wasn't vital. She did not have a delivery system, special skills or information.

I couldn't understand how they were exchanging messages. They had no email, no phones, no cell phones and no postal services, so how were they exchanging messages?

The premise behind the story just falls apart when you think about it, and the story was tedious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Awesome as expected!!!!, September 21, 2012
This book is the type of book I really enjoy. Characters are setup to fail but overcome the odds and survive. The book even has a happy ending which I wont give away, but really leaves one feeling like there might be hope after all! I thouroughly enjoyed it and want more Mr. Mckinney!!! Here my plea and write..........please.

5.0 out of 5 stars MCKINNEY BRINGS SOMETHING FRESH AND CHILLING, September 17, 2012
McKinneys DEAD SERIES books have always been some of my favorites , and with MUTATED he spins a unique twist with the NECROSIS-FILO-VIRUS evolving in a way that chilled me to the bone.I thought about this one for a few days after reading it.One of this authors many talents is tension . I kept tearing through page after page cause I just had to know what happened next.I would definetly recommend this book,and if youve not read any of his others,go take care of that ASAP!! BRAVO SIR!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Loved this book!, July 21, 2013
I was surprised about how much I love this book - I live in San Antonio and when I read an article about the author who is a police officer for San Antonio (I'm a police officer too in an area city) I was curious - he's a great author! I loved all of these book! I think I've read all or most of his zombie books and they are great! I especially loved the Police Officer connection to them! Awesome! Highly recommend!! =)

2.0 out of 5 stars Flashdrive turns into Ipad?, November 5, 2012
This book was ok, just ok, which is disappointing for a McKinney zombie book. The worst part was at the end when the group meets up with Doctor Fisher. Instead of handing him the flash drive that they've painstakingly cared for during the journey with the actual vaccine information on it, they hand him Richardson's Ipad. There's no mention of transferring the information to the Ipad, and no reference to using a USB adapter cable to transfer the information.

Also, someone, including the blackshirts could have easily shot the Red Man at any time. And since there was nothing special or magical about the Redman, and he was claimed to be Stage IV or higher, wouldn't there just be a million Redmans running around ruining everyone's life after some zombies progressed to a 'higher plane' or whatever you want to call it.

It still beats Reader's Digest, but the Redman's mortality and gonad weakness coupled with the flash drive magically turning into an Ipad really bothered me.

Mutated (Dead World)
Mutated (Dead World) by Joe McKinney (MP3 CD - September 4, 2012)
$29.99 $26.99
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available.
Rate and Discover Movies