Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

Format: Audio CD|Change

on October 12, 2006
The Up Side: Melodic hardcore pop-punk (emphasis on the pop and punk) the way New Found Glory used to do it before hitting the big time. Mutiny's first single of the same name is instantly memorable, and We Do It For The Money, OBVIOUSLY is a punk rock gem (52 seconds in length, and not a single moment wasted). To be honest, most of the material on Mutiny! is as enjoyable as it's first single, making the entire record a complete and rewarding listen.

The Down Side: Mutiny! is too short! 9 songs, 2 intros and 28 minutes simply isn't enough for an LP, even if most of the material is stellar. A couple more songs would have rounded things out nicely.

The Flip Side: Those who hate pop-punk will be impressed with Set Your Goals' authentic hardcore influence. Those who hate Hardcore may be drawn in by the pop sensibility this band embraces. It's a win, win situation.

The Conclusion: Set Your Goals are quickly becoming a favorite at your local record store and web zine, so go ahead and give them a try. If pop-punk/hardcore is your thing, and you miss NFG, what have you got to lose?

The End.
on February 28, 2011
I do love my music. I do enjoy my Set Your Goals. I do not enjoy listening to my music underwater. As I listened to this album I realized that I must have had cotton in my ears. The muffled recording was downloaded to my computer, was listened to once through before being completely deleted due to its horrible, dreadful recording quality. Secondly when the case arrived from the supplier it didn't so much contain a case as much as containing the pulverised remains of the cd case. Something is wrong here.
on July 13, 2008
I only just heard these guys recently when 'echos' was played on the radio, obviously to promote this two CD re-release and I have to say they impressed me.The track 'echos' has an interesting structure and nice melodic elements along with catchy dual vocals that set it apart from alot of tracks, also the lyrics are suprisingly wise for a young band. The other tracks are similar sounding but not as good in my opinion, but still worth listening to. The biggest downside is the recording quality, which sounds like it was mastered on tape or some other low budget way, and suprisingly the demo tracks on the second CD seem to be of a better quality. It would be nice if they could have been remastered, but this quality is better than not hearing them at all.I will certainly be listening for some new tracks from these guys.
on May 29, 2010
I love this album, overall its a great listen and fun to sing along with. That being said; if you're going to buy this album PLEASE buy the original release. The sound quality on the "special edition" leaves a lot to be desired. At first I just thought I bought a bad cd, but after confirming with a friend; this CD is not a good purchase. The extra CD that comes with it is not worth it, you get a couple demos (with the overall same sound quality as the main CD) I highly recommend this band and the Mutiny! CD, just not the special edition.
on July 30, 2006
Set Your Goals is a Pop-Punk band with Hardcore influences, hailing from California, and calling Eulogy Records home (at this moment in time). In 2004, they released the highly appreciated "Reset" EP in which they mixed hardcore and pop-punk to form a sound not heard at all in the scene right now. Many people may be ignorant and say that "Set Your Goals sounds like every band around right now", which is very untrue. Set Your Goals are doing something different, something that hasn't been heard in years, since the days of (old) Blink 182, New Found Glory, and Lifetime. With the release of this year's full length "Mutiny!", Set Your Goals stick to their guns and come out with one of, if not the best album of the year, in my humble opinion.

The album starts of with the song "Work In Progress", which features an acoustic beginning, and then gradually rising in tempo and intensity and turns into a fast paced opener, with spoken vocals and moral like lyrics. ("..because life is about doing the process and not the result"). One of my favorite components of this album is what I like to call "transition songs". The tracks "Dead Men Tell No Tales" "Don't Let This Win Over You" and even "Work In Progress" into "We Do It For The Money, Obviously!" all showcase this introduction of some sort, to the next full track, that get you all pumped up and excited for the following number, which I love. The middle tracks ("Mutiny" "This Song Is Definitely Not About A Girl" "An Old Book Misread" "This Very Moment") all contain lyrics aimed at big corporations, and major labels, giving a psued0-speech to them, and how they will not "ruin" the band or make them "sell out". Now as these topics may seem childish and quite played out, Set Your Goals does it well, and wants you to have fun and focus not on the depth of the lyrics but the energy they give off. "This Very Moment", a track released earlier in the year as a demo, is one of the best songs on the album, and really shows what Set Your Goals is all about. Intensity, energy, gang vocals, and even a breakdown.

One thing that intrigues me about this album is that the ending to it is the best part. As I have seen throughout the year so far, many of the albums released have their best tracks at the beginning and then fade out towards the end, which really turns me off when listening to an album. "To Be Continued..." many listeners favorite song, has one of the best melodies of the year, and you can't help but sing-a-long to the song...all...day. The album ends with the track "Echoes" also one of the best songs on the album, and also released earlier in the year as a demo. The "da, da, da, da, da" ending to this track reminds me of classic Blink-182 and New Found Glory tracks which is a breath of fresh air. With the recent success of My Chemical Romance, The Used, Underoath, and other such bands, showcasing an image greatly accepted amongst today's youth, Set Your Goals provides us with something fun, new, catchy, fresh, energetic, and everything in between.

The production on the album is pretty good, and definitely adds to the quality of the album, although I would've liked to hear a bit rawer sound than what is given. The demos of the tracks on the album were better than the finished products in my opinion, which is the only complaint I really have about this album. One other thing is how short the album is, but this doesn't really get on my nerves too bad because that is the style of music that Set Your Goals plays, and this allows them to do that. If you have a passion for music, and want something fun for the summer, and quite good, then pick this album up. I understand that you might not like it as much as I do, and might not think it's the best album or one of the best album's of the year, but I'm almost positive you will like it. Just sit back, relax, grab a glass of lemonade, and listen to this album, and try not to dance, sing, or bob along to one song, and if you can't, well then you must be lying, or have some type of disease or something.
on September 22, 2006
One reviewer commented that they didn't know what to do with the short intro song, but I have to disagree and say they help this album stand out. This is one of the best paced albums I've ever heard. It's clear that the song order was maticulously constructed and much of this was written to fit into the whole.

Another example of great pacing on this record is in the title track. This song has one of the best and biggest choruses ever in a pop-punk/hardcore song and it's because they set up for over a minute and a half and only do it twice. It gives it so much more power.
on July 13, 2007
It's been a while since I heard a new band that has such an energizing sound. The whole format of the album adds to this as each song streams seamlessly into the next. Mutiny! is fast, powerful, just edgy enough and leaves you wanting more. I had the privlidge of seeing these guys live on the War Sucks Lets Party Tour and they we're even better live than on the album. They have a good shot at making a big splash on the scene.
on July 5, 2009
This is one of my favorite albums. the only problem, the sound quality on this cd versus the original release is reallllly bad. It sounds fuzzy and needs some serious treble control hahaha. the album is absolutely fantastic.
on March 15, 2007
My first exposure to Set Your Goals came in the form of an Anti-Flag concert where i had never heard of the three other bands playing. Though they played only a 28 minute set in a four hour concert, they undoubtedly stole the show from both the mediocre at best filler bands (Alexisonfire and Big D and the Kids Table) and even from the main act, Anti-Flag. I had to pick up the CD, and was equally impressed with the band members, for they just hung out selling their stuff, talking to fans, signing autographs, and taking pictures. The CD has cemented them into my top 5 bands, and is a fresh breath of air that is the at times stale punk scene. The song structure is varied and original, they do not stick to the verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus structure that has pervaded pop-punk since Blink-182 made it big. In addition, the lyrics are simply superb, they are thoughtful and pertinent without being preachy. This is a truly amazing album, but go see them live, you will not be disappointed.
on July 12, 2006
Ive anticiapted many albums this year from big name bands such as Taking Back Sunday and Underoath just to name two. Everytime I am disapointed; so when Mutiny!, Set Your Goals' first full length album, came out I knew they had big shoes to fill with all the positive buzz around them, and truthfully, I had little faith in them. I was wrong. Very wrong.

The new album totally exceeded my expectations. Mutiny, the first single of the album of the same name, doesnt do the album justice. All the songs keep that happy hardcore, pop-punk spirit started from their first venture, Reset.

This is album is a MUST, for fans of Blink 182, New Found Glory, Lifetime, and CIV. Or anyone who loved Set Your Goals' first EP.