5.0 out of 5 stars Muchas gracias para Muy Bueno!!
I pre-ordered Muy Bueno about a month ago after reading the glowing review from Roberto Santibanez, my favorite Mexican chef. I received it yesterday. I have actually never even seen these ladies' cooking blog before, but right off the bat, I read this cookbook from cover to cover. The photographs are beautiful, and the writing is actually worth reading!

In the...
Published on September 26, 2012 by Megan Johnson

2.0 out of 5 stars Review specific to KINDLE edition
Published 11 months ago by Roger Lee

5.0 out of 5 stars Muchas gracias para Muy Bueno!!, September 26, 2012
This review is from: Muy Bueno: Three Generations of Authentic Mexican Flavor (Paperback)

In the beginning, the book explains to you that the recipes are contributed by 3 generations of women. A grandmother, mother, and 2 daughters. You can tell who submitted each recipe to the book because there is an icon with each recipe, and every recipe has a little story in the beginning that tells you how it is important to their family culture/tradition. I found the entire cookbook to be utterly heart warming. I feel that every recipe included is approachable, even to the novice cook, and without ingredients that would be difficult to find. I also think it's worth noting that I have about 5 other Mexican cookbooks, but I still know that I will be cooking heavily out of this book.

Some things I just can't wait to try:

Appetizers:
Bacon-wrapped shrimp with jalapeno
Corn in a cup (sort of like Mexican creamed corn, yum!)
Mexican shrimp cocktail (one of the best looking recipes I've seen for this)

Soups:
Albondigas (Mexican meatball soup...I've been wanting to try a new recipe for this!)
Homemade chicken soup (the picture looks absolutely delicious)
Pozole rojo (Red pork and hominy stew)

Entrees:
Chicken tinga
Chipotle shredded pork enchiladas (stacked, not rolled...how fun!)
Beef tongue with tomato (No recipe has ever made me want to cook lengua before)
Chile rellenos topped with ranchero sauce (an old fave)
Cheese and shrimp stuffed poblanos (How could that not be good?)
Chilaquiles rojos (classic Mexican breakfast)

Desserts:
Churros with Mexican chocolate dipping sauce (omg.)
Bunuelos (fried tortillas with cinnamon and sugar)
Coconut milk tres leches cake (WHAT?!)

I am so happy I purchased this cookbook! I will definitely be making all those recipes listed above, and more. I'm pretty sad that my boyfriend wanted pork chops tonight, because it means I won't be able to get started on one of these recipes right away.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is worth the buy!!!, September 21, 2012
Patricia Frymyer (Lancaster, PA USA) - See all my reviews
I have been a faithful follower of the Muy Bueno Cookbook blog for over a year now, and have already tried many of their recipes! Their chicken tinga is smoky hot and flavorful. Tacos al pastor is a sweet and spicy blend of yumminess! The pumpkin empanadas and champurrado make excellent autumn and winter treats! I can't WAIT to receive the full cookbook that will have so many more recipes. The pictures, the stories, the love, the recipes - this cookbook is a must have!

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE LOVE LOVE this cookbook!, May 28, 2013
I first borrowed Muy Bueno from a friend and when I realized there were too many recipes I wanted to try had to purchase my own! My boyfriend is from California and grew up eating this type of food and has recently moved out to the east coast and he was disappointed every meal we ate out Mexican. Only thing Mexican style I could make before this cookbook was tacos! Recipes are super easy to follow and now I can make anything his belly wants! We especially love the enchiladas! The recipes taste good, present well, and have satisfied his craving of authentic Mexican foods from his home! Ive learned a lot from this book and enjoyed the story in the beginning. If you love authentic Mexican meals these ladies did it right, and you need this book in your collection!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Review specific to KINDLE edition, January 24, 2014
Roger Lee (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
Although this is a nice little cookbook with a smallish selection of appealing recipes and attractive photographs, I can't recommend the Kindle edition. The Kindle edition is not a true digital book. It is a digitized book, basically it's a scan and there's no way tadjust the text size or even to zoom in to make it more legible. One of the great advantages of Kindle books is not having to wear reading glasses to read them. If this fault were corrected, I'd rate this cookbook at 3.5 stars which means I'd give them 4 to err on the nice side.

5.0 out of 5 stars The real deal!, August 19, 2013
Nicholas M. Sullivan (Hermitage, Tn United States) - See all my reviews
I went surfing Amazon for a recipe book that presented traditional and authentic Mexican recipes. There were many Mexican cooking books and "Mexican-like" cookbooks, and Mexican-flavored" cookbooks listed, all with high ratings. But, in these days of egotistical celebrity chefs and cooking magazines that have to turn out 35 or so new recipes a month - whether they are fit to eat or not - it's difficult to determine whether you're getting an authentic traditional recipe or some sort of fusion dish using all the latest fad ingredients that most people in the country of origin may never have heard of. (I keep looking for arugula ice cream to appear in the supermarket any day now. It seems everybody uses this green in just about everything). Fortunately, I live in a city with a great library, so I checked out several of the more popular Mexican recipe books out there to see if they really were traditional and authentic or some celeb chef's creations. Most were the latter. Traditional Mexican food - what gets served on the family tables and in the restaurants south of the Border - is one of the great cuisines of the world. And, as my former boss was fond of saying: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." My frame of reference to check out these recipes is Better Homes and Gardens 1977 edition of "Mexican Cooking". This is a real jewel of a book that shows you how to cook just about every Mexican dish you'd ever want to. I wouldn't sell my well-used book for $1,000. The problem with it (if you want to call it a problem) is that Mexican-source products weren't readily available then in most places of the United States, so a lot of ingredients come out of a can or are substitutions. I was searching for a book that has the traditional stuff, but where I could take advantage of all the fresh produce and authentic ingredients (think cheeses and peppers here) at my local Latino market. After much research, I decided on "Muy Bueno." It was the right choice. Most of the recipes in this book go back at least three generations to Maria de Jesus Mendias, the matriarch of these cooking daughter and granddaughters who wrote the book. The book is, in actuality, a tribute to Grandma Jesusita and the great dishes she used to cook up back home in Mexico in the days of Pancho Villa. The book also is lavishly illustrated by the excellent photography of Jeanine Thurston. My only complaint with this book is that I wish there were less recipes for mixed drinks and more recipes for breakfasts. A good Huevos Rancheros recipe would be nice, but I already have a good one in BH&G's "Mexican Cooking." I expect I'll still use this little gem until it falls apart. But, if you're looking for the real thing now, "Muy Buenos" is very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Muy Bueno es Muy Delicioso, November 4, 2012
I was looking for an authentic recipe for capirotada, and chanced upon the recipe in this cookbook. This book is perfect for anyone wanting to experiment with authentic Mexican recipes, as well as discovering new, exciting fusion-style dishes. And the family stories that preface the entire book as well as each recipe are wonderful, truly enveloping you in this family's history and making you feel a welcomed friend into thier kitchen. Living in So Cal, I have experienced a lot of Mexican, and many other Latin types of, cooking but few recipe books for Mexican that are both authentic and yet easily adaptable to the novice cook's local supplies. Since purchasing this book I have made several of the recipes for office potlucks, and I have been deemed an "authentic Latina cook"--truly an honor from a culture that knows what's good food!

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST Cookbook!, September 29, 2012
Muy Bueno cookbook WELL exceeds beyond my expectations!!! I don't know what to make first, menudo or the coconut milk cake. Their green chile with beef and potatoes and their red chile sauce recipes bring back fond memories of my mother's cooking. I love their beautiful colorful photos. This is definitely my all time favorite Mexican cookbook, their recipes are meals I grew up with. Muchas gracias Vangie, Veronica y Yvette!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Recipes, November 14, 2012
One of the authors is a friend I have grown up with. Personally knowing their history, I was super excited to begin trying out the recipes in this cookbook. I cannot tell you how easy the directions are to follow but also tell you that the food comes out delicious. My family has been so happy in eating everything that I have made and are amazed at how well I have been doing. It has been great to copy and create the same recipes that my grandma or my mother makes. This book makes it very easy for me. Thank you for putting down on paper the traditional mexican dishes that I have grown up with! And this is quoted from my dad "Haber cuando hacen otro libro para que te lo compre y siques cocinando!" Lol, he is so funny, he wants to buy me your next book. I highly recommend it! Super easy and everyone will be amazed that you can do this yourself :)

5.0 out of 5 stars What a delicious surprise!, September 28, 2012
I'm a Cuban cook and that is my specialty and my focus. When I cracked open the Muy Bueno Cookbook I was thrilled to find that it was everything I wanted as I learn to cook Mexican food. Beautiful photos. Recipe instructions are super clear and the type is large. The stories in relation to the authors and their subject matter are compelling and beautiful. The elements of the recipes are both traditional and modern, with recipes from first-generation, Jesusita, south of the border home-style from 2nd generation, Vangie. And more modern Latin fusion from 3rd generation, Veronica and Yvette. An excellent resource for anyone wanting to recreate traditional Mexican cuisine in today's kitchen.
I'm so happy I have added Muy Bueno to my cookbook collection. It's a beauty.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've Died and Gone to Mexican Heaven!!, September 28, 2012
This truly has to be one of the most beautifully photographed book of food I've ever seen. Not only does every dish look colorful and inviting, your palate begins to salivate with simply the thought of enjoying this sumptuous food. I LOVE the stories and history behind this family...such a beautiful tribute to their Abuela :). Thank you for sharing a slice of your lives with the rest of us. Truly magical!!

Muy Bueno: Three Generations of Authentic Mexican Flavor
Muy Bueno: Three Generations of Authentic Mexican Flavor by Yvette Marquez-Sharpnack (Paperback - October 1, 2012)
$22.50 $17.93