5.0 out of 5 stars A cornerstone building block.
The main reason I picked up this book was to help teach my 3 year old the alphabet but after 2 letters (one per day) I am amazed at how much more this book really is. I am using it as a daily devotional for my 3 year old daughter and my 7 year old son.
Published on August 17, 2003 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Great memory verses, can have legalistic tendencies
Published on November 2, 2010 by lindsay white

5.0 out of 5 stars A cornerstone building block., August 17, 2003
This review is from: My ABC Bible Verses: Hiding God's Word in Little Hearts (Hardcover)
What I really like is how it is designed to teach children to learn and live Gods word but it teaches them to do so out of love, with stong moral values. The stories are engaging and both of my children enjoy them.
We hadnt put the book down for very long when my children began to fuss over a toy, we reread the "B" story, then without any further prompting my son resolved the issue through timed sharing, even apologized to his sister for his bad attitude.
When it was time for bedtime stories my son asked if we could do more letters instead of our other Bible stories.
This book is a must have for every Christian family.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great memory verses, can have legalistic tendencies, November 2, 2010
There are great things about this book that my boys connect with. They love the story format, the verses are well picked, and I like the questions that go with each verse/story. On the contrary, I feel upon reading this to my children the need to further explain some of the examples given. Missy and Bill (the main characters) seem to always do the "right thing," there are frequent times when one ALMOST misbehaves but then "Missy remembered proverbs 15:1...." which in a perfect world is great, but that is not the way my children operate. They can recall bible verses until they are blue in the face, but until it penetrates their hearts...they are just operating out of behavior modification. I know it is difficult to introduce Biblical concepts to children without being "works based" verses "grace based," but I wish the authors would have had the children (instead of their friends or the non believers) be the ones messing up some of the time, this would paint a more realistic picture...that said, my boys have not caught on to this and they really do love the stories AND are memorizing truth.

Overall good buy but needs balance with a view that we all (mommy and daddy included) sin and are in constant need of repentance...and with that, i'll step off my soapbox:)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good structure and verses, stories are hit and miss, July 22, 2010
I wanted to give this book 5 stars (or 4 - if there were 3.75 I'd do that). It is a good book. The ABC pattern for the verses is nice. The setup is easy and good - say the verse, story, repeat the verse, a few questions, review verses from before.

Onto my dislikes:

A lot of the stories have quite stilted conversations.

There is one about behaving well that involves the kids contrasting themselves being good and behaving well at the store because they love Jesus with this other bad little girl.

The stories are about kids who are comfortably wealthy, go to church every Sunday, and are good little kids. I suppose they reflect my suburban Christian childhood. But there is an air of judgementalism (like in the story I mentioned) that comes out sometimes that just doesn't sit well with me. There isn't anything WRONG with the stories and they don't actually judge or say mean things, but it's an implied judgement I guess.

My kids enjoy this, they learn the verses very quickly, they like the stories (they are 2 and 4 years old). I like it a lot too, but I do end up feeling a need to do extra explaining and/or changing some wording to make the stories less judgemental and more about learning the good news of the scripture itself.

It's a great book, I recommend it, but it also is not something that would work well in a preschool/young child group where not all kids are "church" families.

5.0 out of 5 stars good starter, December 1, 2004
Sara (California) - See all my reviews
As a place to start discussing Christian behavior with your children, this is great. Each letter of the alphabet is taught with a verse and a short story about behaving the way God commands us to.

The only problem I have with the book is it is extremely unrealistic in that the children never encounter any sort of negative reaction from their friends for desiring to obey God. I know that from my own experience as a Christian child in the public school system, this is just not possible. You will want to make sure you discuss these sorts of situations with your children in addition to reading these stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartily recommend this as a devotional book, January 1, 2006
We are really enjoying this book with our 2 1/2 year old daughters. The format: a Bible verse is featured on each two-page spread, followed by a brief explanation of the terms in the verse and a story/ object lesson that applies the verse in a real life situation.

We are very careful in how we want to impart God's Word to our children...not too babyish, flippant, or foolish, but not above their understanding, dry or boring either. Our girls can really relate to the object lessons, and discuss the verses throughout the day. We would like to buy more books from this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good applications for preschoolers' life, November 9, 2006
I enjoy reading the stories in this book to my 3 year old. The characters and situations seem realistic. The verses chosen are good ones for small children to apply.

My main complaint would be the insistence on using the KJV. Too archaic and hard to explain to kids. Also, even the other words in the questions to ask or pre-story discussion seem too hard for preschoolers so I end up doing a lot of rephrasing. I realize many think of the KJV as the only legitimate version, but, come on-these are preschoolers! How are they supposed to relate? Constantly restating things seems like it would only confuse them.

I like the alphabetical order. This works well with many homeschool curricula. Good job, overall. Note to author-Just consider using easier and more modern wording, please.

5.0 out of 5 stars An easy and delightful way to learn Scripture, August 26, 2003
S. Smith (Clinton, SC United States) - See all my reviews
I was looking for an attractive, illustrated format to help our 3 year old daughter memorize Bible verses. This book is it! We read a verse and the accompanying story every night, and with all the repetition, she has memorized several verses. She usually asks to do more than one verse & story at bedtime, and we frequently allow it -- it's a treat! It also helps in learning the alphabet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Faithful Biblical devotional for children, ages 5 - 7, December 15, 1998
An excellent children's devotion.  I used this book with my six year old daughter and she loved to hear stories about Billy and Missy. No problem with pictures of God there are none,  however very colorful and excellently  illustrated)

5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous daily devotion for preschoolers and up, February 3, 2000
it was very difficult to find a childrens devotional book that was truly appropriate for younger children. This was definately an answer to a prayer. In just one week, my 3 and 5 year old have done an excellent job learning, and reciting the first 7 verses that we read everyday. A must for every christian home. I can't wait to buy one for my sister.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book! I can't wait to finish all the lessons, June 4, 2003
Justamom (Magnolia, AR United States) - See all my reviews
This is going to be a great book. We have only read a few stories, but what I have read is awesome. The stories use examples that children can relate to, and it shows them what they SHOULD do according to that Bible verse. I plan to use this as a bedtime bible story. We currently don't do devotionals with our daughter, but we are going to start. This will help her learn how to handle her every day situations.
Without even reading the entire thing yet, I am excited about this book.

My ABC Bible Verses: Hiding God's Word in Little Hearts
My ABC Bible Verses: Hiding God's Word in Little Hearts by Susan Hunt (Hardcover - July 1, 1998)
$15.99 $13.61