5.0 out of 5 stars grandparents are special, April 10, 2010
This review is from: My Abuelita (Hardcover)
This picture book follows a grandmother and her grandson getting ready for the grandmothers job. She is a storyteller and he helps her gather all the items that she needs for storytelling. What makes this story so unique are the illustrations. They are photographs of soft sculptures made of clay, wire, wool, fabric, wood, metals. The details that are out into each scene are amazing. The relationship between the grandmother and the grandson was also very touching. Grandparents are special people. The younger generation can learn so much by having a relationship with them. This story seems to bring that point across well. It would make a great story time book around Grandparents Day!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Enough to Eat, March 11, 2010
E. C. Porter (Port Jefferson, New York United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Abuelita (Hardcover)
When I was younger, my neighbor's mom used to make apple-head dolls. Apparently this was some strange Kansas custom that she brought with her to Ohio. I remember wondering what arcane process she used to transform a juicy delicious apple into the wizened little faces that topped her efforts. Yuyi Morales seems to have brought a modern version of the apple-head to her latest work of art. Not content with the rich, colorful perfection of her earlier paintings, Morales now brings a sense of dimensionality to her work, by creating and photographing dolls of her characters. Still there are the vibrant colors, the curved, flowing compositions and the expressive, connected characters. But now they fairly jump off the page. Kids will love this story, a homage to grannies and storytellers everywhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars The sweet love of a young boy and his grandmother, March 12, 2010
This review is from: My Abuelita (Hardcover)
This sweet story follows a young boy preparing for his day with her grandmother, a storyteller. The creative and beautiful artwork of Morales weaves through the pages, taking the reader into the life and mind of our young narrator. Makes me think of my own grandmother and the special love that only grandparents and their grandchildren can share.

A must read for all!

5.0 out of 5 stars Spanish and English celebrate family ties and a special grandmother's skills, January 21, 2010
This review is from: My Abuelita (Hardcover)
MY ABUELITA receives Yuyi Morales' warm drawings and tells of Abuelita's hair, the color of salt, who is wild and loud. Her grandson knows he has the most amazing grandmother - but what could her special job be? Spanish and English celebrate family ties and a special grandmother's skills.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great grandparent book!, September 20, 2014
This review is from: My Abuelita (Hardcover)
Funny book! My daughter loves it. Especially because I make the character come alive as I read it. I would say this a great book for a nana aka abuelita to read to her grandchildren. Good book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Purchased as a gift for a six year old Will ..., July 27, 2014
This review is from: My Abuelita (Hardcover)
Purchased as a gift for a six year old Will be interesting to hear Grandpa E read it to her. Spanish is hiss

My Abuelita
My Abuelita by Yuyi Morales (Hardcover - September 7, 2009)
$16.99 $13.15