Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation

on February 19, 2012
I gave this a read because I too worked for the evil empire. I only lasted a month because it scared me terribly how their workers acted like mindless drones.

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I thought it would be a quick skim. But I was wrong. It instantly drew me into the story. I can attest to the politics of this company.

The only gripe I have is the book could of been better with some more editing and catching some simple mistakes. I know when I write I usually miss them because I read it over and over I become blind to them. Always a good idea to let someone else proof it for you.

Great book....Would recommend it to others.
on June 9, 2012
I was so turned off by the author's attitude I had a hard time getting through this book. He spends a LOT of time patting himself on the back, but ultimately comes off as a jerk (About a female coworker: "She would have been attractive if it weren't for a beer belly" ).

I kept waiting for him to be a little mature and self-aware, but it never happened. After Devlin has burned every bridge at Wal-Mart, and has been dumped by the married co-worker with whom he had an affair, the district manager tells him, " If it was one person, I would wonder if they're out to get you . . . . .but everyone I talk to tells me you have a bad attitude and you're not a team player."

As other reviewers have noted, the grammar is poor. Overall, unprofessional, unfunny, and not worth the time.
on June 3, 2012
The first clue should have been when the author notes he found himself the victim of, "...some masochistic editor obsessed with hacking my life into a more realistic and empathetic story to appeal to the everyday reader." First, a masochist hurts himself, not someone else. Second, it became clear that Mr. Devlin sorely needed an editor to help him with this book. It's a badly written book in nearly every regard - grammar, syntax, spelling, readability.

When he's not touting himself as the only person in WalMart who understood how things should work, he's trying too hard to be amusing.

I love a good insider's expose just as much as the next guy, but this is one you should probably avoid if you're looking for a professional quality publication.
on April 6, 2012
Not only is this book a nice little drama, it opened my eyes to the reasons why I can never find stuff in Walmart that I had just purchased 2 weeks previously. I loved the ending, I loved the writer's style. The only way this book could have pleased me more, would be if the author had gone on to become a store manager at Target.
on May 27, 2012
This is a good story for those who are familiar with the ins and outs of the retail big-box industry and WalMart in particular. This highlights the nuances and insanity that the retail world inflicts upon its associates.

I appreciate the candor and honesty that the author displays in this story, and this is a good effort, but here are some of the things that need to be addressed. The editing does need to be better. It is good, but far from perfect. I noticed a couple of typos and instances when the right word was spelled wrong for its usage (role and roll for example).

This book was written for insiders, but so easily could have been expanded by the author taking a little more time to explain some of the concepts and nuances of store operations and spending a little more time on description so the reader can get a clear picture of what the author is talking about.

This lack of description also hurts the development of characters within the story. Granted, the author might be doing this to protect himself and the others in the story, but it jumbled up the different characters in my mind.

A good effort and I hope the writer keeps writing. There is talent here.
on May 23, 2012
The editing could have been a lot better. That said, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Having worked at Wally World myself, for similar managers, I really appreciated this story. I felt some kinship with Mike as a fellow "old school" type that believes in acting honorably and treating other people fairly in the workplace. Unfortunately, this attitude can sometimes make you an easy target. I think the Bigwigs in Bentonville ought to read this book. Maybe not though; they may think it's a management training text. Hats off to another Walmart survivor!
on May 26, 2012
Good story. For those who think this only happens in retail, this cruel treatment can happen anyplace where management cares more about hitting performance metrics and getting bonuses on a set of artificial statistics which can be manipulated irregardless of long term impact on subordinate employees or non-traceable impact on customers, client, or end product.

There are some dishonest people out there who bully others, lie, twist situations for their own ends. Jerry is a jerk who has risen as high as he will ever be trusted to go. His boss knows Jerry is a backstabber, and will never promote him. He also knows Jerry's games and that Jerry will find cause to fire anyone who might be able to gather evidence against Jerry or anyone higher up in the company. You don't comply, Jerry will make your life miserable because there are a ton of people out there without college degrees wanting a job. He just has to find someone who can pass the drug test and will take orders.
on May 22, 2012
I would have given it 5 stars, were it not for lack of proofreading, and not explaining the abbreviations and terminology to the lay(wo)man, that doesn't work in retail. Halfway through I thought it was going on a bit too much about all the hoopla surrounding all the "little" store rituals. However, more and more it drove the point home, about the store's management being in their own little domain. I worked a summer job in an office of a small clothing store: 1 bookkeeper, 1 secretary, 1 admin assistant (me). The day-to-day "rituals", so trivial in the grand scheme of things. But what I wonder about the most while reading this book, is there a workplace anywhere where sanity reigns? Or is it all like this???? I know my work place is!
on December 16, 2012
I had hope that this story would end up better than it did. The writing was awkward and at times, the typos and grammatical errors became distracting. The author's continual humility was unrealistic and read ultimately like a brag-see me, I'm doing the best I can in a world of idiots. If the management at any business were as clueless as this one appears to be, they'd be out of business quickly. I couldn't get past that and reconcile with the fact that he's describing the world's largest retailer.
The book just didn't ring true to me and in the end, lessened my enjoyment of it.
on May 16, 2015
I picked up this book on a whim. I shop at this store enough that I thought I knew everything there was to know. I was wrong. It is just like every other large company. Unqualified supervisors, unbelievable mandates from corporate, crazy co-workers, and unwritten rules. What a mess. You could have changed the company name to any other or better yet, a municipality or state agency and you would not miss a thing. The only let down was I knew what was coming at the end. I guess I have my own Wally world experience, too. Great read.