5.0 out of 5 stars Living the American dream - From Bronx to the White House...
"My American journey" is the story of Colin Powell. He is the living symbol of the American dream. Powell was born in Harlem, and grew up in South Bronx. His parents were hard-working immigrants from Jamaica. He went to school in New York, and later joined the ROTC.
"My American Journey" is a very well written biography. Together with lots of pictures from Powell's...
Published on March 27, 2001 by Hilde Bygdevoll

3.0 out of 5 stars Great American, Yes; Great Book, No
RE: AUDIO TAPE VERSION READ BY POWELL. I am a Colin Powell admirer but a definitive biography would better be told by a skilled independent writer, and after more "chapters" in his life are complete. Powell may indeed be a man of few faults but we can't be sure of that from his own words. I disagree however with reviewers who postulate that Powell has...
Published on March 30, 2001 by booshkindoggin

5.0 out of 5 stars A man with a talent for self-criticism ..., September 10, 2005
Colin Powell admits now that his appearance in the security council of the UN in February 2003 was a blot in his career . He has the admirable strength now to be ashamed of it. The consequence: Today, because so the grounds for the Iraq war were lied all of them, the American soldiers immediately should be fetched back home. At the moment, one could anyway use them in the region around New Orleans very well. In addition Colin Powell should get an office in the FEMA (in opinion of some politicians as quickly as possible), - the rescue of the New Orleans-region then would for certain take sensible forms faster. One can recognize very well, why many observers believe, that Colin Powell is capable of so much sense of realism, planning talent and courage of self-criticism, if one attentively reads his autobiographical notes . At his judgements of the Serbia or Iraq war one discovers that he let himself drag only reluctantly into these hornet nests. The worry about the life of the soldiers entrusted to his care had to argue very often limiting him and to ask whether America's interests really would be under debate. However, Powell did not manage to keep the army out of everything. Although he grew up in the Bronx, although he was not overwhelmed by bad experiences in Vietnam, although he made his career up to Washington, although he is gifted with an extraordinary strength of personality : He has not managed despite all self-confidence to bend the war desire of the present Washington administration. Perhaps everything would have gone off much worse without his expertise yet! Instead of pressing him to the side, one should finally notice with deep respect this excellent leader personality. The reader of his book is perhaps once less taken in by people bedeviled only by lust for power, cliques with friends and vanity in the eyes ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, August 9, 2004
I used to 'despise' Colin Powell for he was one of the few people to oppose U.S. military action against Serbian terrorists who while wearing police and army uniforms slaughtered hundreds of thousands inncoent people's lives in Croatia,Bosnia and Kosovo.

'He must be a pro-serb" - I thought and that's what spurred me to read his autobiography - hoping that in it there might be clues why and how come a grandfather in power do nothing or create obstacles when people's lives were at stake.

To my greatest surprise, as I read his book he became my hero!

There's no limit to my respect I have for him now! Because he is the best example of what SUCCESS or I shall better say, what LIFE is all about!

Obstacles to him were not holes that people get stuck in them all of their lives. To him obstacles were nothing more then Challenges. He was discriminated and intimidated because he was black but that didn't make any difference on him. To him that meant Challenge, again.

His autobiography is over 600 pages. The three long, yet very fast days, that it took me to finish Colin's book - were definitely my best reading days ever so far. Colin writes so honestly and so beautifully that he made me feel that I know him and his lovely family personally.

No Stephen Covey or Anthony Robbins or any self development writers can raise your self-esteem better then Colin Powell - my hero.

Remember his over 600 pages book is a re-readable book. There's heaps to be learned not only about success, him and his family but about other people too such as President Regan, Bush and so many other prominent figures.

ENJOY

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, September 22, 2014
Andrew MacAoidh (Cincinnati, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This is one of the great men of our time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Leadership, June 16, 1998
By A Customer
This book is a must-read for anyone who wonders how to rise through the ranks. There are numerous quotable quotes and anecdotes to inspire leaders across America.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what the army needed, January 23, 2000
By A Customer
General Powell is the epitome of inspirational men. To his own admittance, he is not the smartest or the strongest, but he is an great leader and was fortunate enough to find his calling. He is the reason the Gulf War looked easy and one of the main reasons the US Military was able to regain face in the years since Vietnam. His clear thinking, political courage, and humanity are exactly what the most powerful army in the world needed at this most critical time. Don't stop with buying his autobiography... vote for him when he runs for office too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly enjoyable., September 23, 2002
By A Customer
This book is not only Colin Powell's life story (incomplete, of course), it takes the reader through the times of Vietnam and Korea, and on into the era of the Reagan and Bush, Sr. administrations. I do not claim to be highly educated in the ways of politics and the running of countries. However, I feel I can follow the news more ably now after reading this book. Mr. Powell's descriptions of his job duties has given me a better understanding of all of those positions, no matter who holds them. His behind the scenes observations of recent events have given me insight that have helped me to see those events more clearly. His modest sense of humor and clear descriptions of people and their reasoning and motivations helped me in my understanding of many Washington figures. The book has been absorbing, and one should not be intimidated by it's number of pages; you will want to finish this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A very informative book, May 15, 2000
Melvin Hunt (Cleveland,, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
You could use this book to teach history lessons with. The Colin Powell career made for very good reading. His early rise through the ranks of the Army was interesting. His service during the Carter Administration was also very interesting. The part about the invasion of Panama was very newsworthy because not much has ever been written about this military endeavor. His leadership that he displayed during the Gulf War was very commendable. All in all an outstanding book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for all., December 4, 1998
This book should be mandatory reading by ALL school-aged children. A totally inspiring book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, May 15, 2002
Paul LaCross Simonton (Lynnwood, Washington United States) - See all my reviews
You can't help but like this man whether you agree with him or not. This was a book about a man who jumped on most of the opportunities in life that came his way. What I enjoyed most about this book was his sharing his experiences being stationed in the south (Fort Benning, Georgia) in the early 1960's, mentioning that heading north to New York you had to have a strong bladder if you were black. What I admire most about Colin Powell is that, though he made it to the top as a soldier, he put his time in the trenches & combat. Politically we're different. He's a progressive Republican & an internationalist. I'm more of a populist. Howevwer, I feel he does what he believes is right, and, in the best interest of this nation

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved My Book, April 24, 2010
This review is from: My American Journey (Paperback)
My book was shipped very fast. I loved it and will use amazon again! Thank you.

My American Journey
My American Journey by Joseph E. Persico (Paperback - February 18, 2003)
$20.00 $14.09