Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on April 4, 2000
This is a great book for kids! I bought it to introduce my six year old son to baseball. It covers how the game is actually played, rules of play, and reinforces important baseball terms. At just the right length, this book is perfectly titled - My Baseball Book. Great for any budding, young baseball fan!
"My Baseball Book" by Gail Gibbons provides an introduction to the sport of baseball by describing the equipment, playing field, rules, players, and process of the game. The idea is to explain the basics to young readers (ages 3 to 7), so they will understand not only the markings on a baseball diamond, what baseball players wear, and all the positions, but also get a sense of how games are played and why a home run can be a big thrill. Most of the book is devoted to Gibbons describing a game between the Robins and the Owls, in which young readers get the chance to see hits, walks, runs, and other baseball plays in the context of a game.
Although this is supposed to be an introductory book to the game of baseball the information does get a bit technical at times, which means that an adult or older sibling is going to have to explain this a bit more. For example, at one point it is explained that in addition to being a strike if the batter swings and misses that it is also a strike if the batter does not swing but the ball passes through the "strike zone." There are dotted lines suggesting that the strike zone extends from the batter's armpits to his knees, but nothing to add that the ball also has to be over the plate (until you get to the term "strike" in the glossary in the back of the book). Still, on balance "My Baseball Book" is going to help kids by reinforcing what they are learning out on the field, which is the most important way of learning the game.
on May 26, 2016
This is a really cute book that can be read on many levels. For the very little child, it hits the basics. As a child grows or develops more of an interest in baseball, there are detailed explanations by each item in an illustration. It is a sturdy hardback book with a quality feel. I recommend this book for child baseball beginners in this age group.
on April 21, 2016
I purchased this item for a 6 year old grandson. The book explains perfectly, and in a fun way, the game of baseball. Our grandson hasn't received the book yet but I am positive that he will be excited and pleased with it. His father is coaching the team and I think the book will be helpful to him also in explaining the game to youngsters OR anyone who doesn't understand the game. The great pictures are a big plus also.
on April 17, 2013
I gave this book to a boy, new to baseball, on his 6th birthday. The drawings and explanations of the game are appealing and upbeat. It is appropriate for a child, trying to learn how the game is played and/or beginning to play the game himself or herself. The child gave me feedback a couple of weeks later and it was all positive. He said it really helped him understand the game. He also said it helped him play better. I'm not so sure about that, but it was nice to hear :-).
on July 27, 2010
I bought this for my son's fourth birthday last year. He loves baseball and I thought this would be a book that was both entertaining and educational.
He loved it. We read it everynight for about two weeks and he began to understand what the different positions and rules were.
It is a year later and we still read it occassionally just for the fun of it.
on April 29, 2013
This book is perfect for teaching a beginner the game of baseball. Great layout, great explanations and outstanding drawings. My 4 year old grandson (1st year T Baller) and his Daddy both love it. So easy for a child, boy or girl of any age, to learn the basics of the game. I highly recommend this little treasure.
on May 1, 2014
This book basically made me feel that I never wanted to purchase another children's book online because you really dont know what you are getting. The words and pictures were way to complex for a 2.5 year old and it was NOT interesting. Way to complicated and uninteresting.
on December 23, 2014
What an excellent way to introduce a young child to baseball. I'm thrilled that my oldest grandson who was two when he received this book has asked for it to be read countless times. This one literally cover all the bases as it informs as well as entertains. I can't wait to begin reading it to my younger grandson ! Thank you
on August 27, 2012
got this book for my 4 yr old grandson, who love sports. This book explains the rudiments of the game in story form: just what a 4 yr old wants!!