Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Ed Sheeran egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Shop Now HTL

Format: PaperbackChange

on March 15, 2008
I read this book and I am forever changed. I have adopted the macrobiotic lifestyle( for 3 years now) My brain tumor is gone as well as my high blood pressure, High cholesterol. arthritis and I also lost 45 pounds.I am also off of my seizure medication that I took for 17 years and the doctors told me I would never be able to go off of.I have been seizure free for 3 years also!! This way of life has been practiced by the Chinese and Japanese for thousands of years. I think it is about time that the American diet is put under scrutiny so that we can all be healthy. Richard Myer- 61 years old
on April 12, 2007
"My Beautiful Life" is the story of a truly extraordinary life. Whatever misgivings one might have about this book - and I agree that it could have been better written and/or edited - to conclude from it that Mina is a quack, as one of the reviewers on Amazon has done, is quite a stretch. From my own experience, nothing could be further away from the truth.

In 1996, after starting to have arthritic pains in the joints of her fingers and shoulders, my wife went for a consultation with Mina who was recommended by a friend. Mina prescribed a "medicinal macrobiotic" diet based mostly on organic grains and vegetables and said that the pains would be gone in about three weeks. I was rather skeptical about this claim, but my wife's arthritic pains did indeed vanish after about four weeks and have not returned since. After about three month of medicinal macrobiotics we started following a little less restrictive diet, still based on macrobiotic principles as delineated by Mina, and Michio Kushi in his books, and we have been on it ever since.

During the last six years I have not had as much as a common cold (my wife had a flu three years ago, but has completely recovered after only three days, and has suffered from a "cold", for two days, last year). For about ten years now we have not been taking any medications (pharmaceuticals), nor vitamins and other dietary supplements. My wife is 60 years old, I am 62 and we never felt so healthy before.

Five month ago, after experiencing blurriness in my vision, I was diagnosed by my ophthalmologist as having a cataract in my left eye. I have consulted Mina, who has told me that most of eye problems derive from liver deficiencies (which has not surprise me since I had Hepatitis B 30 years ago, and my liver was damaged as a result). She advised me to give up on my daily glass of wine and prescribed again a strict medicinal macrobiotic diet, combined with shiatsu massage and ginger compresses. The first thing I noticed after about three weeks of dieting was a surge in energy, and how calm and collected I was feeling. After three weeks, my wife has noticed that the wrinkles between my nose and my month have started flattening, exactly as Mina predicted. After less then a month I started noticing an improvement in my vision, and the blurriness in my left eye has completely disappeared after three month of dieting. Besides I have lost 11 lb. in the process.

We have known Mina for ten years now. All we can say is that she is a dedicated and experienced macrobiotic counselor who has tremendously helped me and my wife, as well as my wife's entire family, and a number of our friends and acquaintances. Both Mina and her husband are the most generous and loving friends, and we are immensely grateful to them for introducing us to macrobiotics and considerably improving our health and the quality of our lives.
on November 6, 2012
I read about this book through another amazon purchase: The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone. Both are inspiring books -- as a result I have become a vegan trying to follow a macrobiotic path for the past month. As a physician and a daughter of a breast cancer survivor, I'm very concerned about pursuing optimum health for my family's sake and for that of my patients. Although mainstream cancer treatment has made so much progress, especially in the area of childhood cancers, there are definitely things left to be desired. Mina's story really goes to show that the human body has the capacity to heal itself if given the optimum conditions and nourishment, which are, not surprisingly, found a in a way of life that get us back into a deep connection with nature. Mina's optimism, complete confidence in the macrobiotic treatment prescribed for her, and her family's support and devotion all played a role in her healing. In fact, I'm recommending this book to anyone I know who has cancer or other health problems.
The first part of the book was a bit hard to get through -- quite a bit of melodrama, but the book gets better as Mina gets diagnosed with cancer, and even more so as she became cured. Fascinating read.
on April 28, 2014
I have bought 3 copies of this book, one to gift a friend, one to loan, and one to keep in the house for my own reference. Mina's story is well told and a huge amount of information is woven into the drama of her story. She had stage 4 ovarian cancer, and using macrobiotics all traces of her cancer are gone. She is, in 2014, an energetic leader in macrobiotics in the LA area. Macrobiotic practice is more than what you eat. It includes spiritual practices (meditation, gratitude, positive thinking, prayer, service, etc.), exercises (Do-In and walks outside), careful preparation and eating of delicious natural foods, order in ones home and life, study and ongoing learning, etc. I highly recommend this book to anyone with cancer or with a family member with cancer, and most especially for women with reproductive cancers.
on October 5, 2011
After reading Mina's book my husband and I were given a shred of understanding that had eluded us for 3.5 years. The warning that should be given is, do not attempt to do this plan without a qualified Macrobiotic teacher. Our do it yourself mentality added more conditions that did not exist before this journey began. We had danced around the edges of macrobiotics and struggled through the diet for his disease found in Michio Kushi's book. However, when it became clear we were in over our heads, we took a chance and called the number in the back of "My Beautiful Life".

After a few weeks dealing with the financial enormity of traveling to Boston and studying for a week-long intensive course there, we realized it would be a matter of 'your money or your life' and our life was becoming the loser. Like the story Mina shared, my husband's family came to his rescue and sent him down there. He found a very vibrant 70 year old woman with a bright smile and confident demeaner. She discovered several conditions that had been overlooked or left as a mystery by the medical establishment. She diagnosed and then sent him home with internal and external remedies, a book of how to make these and a weekly menu to follow.

I highly recommend Mina as the Premier expert of Macrobiotics, with the caveat that you help your patient by simplifying the schedule of drinks and plasters to put on the fridge (DAY, TIME, How Long, etc)and either dictate on recorder or laminate the menu in bullet point form for ease of flow. The menu was not user friendly, especially to a 71 year old man who had never cooked more than a steak in his life and was too ill to decipher the overload of information. It is important that the patient cook for themselves and the support team just hangs on for the ride. If there are questions, read them over, then ask in one phone call as she insists on fostering independence. Be sure to read the complete booklet and recommendations in the beginning so you know what to expect and where to find the impossible to find groceries.

The good news is his condition drastically improved, most notably a tremor that had dogged him for 4 years disappearing in 2 weeks. Also recent blood work confirms that his Prostate Cancer (PSA)numbers are retreating which is also good news. Lastly, he has become more confident and has that feeling of value back that was lacking in retirement.
on April 11, 2007
Mina Dobic's story is a vibrant, heart-felt account describing the odyssey that she and her family made from sickness to health, from war to peace, and from chaos to harmony and balance. Over the years, as a macrobiotic teacher and counselor, she has helped many people in her native Yugoslavia as well as her adoptive Southern California heal themselves from serious illness.

Thanks to Mina Dobic and other courageous women and men seeking healthful alternatives, an expert panel of the National Cancer Institute recently reviewed a series of medically documented macrobiotic cancer recovery cases and unanimously approved clinical trials of the macrobiotic approach to cancer.

The National Tumor Institute in Milan, Italy, has undertaken a series of rigorous case-control studies of post-menopausal women and reported in leading medical journals, including Cancer Epidemiol. Biomarkers Prev., European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, and International Journal Biol. Markers, that the macrobiotic approach could significantly reduce the likelihood of breast cancer among women at high risk of the disease, as well as recurrence in actual breast cancer patients. In their most recent study, the Italian scientists concluded "recent trials have proven" that metabolic and endocrine imbalanced associated with breast cancer can be "favorably modified through comprehensive dietary modification, shifting from Western to Mediterranean and macrobiotic diet." (F. Berrino et al., "Adjuvant Diet to Improve Hormonal and Metabolic Factors Affecting Breast Cancer Prognosis," Annals of the New York Academy of Science 1089:110-118, 2006)

Researchers at the Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, Moores UCSD Cancer Center, University of California, San Diego, reported last year that 14 patients with recurrent prostate cancer who observed a modified macrobiotic diet reinforced by exercise and stress management experienced a significant decrease in their PSA, a major risk factor. Mean PSA doubling time increased from 11.9 months in controls to 112.3 months in the macrobiotic group, a nearly tenfold improvement. (G. Saxe et al., Potential Attenuation of Disease Progression in Recurrent Prostate Cancer with Plant-Based Diet and Stress Reduction," Integr Cancer Ther 5(3)206-13, 2006.)

Mina Dobic and her family, colleagues, and associates have been in the forefront of the modern diet and health revolution. My Beautiful Life is a testament to the power of the human spirit and a reliable guide for individuals and families seeking an effective natural approach to their health.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 22, 2014
This book is easy to read and just simply a great book. After reading it, it leaves you with wanting more and more. I would love to Interview the author.
on December 17, 2013
Mina Dobic is a testament to the strength of the human spirit. I have read this book several times and learn something every time I read.
on April 13, 2007
"This book is simple but lovely. I have personally had Mina Dobic as my teacher and councelor for over 3 years now and can honestly say she and the macrobiotic lifestyle have made a tremendous difference in my life. I look and feel younger, and when I follow her instructions I feel just like "super-woman!" If there was one perfect individual to recommend this book to it would have to be to a person who is suffering from a serious illness such as cancer. From this book you'll learn that there IS hope and there is another option in the way of healing. Mina Dobic's "My Beautiful Life" is proof that macrobiotics really does work!"

~Alicia Silverstone
on May 6, 2007
Luckily, this book came to me at a time of crisis. Mina's story inspired me to change my own life and health. No matter what medical science has to say about how diet, lifestyle or emotions affect our healing there is one indisputable fact, Mina after being diagnosised with terminal cancer is still here almost 20 years later to tell her story. I personally will be forever grateful to her for sharing her story. A story that has helped so many others to create their own stories of healing in their own lives. I thank Mina and macrobiotics for my wonderful health and for helping me to create my own wonderful life.