on June 3, 2003
I'm just sobbing like a baby!
My husband just surprised me for my birthday with 'My Best Girl'. I have been building my silent movie collection for almost 2 years, and not one actress has ever moved me so much as Mary Pickford!
I adore her in every film I've seen thus far, and all the others are DEFINITELY worth buying--bad prints or no, but this...this film is now my favorite Pickford film and in my Top 10 for all silents.
I am not a sappy girl, nor do I fall for romance-type films, but 'My Best Girl' is SO winsome, and SO charming! Please go off and read at least one Pickford biography and then rewatch 'My Best Girl'. I was so skeptical, b/c I'm not a big girly movie fan, but this is one you HAVE to own if you love Pickford! Her leading man in the film is Charles 'Buddy' Rogers, the man she married 10 years after this film was made. At the time, her idyllic marriage to Douglas Fairbanks was just beginning to falter. They divorced in 1935, and two years later, she became Mrs. Buddy Rogers. Buddy is so smitten (in a tastefully restrained way) in every scene, in real life, and it's so lovely to watch him falling nutty-head-over-heels for Mary. It's anyone's guess if Mary felt the same--a tribute to her gifts as an actress--but it was pure bliss trying to guess if she had been!
Funny, smart and BEAUTIFULLY shot (if you've seen a lot of silents, you can tell that this one was made toward the end of the era. You're in for SUCH a treat--the shots are nothing like any in other silents of the same age.) I laughed out loud, and shed big ol' 'I'm not a girly movie fan' tears!
Treat yourself, and buy the Milestone copy. An excellent, clean print, with wonderful sharpness and great picture quality. The few and far between muddy spots go away SO quickly. And the score is so thoughtful, and complements the action and the period impeccably. Buy it up, and send a message to the Pickford Foundation that we want more of these DVDs QUICK!
There are a few home movies & newsreel clips from the Pickford Foundation collection included on the MILESTONE DVD, and watching them just tickled me to no end. All of them were private reels of Mary and Buddy at their wedding, their honeymoon, and later. Again, being not a terribly romantic girl, I sure surprised the heck outta myself by sobbing out loud after reading that "Buddy was always fond of saying that he'd married his 'best girl.'"
A sap I was not, until now!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 13, 2004
There are those films that I would recommend to people who like that genre (EG "for those who like silent films, they would like this one"), but on a rare occasion I will recommend one to anyone.

Mary Pickford plays the archetype of her former Little Mary roles. She is Maggie, a stock girl at a fictional five-and-dime store... if you read Amazon's review you know the basic plot, which probably isn't the most original. Here's why you should see it:

Unlike too many of her vehicular films, Mary Pickford isn't the only reason to see "My Best Girl." About every character is a delight to see, and Maggie's parents deliver some of the best laughs, although Pickford holds her own at some very funny moments. Try not to smile at the scene when she first appears. The goofy melodrama with Liz and her beaux could make another feature comedy by itself, but here it adds to the richness of the film. The blase look on Millicent's face when Joe runs off to find Maggie is priceless. For that matter, so is the subtle look on Maggie's face after she tells Joe about the "Dramatic club" her sister belongs to. The soundtrack undermines some of the comedy at times, but that's no reason to turn the volume off. You'll find yourself humming the catchy jazz theme that plays when Nick Powell is present.

So, "for those who like silent films," this is one of the most harmlessly enjoyable, and for those who don't -- well, this is one you should see. It might change your mind.
on January 15, 2000
This movie will charm your socks off, and keep you smiling and entertained throughout. No deep film criticism here...this is simply as good and as fun as movies get. If you liked City Lights, you love this one!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is the story of a girl destined to become an old maid; she feels she has to take care of her crazy family. She is sweet and sane. She works at a five and dime store where she meets a man named Joe. Joe is rich but was forced by his father to prove himself outside of his wealth. Joe must work in a regular job and receive a raise. In the process, he meets Mary Pickford's character and falls in love.

This movie is interesting to watch because ten years after it was made, Buddy Rogers and Mary Pickford were married. Their chemistry is obvious. It is also a wonder that Mary was around the top of the hill when she made this and yet she still looked so young and beautiful. Emotions soar out of this film that are felt in movies of today. One never notices that it is silent; it simply isn't an issue.

One of my favorite scenes is when Mary deliberately pushes her belongings off of the car she is riding on so that she can see Buddy for just a little longer.

This silent was made when sound took the world by storm. Sadly, it was Mary Pickford's last. Because of the time period it was made in, it is more advanced than a film from the 1910s. The score is very good and the story holds up.
on January 2, 2002
This is a dazzlingly clear print of a very good Pickford light romantic comedy. Keep your eyes open for the one stunningly sophisticated directorial triumph: Pickford and Rogers walking through a busy street on a rainy night, oblivious to the cars and bicycles whirring past, around, and even between them. It is a long, moving camera shot that perfectly expresses their delightful absorption in each other. I have never seen this scene mentioned in any historical film book but it well deserves to be there. Bravo!
on June 17, 2005
This is the Pickford Flick to Pick!

You simply can't go wrong with MY BEST GIRL. The plot is one you've seen a million times, but it just doesn't matter. This film is so engrossing and transporting that you'll swear it's all brand new. The performances, direction, settings, music, humor, you name it -- all are pitch perfect.

If you've never seen a silent film, this is the one to see. If you know someone who thinks silents aren't worth seeing, show them this one. If you'd like to see a silent film that really holds up in the 21st century, search no further. If you're feeling down or depressed, see this film. If you need a date movie in a pinch, grab this one. If you'd just like to sit back, relax and watch a DVD that's fun, entertaining and top-notch in virtually every way... well, you know the answer.

If there is a flaw -- and this is nitpicking -- it would be an extended sequence toward the end that veers dangerously close to going over the top. Otherwise, it's sweet, charming, romantic and old-fashioned in the best possible sense, but never cloying or saccharine. It's simple, straightforward, predictable... and perfect. MY BEST GIRL is one of the very few films, silent or otherwise, that I can't imagine anyone disliking. And it has tremendous rewatchability -- an important factor when considering a purchase.

A word about the new musical score: David Michael Frank NAILS this movie. This is, hands down, one of the best silent film scores I've heard. It adds major impact to an already strong film, and don't be surprised if the breezy themes bounce around your head for weeks after viewing.

Am I gushing? You better believe it! After writing all of this, I just can't help myself... I gotta go watch MY BEST GIRL!
on July 30, 2002
I've seen quite a lot of silent and this one, even if it's not technicaly or visualy in the class of Sunrise, Metropolis or the other great masterpieces of the silent era, has a special place in my heart. I can compare the viewing experience I had with the one I had with The quiet man. Why? Everyone in this movie seems to have fun, same thing with The quiet man.This was I think the second or third Mary Pickford film I saw and up to this point I though she was funny, charming and beautiful but with her performance in this movie you can say that she can do anything. She played drama splendidly and she can break your heart with a smile or a facial expression. If you're a fan of Mary like me, this is probably you're favorite too, some of the other movie she did were more technical or more visual but this one is simply magical. The chemistry with her future husband of the time (Buddy Rogers) is as strong as Bogie-Bacall or Hepburn-Tracy . The story is basic and simple and there's no visual feast like in some other classics but it works and Mary shows us that she was and will always be, the one and only america's sweetheart. She was a very good actress and it's too bad she doesn't get the respect she deserves. Thank god for restoration of the old silent movies, other generations than our grandparents can watch her greatness and see that Chaplin was not alone as a great silent star. Back to the movie, the restoration is pretty good and the film looks great for a 1927. It's not the best transfer I've seen on DVD but it always depend of the source print.
on July 22, 2002
I saw this movie at the library and decided to give it a try, for I had never seen a silent film and I wondered what it would be like to watch something where noone is talking. I wondered what it was like when my Grandma was young and this was all the movies they had to go to...I also thought it would be an educational experience for my children to view a silent film, and educational for myself and my 19 yr. old daughter to see how camera technique and all that was done for a silent film (We have been studying the art of film in a casual way).
Well, this was really a good watch. I was prepared to be bored, you know, with no talking. But the film quality was beautiful (sepia tones for all day shots, and a darker blue hue was used for the night scenes, the images very clean and crisp)and the music that went along was very nice. I was amazed at how you could easily follow what was going on,(I found I was able to lip read the movie characters quite well!) and that very few "dialog cards" were needed. My children (ages 19, 10, and 4) all enjoyed this movie. The 2 young ones got a lot out of the humorous moments. This movie impressed my 4 year old; for a few days later he was playing and quoted one of the dialog cards (we had read them out loud so he could know what they said), one about, "Let's get busy and open this crate of mouse traps". He will quote many lines from movies, but it was funny that he would quote from a SILENT one! It was fun to see a picture of life in the 1920's, with the old cars, strange fashion, etc. It was a very good story, and although I wouldn't want a steady diet of silent films,we would be happy to see more silent movies of this quality, and with Mary Pickford. At the end was a nice silent short of Mary Pickford and how the leading man in this film became her husband.
on March 20, 2001
Mary Pickford is not especially famous for her comedy skills, but in My Best Girl she shows that she could be extremely funny. This film is at times hilarious, but it is also deeply touching. It is Pickford's ability to convey emotion which makes her so irresistible. The viewer believes in her character and cares about what happens to her.
This was Pickford's last silent film which is a great pity for it is one of her best. Her career in talkies did not last and this is a further pity for her acting ability was such that she could have gone on to play character parts in the way that Lillian Gish did. My Best Girl should thus be treasured as one of her last great films and one of her last great roles.
The print used for this DVD is sepia tinted for day scenes and blue tinted for night scenes. For the most part it looks wonderful, but there are a few places where it shows its age. There are some brief moments where the print shows decay, but this damage does not in any way spoil the enjoyment of the film.
The DVD includes as an extra feature some brief footage of Pickford's marriage to her My Best Girl co-star Charles `Buddy' Rogers. Some of the other Milestone Pickford DVDs include as extras examples of her early short films. I would have preferred one or two of these rather than the newsreel footage included here. But this is to quibble for this DVD remains indispensable for silent film fans.
on August 13, 2001
Mary Pickford was the most powerful, popular and influencial woman of Hollywood from 1910 - 1937. Co-founder of United Artists Studios in 1919, wife of Douglas Fairbanks the swashbuckling Silent film star (1919-1936). Owner of numerous companies and the hostess to the most lavish Hollywood parties during this period at her famous estate "PickFair" (named after her & husband Fairbanks).
Mary Pickford has been absent from the general public but the "Mary Pickford Foundation" has restored and digitalized some of her most memorable films. (She did over 200 such 2 & 3 reelers films from 1908-1927).
"My Best Girl" was her last silent film and one of her best with actor Charles "Buddy" Rogers her frequent and later her husband (1937 - 1976).
This movie has chemistry with her and Buddy. It provides us with an emotional roller coaster ride and a love story everyone will enjoy. Mary Pickford has screen presence and you quickly understand why she became "America's Sweetheart" and even had the title of the "Worlds Sweetheart" abroad.
The new "orignal symphonic score" by David Michael Frank is absolutely fantastic and adds to this delightful silent classic.
You haven't many choices to see digitally restored Silent Classic Film Stars of old but with Foundations like Mary Pickfords we can once again enjoy the magic of silent storytelling through the genious of visual acting talents of the great ones like Mary Pickford.
Included extras are some home movies of Mary and Buddy. A nice personal touch to their private & public lives.
Enjoy this silent romantic comedy and escape for 79 minutes to another time in Hollywood. Mary Pickford is "My Best Girl" and "America's Sweetheart".