‘My Body Belongs to Me’ written by Jill Starishevsky and illustrated by Angela Padron is much more than a picture book for children - this is a book that will equally be read by adults, teaching them how to correctly present to children the sensitive topic of child molesting as well as advices where to find additional information and possible assistance...
Published 10 months ago by Denis Vukosav

2.0 out of 5 stars Could find a better source.
I wouldn't order this book again. A bit too intense in my opinion. Ordered 'Some Secrets Should Never Be Kept'..and using that one for mixing in with our reading line up.
Published 7 months ago by A. Wright

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional work on children protection, made for children and adults, May 1, 2014
This review is from: My Body Belongs to Me: A book about body safety (Hardcover)

The book consists of three parts – in the first part through the illustrations kids are shown that it’s their body and it belong to them, they are taught that some parts of their bodies are private and if someone else touches them it’s inappropriate.

In second part, intended for adults/parents, twelve suggestions how to share this book with children are presented – among others kids should be taught the correct terms for their body parts, while adults should be aware and open, in same time sure not to respond to a disclosure with anger.

In final part, the authors have tried to list all the relevant addresses that can be contacted with a request for help, where parents can get the additional information or the topic of sexual abuse can be discussed.

As you can see it is a very valuable achievement that nowadays especially becomes important because children are increasingly exposed to the direct or indirect sexual harassment and hence the attention being paid to this issue cannot be exaggerated. Therefore praise the authors for this exceptional work on children protection, made for children and adults.

5.0 out of 5 stars children need to understand their boundaries, April 26, 2014
This book has an important message to children about the ownership and protection of their bodies. The illustrations are also wonderful.

4.0 out of 5 stars good resource, June 22, 2014
I think this book is good in conjunction with with a conversation (no brainer right?). I have had the talk about private parts and all that good stuff many times with my children so this book wasn't a huge shocker but I could tell it did make them feel a little freaked out! This is also a book that they do not choose to read- ever. We got the Amazing You book at the same time and that one they really love and it has sparked a lot of conversation. I realize this book isn't meant to be a regular bed time story so that's fine. I think it's a good resource.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book for a Difficult subject for many parents, June 4, 2014
I knew I needed to talk to my kids about this at some point but never knew how to start such a talk especially when they are very young well this book is excellent for this.

5.0 out of 5 stars my son got the message in one reading, May 14, 2014
my child has autism, he got the message and now knows about body safety. Buy this book to protect your child.

5.0 out of 5 stars I think it handles a complicated topic well, July 28, 2014
I'm majorly paranoid about sexual abuse so I bought this book for my 3 year old just to help prepare her for further discussions. I don't feel it was scary or to old for her age. These topics are uncomfortable but need to be discussed as they would occur.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Written, May 19, 2014
Jersey Gal (Monmouth County, NJ) - See all my reviews
Well written - this is a book geared towards 4 - 7 year olds. I say this because i have a 4 and a year old and they both understood it. We wanted to make sure we explained it to them. It's a touchy topic to make sure we cover appropriately.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great teaching tool for parents/caregivers concerning safety, June 1, 2014
This book is critically important in teaching safety to your child and opening the door in talking with children about safety and the importance of telling a trusted adult about any concerns.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and clear, June 18, 2014
DJ (Newburgh, NY) - See all my reviews
Purchased for my eight year old boy.
Had him read alone and then we discussed. He understood the concept and gained knowledge. All I can hope for at this age.

5.0 out of 5 stars Preventing childhood sexual abuse, June 2, 2014
Amazingly well written. I'm a child psychiatrist and I've started reading this book during patient visits. It brings up this difficult topic in a safe manner.

My Body Belongs to Me: A book about body safety
My Body Belongs to Me: A book about body safety by Jill Starishevsky (Hardcover - April 10, 2014)
$12.99 $11.38