4.0 out of 5 stars More Effective Than I Thought
This is the follow-up for My Book Of Rhyming Words. As much as I like using Kumon workbooks in our homeschool curriculum, I was beginning to think they were only good for sight word practice. I was hoping the workbooks would help teach vowel sounds, especially the differences between short and long vowels.

Much to my surprise, my son did learn how to sound out...
Published on April 28, 2010 by Ursula K. Raphael

2.0 out of 5 stars It's all the SAME! Look elsewhere.
Published 5 months ago by Ali

4.0 out of 5 stars More Effective Than I Thought, April 28, 2010
This review is from: My Book of Rhyming Words: Long Vowels (Paperback)

Much to my surprise, my son did learn how to sound out words properly. For example, my son now understands how adding an "e" after "can" changes the sound of the "a" in "cane." I noticed my son was able to read words with similar sounds that were not in the workbooks, and I realized that he was not just memorizing what he wrote.

There are pictures for each word, lots of writing repetition, and review pages after every vowel, including "y." It's a little on the monotonous side, but if you limit your child to a few pages per day, it shouldn't be a problem. My son enjoyed learning new words so much that I found out he had been talking about his "schoolwork" to other family members.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kumon Workbook, March 14, 2011
Deana Faggard (BEAUMONT, TX, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Book of Rhyming Words: Long Vowels (Paperback)
The workbook is beautifully designed, well organized and easy to handle and use. My grandson uses this after school for additional practice in reading and penmanship. I think the 'feel' of these workbooks somehow lend an air of 'importance' to his practice. I would purchase this item again and plan on using Kumon workbooks with other grands as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book For Learning About Words That Rhyme!, April 20, 2013
This review is from: My Book of Rhyming Words: Long Vowels (Paperback)
The Kumon series of books works by empowering children to succeed on their own. The books get successively more difficult as they build upon skills learned from the previous pages, so that by the end of the book the child has a sense of accomplishment and be ready to move on to the next level. The instructor is more of a mentor or coach than a teacher in a classroom.

The Rhyming Words and Long Vowels book is designed to help teach your child words that use a long vowel sound and that rhyme together. For example, it starts off with words like cane, mane, lane, and plane. It has you connect a line between the word and the picture. Then it has you trace, say, and then write the words to get a multi-sensory approach to learning them. It goes through each of the vowels, and also addresses the different pronunciations of the "y".

Here is a list of the words included:
"A" - cane, mane, lane, plane, hay, bay, day, play, rain, pain, brain, train
"E" - bee, see, tree, knee, feet, meet, sheet, street, meat, seat, heat, neat
"I" - hide, ride, wide, slide, bite, kite, white, write, cry, fly, sky, fry
"O" - bone, cone, phone, stone, boat, coat, goat, float, hose, nose, rose, close
"U" - tune, dune, cube, tube, cute, flute, glue, blue

At the end of each set of vowel words, it has a few review pages of activities, that include writing the words, mazes and putting them in a sentence. I highly recommended this workbook for learning about long vowels, rhyming and even writing skills!

2.0 out of 5 stars It's all the SAME! Look elsewhere., March 21, 2014
This review is from: My Book of Rhyming Words: Long Vowels (Paperback)
I am going to stop getting Kumon. There books are getting boring, because each one looks exactly the same. It doesn't matter the subject or age they look the same. So I am looking at different books that offer visual appearance so she will want to focus on it, not ton it out. You don't want learning to be boring, but fun. So spend a few dollars more and get something that would appeal to you, full of bright colors, cut out activities, stuff like that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Teaching tool, January 7, 2014
This review is from: My Book of Rhyming Words: Long Vowels (Paperback)
We are fans of Kumon workbooks. This is just another one of their wonderful products. Fun and challenging for children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Teaches your child long vowel words, March 25, 2013
This review is from: My Book of Rhyming Words: Long Vowels (Paperback)
This book helps your child to recognize long vowels words. The book also has alot of words with the same ending sound, so your child will be able to rhyming the words out on their own. The book reinforced that when a word end with e it is a long vowel word and the e is also silent. Your child will be reading, writing, spelling and having fun doing it. The book is easy enough for your child to do on their own. The only thing you have to do is to help your child sound out some of the words, but your child will able to sound out most of the words for his /herself. The book does has pictures next to the words. I love this book and when my child was done with it, she was able to read, write and spell the words in the book.

My Book of Rhyming Words: Long Vowels
My Book of Rhyming Words: Long Vowels by Kumon Publishing (Paperback - May 1, 2006)
$7.95 $7.16