Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: My Boyfriend's Back
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon September 3, 2007
If Collectables is going to continue putting out CD versions of old vinyl LPs at a time when Ace, Jasmine, Eric, Bear, and others like that are giving us CDs with upwards of 25-30 tracks for almost the same money, then they need to "expand" those releases by more than 2 tracks.

Where, for example, is I Adore Him, which made it to # 25 Billboard Pop Hot 100 in late 1963? What makes this especially annoying is their inclusion of the B-side, Thank You And Goodnight, which only made it to # 84! Also missing is their final charted hit, Wow Wow Wee (He's The Boy For Me), which just missed the Top 40 in 1964, settling for # 41, and its flipside, Snowflakes And Teardrops, as well as (Love Me) Now which backed their only # 1 hit, My Boyfriend's Back, in 1963.

To leave these off and include, instead, weak entries like And The Angels Sing, Blow Joe, and Cotton Fields just doesn't cut it, despite the fact these may have been part of the initial LP.

A much better choice is The Best Of The Angels, a 21-track 1996 release from Mercury/Chronicles/PolyGram which contains ALL their hits plus 4 of the six B-sides.
44 comments|16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 25, 2013
This album claims to be an MP3 version of the Angels album "My Boyfriend's Back", even using the same artwork on it's cover, but fewer than 50% of the tracks are ones that were on the original album. The original tracks were:
Side 1

"My Boyfriend's Back"
"Someday My Prince Will Come"
"Has Anybody Seen My Boyfriend"
"Till"
"A Night Has a Thousand Eyes"
"Why Don't the Boy Leave Me Alone"

Side 2

"He's So Fine"
"Thank You and Goodnight"
"The Hurdy-Gurdy Man"
"World Without Love"
"(Love Me) Now"
"The Guy with the Black Eye"

If Amazon is going to sell an album with this title, THESE are the tracks that should be on it. Not some farcical album that bears no resemblance whatsoever to the original album that was released and that is presented on The Angels' official website.
Some of the Angels best hits are included here among some good original 60's album tracks.
This album doesn't have as much juvenile overtone as the 'PolyGram' c.d. does.
It's nice to hear the Angels on some standards like "Sentimental journey", "Cotton feilds",
and "Everybody loves a lover".
They do a good job with these, and it's nice to hear this side of their music.

Four of their six hits are here, and 2 b-sides -
"Till" b/w "A moment ago" 1961.
"Cry baby cry" b/w "That's all I ask of you" 1962.
"My boyfriends back" 1963.
"Thank you and goodnight" 1963.

Between 1961 - 64 the Angels had six hits, and four b-sides.
This is a very nice album to have.
Produced by collectables label in 1990, of original recordings, and sounds great.

Footnote: It's true this album is not as comprehensive,
as the 21 track "Mercury Chronicles" compilation by PolyGram.
But another thing that's nice about this Collectables c.d. is -
here are the two b-sides that aren't on the "PolyGram" album.
Plus 10 additional different songs.

Together the two c.d.'s give ALL of the Angels A & B sides,
and gives a better overview of their musical abilities.

There isn't much to be found of the original 60's Angels recordings.
This is a great addition to an oldies collection!
All original recordings.

Footnote - I'm curious if any one knows if this album is actually,
the Angels first L.P. re-issued with two extra hits added?
I am suspicious that may be what this album is.

It fits the typical format of having the A and B sides of an artists first couple of releases,
and a few original tunes among some covers of some well known songs.
Also, the flavor of the album cuts mingle well the their first release "Till".
This may be a hidden treasure for more reasons than one.
on June 19, 2008
The Angels started out singing doo-wop ballads on the low budget Caprice label. Linda Jansen sang lead on these songs. Then she left the group to get married and the remaining two Angels moved to a new label and got a new lead singer, the stage actress Peggy Santiglia. Her voice lent something that was sorely missing from the group: attitude. Her voice could save even the weakest song simply because of its pure sassiness. After she joined the group they made many great songs including the smash hit "My Boyfriend's Back".

Unfortunately none of those songs are included on this cd, except the previously mentioned hit, which the producers have tacked on so they can call it a "classics edition". What we have here are the songs they made at Caprice with Linda singing lead. The liner note doesn't even mention this. It leads you to believe that Peggy is the lead on these songs. They're all boring ballads or dance songs that don't really make you want to dance. And the sound quality is horrible, as with most CD's put out by Collectables. The only good songs here, besides "My Boyfriend's Back", are "Till" and "Cry Baby Cry" two doo-wop ballads that managed to make the top 40 in 1962. If you want to hear some fantastic music by the Angels then buy the best of album put out by Polygram, the one that has 21 tracks. It has all of their hits, gloriously restored.
on August 11, 2012
I was so happy to find this CD. It was part of a birthday present for a close friend, who loves all of the early songs of the 50's and 60's. She was very happy with this CD. I would buy from this seller again.
on July 19, 2015
I bought the CD since I always listen to the music I grew up with in the 50's and 60's. The Angels were never one of my favorite groups but they are a very good group and the CD of them is very worthwhile to own. I have had no problems with the CD, it was packaged very well and very good service from Amazon as usual.
on March 20, 2015
I bought this CD,for one song that was a favorite of mine from high School days.the song is TILL,&even today every time I hear it ,it brings back such strong emotions,of young love,& the people I knew back then.
on August 22, 2014
This is an excellent album. There are three fantastic songs and the rest are pretty good. No bad songs. I saw the Angels perform in a concert at Bull Run many years ago and really like them as a group.
on December 19, 2011
I don't understand why "Some Day my Prince will Come" is left out of this album! I have been looking for an MP3 download from them for this song (it is on the album). I had to record this song from the album I had and it's scratchy.

Seems lots of artists have recorded this song in mp3 form except from this group. I loved this song. Would love to know why it is omitted.
on January 9, 2013
My Boyfriend's Back is a good CD by the Angels. Best songs are Cry Baby Cry, Till, Everybody Loves A Lover, and My Boyfriend's Back. I fondly remember seeing the Angels in a concert in the 1990's.They still put on a great show.