Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

on June 25, 2002
As a practicing OB, I'm often struck at just how disengaged men can be when their wives are pregnant. I've always encouraged my patients to have their husbands join them on visits, and after over 10 years in practice, I've had mixed results. But my track record has improved significantly since this very funny book appeared in my office several months ago. What I like about the author's approach is how he conveys useful information through humorous anecdotes, which allows men to digest the normally mundane and boring aspects of pregnancy in a manner that is fun and interesting. At first I was reluctant to recommend a humor book, since pregnancy is serious business. But the reaction of my patients has been nearly universally positive - they love this book. It is honest yet irreverant, and not contrived or corny like so many other books for Dads. I've bought several copies for patients myself, and on this latest trip to Amazon.com, I thought it would be worth passing on the good word to others out there seeking something for men to read (and enjoy) so they can become a more involved partner during their wives pregnancy.
55 comments| 578 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 19, 2006
A few weeks ago, my husband turned to me out of the blue and remarked smugly, "I can't believe how some guys don't know anything about pregnancy."

I wasn't sure how to respond. I hadn't been very impressed with his knowledge to date. I was 3 months along and I had read several of the books designed for women.

But his cousin had given him this book, and the guy who wouldn't look sideways at "What to Expect..." was making his way through "My Boys Can Swim."

Soon he started coming up with some good stuff. When I discovered my favorite jeans uncomfortably tight, he gave me a hug and promised that I'm going to look great with the big belly. When he caught me examining myself sideways in the mirror, trying in vain to suck in my growing pouch, he said, "Enjoy your pregnant body." When my emotions got the best of me and I dove in for an argument, he gracefully disengaged me.

And the real kicker came yesterday. As I was directing him to steer clear of an area of foul smelling air, I admitted to having what seemed to be an extra supply of gas lately. "Oh, the book said that would happen!" he responded cheerfully as he quickly scurried by.

Buy it, and leave it in his favorite bathroom.
44 comments| 199 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This is the only book I could get my husband to read about pregnancy. But this is written in a style that kept him interested, and I even heard him lauging several times. Very well written!
11 comment| 123 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 30, 2006
I don't know what everyone loves about this book?! Yeah, I thought the title was funny, but boy was I wrong about its contents! As an expectant father who has read quite a few books meant specifically for fathers, I was expecting a bit more from this one. What I came to find out was that unfortunately, the title of this book is its only redeeming feature.

This book is neither informational nor funny. Its brevity in actually providing useful information was appalling. Do they think we are Neanderthals who aren't interested in having a positive and interactive child birth experience with our wives? Beyond this, the book is completely chauvinistic towards women in every way possible. It does not teach men to enjoy and learn with their partners during the pregnancy, it tells them how to "deal" with their hormonal wives and ways to avoid getting themselves involved.

After reading this book, I was actually offended to think that anyone would consider men in this light. As a man who is interested in his wife and in learning about his yet unborn child, this all too common outlook about men and pregnancy is exactly what we do not need on our bookshelves.

Forget this book altogether and check out one that will actually be funny, informative, and teach you a thing or two! My favorite book is one in the series by Armin Brott. He is a great writer with lots of great resources and insight into what it is to be an expecting father. Try starting with The Expectant Father: Facts, Tips and Advice for Dads-To-Be. You will not be disappointed!
77 comments| 125 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 2, 2002
One of the nurses in my OB's practice recommended this book to my husband and I. She warned me not to read it in a public place, unless I wouldn't mind the embarrassment of laughing out loud spontaneously in front of total strangers. My husband read it on the train ride home from work. He said the nurse was right...this book was hilarious and kept him laughing, sometimes out loud, for the full ride home. He actually read the book cover to cover in about an hour, which the author notes is about all the time men will dedicate to reading about pregnancy. Sad but true! Even though this was a guy's guide, since I could fill a section at a library with the books I have read on pregnancy in preparation for my first, I figured I might as well read just one more. So I did...and I loved it. Now, I must admit some of the cartoons are a bit over the edge and I found myself asking my husband repeatedly "is this how you think?" (to which he answered on most occasions, "yes"). But as long as you have a sense of humor, you'll really enjoy this unusual treatment of the subject of pregnancy. I'd highly recommend it.
on July 30, 2001
I read this book when I was pregnant...and promptly gave it to every one of my girlfriends, who promptly gave it to their husbands...they ALL LOVED IT!! You will laugh out load, guaranteed! This is a Humor book, with a capital "h." And it's for couples, not just "the men." It is not a medical book, not a substitute for your doctor's advice (can't believe, in a review for a humor book, that I have to include that disclaimer, but alas...), and not a definitive guide to all things baby. But if you're a soon-to-be dad (and mom), you'll recognize the simple truism that in all good humor lies a grain (sometimes a whole shaker!) of truth. When pregnancy blues get you down, this will pick you up. Buy this book--you won't regret it!
Disclaimer #2: If you were born without a funny bone and healthy sense of irony, don't bother. Hopefully there's a comedian or two contributing to your family gene pool!
on December 16, 2007
This book is written for a lowbrow audience. I consider myself a typical, caring husband and soon-to-be father and this book was insulting. Unless you are really out in left field regarding the issues of pregnancy, or have a really short attention span (its more pamphlet than book) do not buy this.
on November 20, 1999
I was so tired of reading pregnancy books about how wonderful pregnancy is. Yes, we all know that in the end it's worth it. But during those nine months of waiting, things happen to your body and mind that you (and no doubt your spouse) never could have imagined. The way that Ian Davis describes his wife's pregnancy and the experience that they shared, reminds us all that we need a sense of humor. My husband and I were laughing so hard as I read him some highlights that I had to put the book down at some points just to breathe! A great gift for any expecting couple or any couple just thinking about it.
on September 12, 2007
This was a totally dumbed down book. My husband actually likes being a father and was insulted by this book. This is for a dad who likes to sit on the couch, drink beers, and not do stuff with his kids. Sorry book.
on June 5, 2002
Pregnancy books generally cater to women -- but what about the father-to-be? Author Ian Davis remembers telling his wife one day during her pregnancy that he'd rather get root canal surgery than read one more excruciating page of what to Expect When You're Expecting. For him, like most men, the only interesting part of pregnancy is what happens before the egg is fertilized. With that in mind, he wrote My Boys Can Swim, a wry, witty, endlessly entertaining book that address the concerns of every dad-to-be. Inside are unique guy insights you'll never find in those other pregnancy books, such as: -- You'll lose count of the number of strangers that will see your wife naked. Okay, it's medical and all. Still, you'll swear there were guys coming in and out of the room just to catch a peek. -- Lamaze is just some fancy French word that doesn't mean much of anything. If the class was called "Coping with the Excruciating Pains of Childbirth, " who would go? -- If you're worried about your wife gaining too much weight during pregnancy, don't sweat it. Fat and happy is always better than thin and cranky. -- And many more!