5.0 out of 5 stars the best thing that has ever happened to my cat
Published on February 26, 2012 by K. Kelley

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very active....
While I do enjoy my pretty little butterfly in a jar I am a little disappointed at his lack of movement. I'm glad I didn't disconnect the 'test here' button, so i make him move myself whenever i want. i was also not pleased that the lid isn't as silver as it looked in the picture. that was one of the reason i choose this product over several other options...i don't care...
Published 17 months ago by Pandora3d

5.0 out of 5 stars the best thing that has ever happened to my cat, February 26, 2012
K. Kelley (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Butterfly Collection - Animated Butterfly in a Jar - Blue Morpho (Kitchen)
I have the neediest cat on the entire planet. It's hard to get anything done around the house because she follows me EVERYWHERE. It's cute, yeah, but also incredibly annoying. Butterfly in a jar has solved this problem. It looks so real, she can't get enough. I put it on the floor and she watches it for HOURS. She wants to get it so badly, but seeing as Mr. Butterfly is stuck in his jar, she has become the most determined cat ever and you have to give her credit, she is really trying. Heck, this thing looks so real it even freaks me out sometimes. I have to remind myself it's fake. Hopefully the cat wont figure it out or I'm in trouble. :)

This thing is great, though. It is a little loud, so I turn it off at night. You can hear it clanking around in the jar, but it really does look real. ANY cat would love it. My cat is 14 years old, if she is entertained with this thing, I think any cat would be! I'm sure it would make a child very happy, as well, but I don't have any of those so I can't say for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Awesome!!!, January 28, 2011
Ok I bought this for my 12 year old son who loves bugs! This thing is so cool! It will actually open and close it's wings and then flutter around the jar like a true captured butterfly! It does have an automatic shut off after about three minutes unless you tap the jar lid again. The great thing about this butterfly is it DOESN"T DIE!!! In cast anyone is wondering it runs on three AAA batteries.

5.0 out of 5 stars OneForEachCat, February 23, 2011
Begged for two of these for myself last Christmas and am not disappointed ~ neither are my cats. One gets extreme entertainment from trying to catch the butterflies, while another constantly notices the fluttering sound from the baker's rack and tries to figure out a way to climb up there. You have to make sure to prop something like books around the base of the glass jar so that they don't tip and break and/or roll away while the fur balls play with them.

4.0 out of 5 stars I Would Have Given it 5 Stars But..., December 28, 2010
Glendale (Redondo Beach, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I bought two of the Blue Morpho "Butterfly in a Jar" (by Gemmy Industries). One worked but the other didn't. These "critters" LOOK, SOUND (I know butterflies don't make sounds, I mean the sound of it fluttering in the jar), and BEHAVE so realistically people cannot tell the difference until they look right into the jar and see the thin wire. Fyi, the jar is made out of glass.

With the other one, you would never have known it was defective until you follow the instructions (as I did with the other one) to take it out of the packaging's demonstration mode - unscrewing the jar's lid, removing the DEMO cable and positioning the switch from "TRY ME" to "ON". Once this is done, the butterfly should "come alive" anytime by tapping on the jar - as opposed to DEMO mode (with the cable attached) where it would only work for about a minute and stops until the DEMO button is pressed again. The second one sadly would not function in the "ON" position. Replacing the batteries (3 x AAA) did not make a difference. I will be sending the second one back for a replacement.

The butterflies I give 5 stars, but I would give Gemmy's quality control a much lower rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beauty in a jar, February 22, 2011
A Kid's Review
I am so thrilled with this amazing product. You could swear the butterfly is real as you watch it flutter around the jar and stop and flit its wings. Absolutely brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adorable!, January 2, 2011
I bought this for my mom as a Christmas present, and she just loved it! The butterfly flies around the jar like an actual butterfly, and her kitty absolutely adores it. Now I want one for myself! Such a neat idea.

5.0 out of 5 stars They left a bug in my jar, December 13, 2010
Great product and a good price. I got this for my daughter for her birthday so I haven't taken out of the box yet but I have played with the demo button. I looked at this thing for a while figuring out how they did it. It dose look real. I am very happy with this product and would recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars great item!, January 24, 2012
Bought this item for a birthday gift and the receiver absolutely loved it. It arrived in a large box which could probably have fit four of the jars with the outer box and bubble wrap. The out box came a demo button and it worked amazingly everyone thought it was a real butterfly.

4.0 out of 5 stars great gift, December 27, 2011
This was a Christmas gift for my grandmother, and she loved it. Received by promised time, and was very well-packaged.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great conversation piece!, December 21, 2011
Amazon Customer (Honolulu, Hawaii) - See all my reviews
I learned about this particular item from a friend's gadget-products catalog... it was really expensive in the catalog, but luckily I found it here, in Amazon.com, at a much better price + reasonable shipping fees. Anyhow, this product really isn't a toy, it's more like a decorative conversation piece. The way the butterfly moves in the jar is highly realistic - you can't tell it's a fake butterfly unless you go up close to the jar and see the very thin wire that causes the butterfly to move. Sometimes when I look at it, it takes me back to my childhood when I used to catch real butterflies in jars to keep them as pets for a little while.

Anyway, after receiving this item in the mail, I took it to work and placed the butterfly jar on my desk where my coworkers pass by to tap on the lid to make the butterfly flutter around. People who haven't seen it before ask me where I caught the butterfly at... because they've "...never seen a blue species in Hawaii". I just play along by saying that I caught it in my backyard until they make a closer inspection and realize that it's not a real butterfly after all - their reactions are often hilarious!

For those of you who are looking for something to pleasantly distract you during your busy day... or maybe, a "pet" that doesn't require any care or maintenance, I would highly recommend this product to you. I think the butterfly is stunning and the whole concept of the item is just awesome!

Rate and Discover Movies