5.0 out of 5 stars You have to see it to believe it!
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:32 Mins
My sister had one of these at her house. I like nature and don't mind "nice" bugs. This thing is too cool. The pictures in this site don't really explain it. Hopefully the video helps you see what it is like. I now have one on my desk. I swear it is alive. I talk to it. I really think it wants out.
Published on January 12, 2012 by T. Barclay

2.0 out of 5 stars Tangled wire after moments of operation
Published on February 1, 2012 by B. Ward

5.0 out of 5 stars You have to see it to believe it!, January 12, 2012
T. Barclay (Folsom, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Butterfly Collection - Animated Butterfly in a Jar - Yellow Swallowtail (Kitchen)
Length:: 0:32 Mins

5.0 out of 5 stars Charms everyone - even the cat!, April 20, 2011
I found this on a total whim at a gift shop and I was so charmed by it that I had to take one home with me. Now I want to get more for all my friends to enjoy, what a clever idea! I'd feel too mean to keep a real butterfly in a jar, but this one is surprisingly lifelike.

It looks just like an old canning jar, which makes it just that much more realistic. The sides of the jar are textured like a Ball jar is, with the "brand name" and measurements. At first I thought that was a shame, maybe you'd be able to see the butterfly better without the raised textured parts in the glass, but then I realized this helps make it more real and also distracts the eye from the tiny thin wire that propels the butterfly.

Just like you'd tap at a real insect in a jar to get it to move, you tap this one to start the butterfly's animation. Like I said - so lifelike! It has several different rotations of movement: it flutters, it flaps it's wings, and it also sits still sometimes while slowly opening & closing it's wings. Just like a real butterfly would vary it's movements, this one does also. You even hear it clink against the glass.

When you first receive your butterfly, do be sure to switch it from demo mode to fully on by unscrewing the lid and switching the switch. You can change the batteries when necessary, but as warned by the manufacturer, never attempt to remove the animation module under the lid (which you can see if you hold the jar up over your eyes, but generally remains well hidden underneath the metal screw-top lid.) Mine did come with batteries already in place, no need to buy them or install them myself.

Not only do *I* adore the butterfly (right now it's part of my springtime centerpiece on my dining room table, ready to charm guests when they come over), it's also been so much fun to show my two year old daughter, and also my cats have gotten so much entertainment by just sitting and watching it! I think this makes a very creative and perfect gift for almost anyone! I'm excited to introduce this fun little idea to more of my friends & family, it's just too cute & sweet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly realistic, July 29, 2012
I had the butterfly in a jar on my desk for a month - the engineers I work with were intrigued with it. (Except one that scolded me for being so mean to a butterfly as to keep the poor thing in a jar without even putting holes in the lid!) That was fun! I had to talk him out of taking it apart to see how it fooled him so thoroughly. This lasted through many hands shaking the jar and turning it upside down to see what made it go - and it still works after several months!

2.0 out of 5 stars Tangled wire after moments of operation, February 1, 2012
B. Ward (Las Vegas, NV) - See all my reviews
Purchased this item for my wife, she saw it and thought it was cute -- which it was, when it worked. I'm not certain if the wire was simply trimmed too long on this, or if this is a flaw in all of these particular items, but after moments of operation, the wire responsible for the "life-like" movement of the butterfly would tangle up on itself and the "butterfly" would just sit in the middle of the jar, tangled up in the wire, unable to move at all while the motor would just turn and turn.

All things considered, it DOES look very life-like, and while the jar was sitting on my desk at my workplace the day of the arrival, numerous co-workers commented on it and thought it was real at first glance. The product has great potential, this one just fell short of my expectations. I returned it hassle free and got my money back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item, loved it!, December 27, 2010
I gave this item to my mother as one of her Christmas gift. She loves butterflies and her favorite color is yellow so she item was perfect for her. Very realistic, she thought it was a real butterfly as many other members of my family did too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing little gadget, May 6, 2013
Length:: 0:25 Mins

I bought this gadget half off the Amazon price at a box store, that BIG one with LOTS of stuff. Get it? They had other colors and also a firefly version Firefly in a Jar - Realistic. I bought this yellow swallowtail to use to entertain foster kittens so I could get some cute photos of them. I tried it out on my poodle and as you can see he was a little too excited! He knocked it over several times and it didn't damage it, although it is probably not designed for that kind of rough treatment.

It looks so realistic and pretty that I will definitely keep it on the table and play with it. Except it drives poodle a little crazy. He kept jumping up to try and knock it off the table.

I think that mostly this item is good for kids and to entertain small docile pets, and as a conversation piece. It is very very lifelike; a house guest thought it was a live butterfly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Made a wonderful gift, March 4, 2013
Bought as gift for a grieving friend and she loved it. Thank you. Next one will be for me, it is wonderful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful product!!, November 15, 2012
This product is so life like its scary! Perfect gift for someone who has everything. I bought 3 for friends and family!

2.0 out of 5 stars fun, June 27, 2011
This was mainly purchased to be a cat toy. She loved it, and sits next to the jar and cries until I make the butterfly move for her. Realistic though a little too small to be truly life-like. The one thing I wish is that the butterfly would move for a longer period once activated.

update: worked two weeks and then the invisible wire became dislodged and it was returned. Was fun, but not remotely worth the price.

2.0 out of 5 stars Obviously Fake, September 21, 2011
I bought this so i could have a 'pet' in my dorm, and was surprised at how very fake it actually looked.
I understand it's not going to look like a real butterfly up close no matter what you do, but the string is clearly visible and the body loos like an aglet (the hard part of a shoelace). The wings are thin and plastic-like, but were printed well so they at least looked passable from a distance.
The thing I was most annoyed with was the noise the motor in the top made every time the butterfly moves. The clinking of the butterfly hitting the glass make it sound like the butterfly is desperately trying to escape for it's life, but it's passable. The motor noise, however, quite annoying. it can be a higher pitched hum sometimes and low when it's struggling to get the bug out of a place it wants to be. The butterfly also has a tendency to just rub across the glass of the jar and land with its' wings together.