Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

on September 27, 2012
My Call To The Ring: A Memoir Of A Girl Who Yearns To Box is the story of Deirdre Gogarty, an Irish lass whose love for the fight game in the `80s sets her on a quest to become a world champion - not exactly an easy task even without the fact Ireland banned women from the sport at the time.

Gogarty's story (written with Darrelyn Saloom) is well told and inspiring. However, there are two things setting this memoir apart from other similar boxing travails. The first is the atmosphere captured by the prose as it delineates the underbelly seediness of the training conditions faced by all but the highest level of boxers. There is no glamour here, just hard graft - hitting and being hit in tattered rings jerry-rigged in sheds and garages, stifling hot air, and the uncertainty of where the next fight, the next dollar, and sometimes even the next meal are going to come from.

Secondly, and most important to the success of the narrative, is the way Gogarty's `voice' has been captured. You believe Gogarty is sitting next to you, sharing her fears, shortcomings, uncertainties, defeats and triumphs.

As with her opponents in the ring, it is ultimately Gogarty's unrelenting courage and determination that leaves its mark on her readers. My Call To The Ring is a standout addition to the shelves of boxing literature.
on August 19, 2012
Having worked with a lot of designers and photographers, I'll admit that the cover of this book was the first solid punch it delivered. This is not a hastily written book for inclusion in the revolution of publishing. This book has substance spanning the cover and continuing all the way to the back page, which I left with tears streaming down my face. I don't even like boxing. But I do like memoir, and this ranks right up there with the best of them.

The story of Deirdre Gogharty's call to boxing, in a world where pretty little girls don't expose their faces and breasts to such abuse, could easily have fallen into boring repetition of punches and battles and, let's face it, trite tales of conquering the odds. As Deirdre rises above her obstacles, the storytelling keeps rising right along with her. Let's be honest about the obstacles life throws at us. Somewhere in the unfairness of things there is anger, there is the urge to strike out. I'm tired of gentle souls who repress everything under a cloak of Zen tranquility and happy dances. It's gritty and tough getting past those obstacles, and this book gives the reader a hearty dose of how we can direct those very human negative reactions with a body punch to the big bad unfairness we'll all encounter. Deirdre does achieve that center of calm and forgiveness and triumph, but not before she battles her way through a whole bunch of hurt and anger. The trite but true way most handle that anger is drugs, sex, or taking off to travel strange corners of the world where they sit at the feet of masters who help them change their heart and soul and lives.

Nobody helps Deirdre develop her character except Deirdre. Instead of the same-old, same-old stories of self-destruction before redemption, this is a story of self-building through grinding physical training and standing strong as the punches come directly at her face. Without ever waving her own flag and shouting, "Look at me!" Deirdre keeps pulling herself off the mat and digging deeper and deeper inside herself for the will to remain standing, even when the fight is dirty and the opponent is breaking all the rules. The reader can't remove their eyes, or heart, from her. How and why this extrodinary little girl made the choice of throwing her anger outward in a disciplined, calculated, and non-destructive path goes against everything we've been taught to believe about the human psyche. That uniqueness of character sticks to Deirdre like the Vaseline smeared all over her body before a bout. She abandons all the easy ways of easing her inner destruction--suicide, bitterness, self-destruction, destruction of others, clinging to home and family--and wins.

Deirdre's story is astounding, but it's how this story is told that delivers it to the reader with passion, constraint, and blazing artistry. I lived in Vegas for 30 years and daily drove past Tyson's home on my way to work, which was two doors down from the boxing gym owned and run by Mohammad Ali's daughter. I've crossed paths with Don King so many times the desire to brush that head of hair has worn off. It isn't that I don't like boxing as much as I'm simply not impressed. But Darrelyn Saloom's writing is so outstanding that I was sucker-punched into the story without ever seeing her writer's hand at work. She steps back from the story at just the right times and lets the story tell itself, yet there are passages of beautiful prose I had to read again and again to figure out how she did it. Deirdre's story is one of boxing match after boxing match, and that can get old fast, but not with Saloom bringing the reader inside the ring and pumped up with every punch thrown. That's not an easy task, but she did it. Without knowing anything beyond the pomp of boxing, this reader easily followed the technicalities of a boxing match, knowing when the fight was dirty, which combination of blows was working or thwarted, and caring deeply about the outcome. Caring about a gawky little girl whose struggle follows her from childhood through agonizing years of budding adulthood. I can't figure out how Saloom pulled that off, despite my years working as a development editor. This is writing at its best. A knockout.

It's been a long time since I've read a book I had to put down so I could walk outside and have a good cry, then pick up the book again and throw back my head in laughter. Deirdre, sweetheart, what were you thinking when you bought that limousine? For the past year, I've lived in the River Valley Region of Arkansas and often drive into Ft. Smith for shopping and our beloved coffee. Since finishing this book, I can't make that drive without thinking about Deirdre and her first bouts fought there. Wow! Deirdre was here! How cool is that? I scan the many photos I've taken of the same tourist attractions Deirdre visited and share the same excitement of the hanging gallows as Deirdre. It takes an incredible journey told with the help of a skilled writer to pull a story so deeply inside the reader that it becomes a part of them.

There's gratitude in having found this book and devoured it. Deirdre has answered the question of just how long can a person hang on and keep fighting. Saloom has answered the question of how a writer can cross subject matter filled with landmines of failure without stepping on any of them. And living here in the tongue of the buckle of the Bible Belt, which is often oppressive, this book has taught me how to rise above my own doubts of faith and pray again from the heart without fear of an heartless God.

Reading is time spent that can never be recovered. That's the way it usually works, but with this book, the time spent is repaid with compound interest, giving back much more than initially invested.
on September 6, 2012
I read this book on Kindle edition primarily because of my connection to one of the authors as a fellow blogger. I would not have picked up a memoir about a woman boxer otherwise. But I loved the book on its own merits. Beautifully structured. About a woman's growth into full flower in every way, not just as a boxer. I mention the book in my own blog post about e-reading here[...]
on August 24, 2012
An inspiring well written story (you don't even have to be a boxing fan to enjoy).

If you like a book that expresses many emotions of an human being, you won't be disappointed. You want won't to put the book down until you read the last page of the last chapter.
on August 10, 2012
I have read this book cover to cover. Whether you are reading for the purpose of women's equality, a come from behind victory, true guts and determination or a sports champion, it is all here! I want to meet this champ to have my copy signed. It will remain with my collection of favorite books
on January 4, 2013
Couldn't put it down! Was a great book about a young woman with grit! Looked at video's of her fighting and she is quite the gal. She found her passion and was like a dog with a bone.... no one was going to take it away from her. Excellent Book
on December 5, 2012
Wonderfully descriptive and lively memoir set in Ireland and the United States. It's narrated in a very likable, easy-to read voice.

Deirdre Gogarty struggles at school with harsh teachers and bullying students and at home with an autistic brother and a depressed mother. After seeing an interview on television with Jack Dempsey, she asks her dad for a punching bag. He gives her a makeshift one, and she stuffs it with newspapers. And this changes her life. She says, ""I don't need a nun's blessing because I know my salvation is buried in a punch bag stuffed with newspapers and rags."

By sixteen, she loves boxing and studies its history and from her summer job saves enough money to buy boxing gloves. And is able to train at a boxing club.

Then she gets to come to the United States where it's not forbidden for women to fight. And she gets to fight in Louisiana, Mississippi, and even in my hometown of Fort Smith, Arkansas. And then finally in Vegas. Great descriptions and insights--"Waiting is the worst part of fighting." I hate to reveal too much more about what happens. I just want to say that this is a truly inspiring story. I loved it.
on September 1, 2012
My Call to the Ring is such a rich and powerful story. I found myself incredibly drawn into the life of this girl who first has to survive the nuns at school and then knows deep inside she wants to be a boxer--so her first order of business is to construct a makeshift punching bag filled with newspaper. This memoir is that kind of story--rich in detail, rich in emotion. In Ireland in the 80s and following, women aren't allowed to box, and so I was so pulling for Deirdre to overcome all those obstacles--which is analogous of life to each of us. And that is a big draw about this book to me, you don't have to be a boxer, a woman, Irish to feel deeply these moments--life is about challenge, failure, success, love. In addition to My Call being this amazing tale, the prose is clean, vivid, and packs a punch as hard as Deirdre's fists surely do. But I'm not one who wants to find out that particular detail!
on August 23, 2012
After reading Deirdre's book, I have developed a profound admiration and respect for this highly recognized woman. All I knew about her (before reading the book), was that she was a World Boxing Champion and that my son was deeply in love with her. I was never a boxing fan, and found myself wishing I could have been there watching her fights. The intense of her training and determination was overwhelming. I cried, I cheered and I sympathized throughout the book. This book is not just about boxing, but about a girl who had to overcome many obstacles in order to pursue her dream. Once I started reading the book, I couldn't put it down, and so wanted to hear more when I reached the end. I speak for all in saying that we are so proud and fortunate to have her in our family. She is an inspiration and 'wonderful' woman. I so recommend this book to EVERYONE. We love you Dirty Dee!!
on August 22, 2012
"THE TRUTH IS STRANGER THAN FICTION" and "THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE". This passionate inspiring story will keep you glued within it's pages. The cover is fantastic and the story begs to be heard. A lesson in perseverance for each of us. A must read.