on January 31, 2012
First off I must admit that I am not a fan of fantasy novels, but I wanted to try a new genre and had heard about this author and this book when it was offered free. I was pleased to discover that it was well written and an enjoyable read. There were some elements that were hard for me to accept, but I think fans of fantasy will have no problem with that. I am very much a realist and it is hard for me to suspend my disbelief.

That said, I think readers would enjoy this book. The relationship between the human characters - and the sea creatures - was very well done, and it was unique to find octopi as characters in a story. The descriptions were solid, placing the reader firmly in the scene, and the dialogue was top notch.

The reason I gave this three stars instead of four - which the quality of the writing deserved - was that the story seemed incomplete when it ended. Then I realized this is more of a teaser for the other book dealing with this same world and characters. If I was a fan of fantasy, I would go buy that other book with no hesitation.
on July 16, 2012
Great continuation of the series but it is a short story!!! I was quite angered when I realized it was only 24 pages long because what I read was outstanding.I will make sure that I check page lengths from now on as this is the second time I have been caught by what I perceived to be a book for a great price.
on February 9, 2012
Dr. Megere Cliff is glad for the opportunity to serve as surgeon aboard the flagship of her lover Adrew Osprey, Admiral of the Fleet and Lord of the North. She is less than thrilled, however, when the sentient octopi who rule the depths of the oceans request a consultation with their human neighbors. Megere has encountered the octopi before but this time, instead of simply allowing the octopi to read her thoughts, she must try to learn from them as well--because something beyond belief has happened, with potentially deadly implications for both octopi and humans.

Set in the same universe as Sizemore's novel Memory of Morning, My Dearest is a truly delightful short story set in a richly detailed fantasy world. The sympathetic characters juggle priorities any reader can relate to--family, colleagues, career-- with admirable wit, humor, and courage. And in the background of Megere's personal concerns, larger problems are brewing, in the realms of religion, politics, and everyday life.

Read My Dearest for pure fun, or read it for your first glimpse into a vivid, fascinating fantasy world--either way, you'll enjoy yourself!