5.0 out of 5 stars Intense Glimpse into the afterlife!
Published on March 29, 2005 by S. Ward

3.0 out of 5 stars Much to think about
Howard Storm writes yet another personal account of a near death experience. Storm was an atheist who believed in oblivion after death, the cessation of being. His account differs slightly from the norm in that he describes his journey into a place of darkness, where unseen tormentors mocked and tortured him. In this state, he describes how an inner voice called on him to...
Published on October 20, 2007 by Luis A. Hernandez

5.0 out of 5 stars Intense Glimpse into the afterlife!, March 29, 2005
S. Ward "stan_the_man" (Apache Junction, Arizona USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Descent Into Death: A Second Chance at Life (Hardcover)
I was surprised at the small size of this book, but what a powerful message for those who will understand it! I started reading it and finished it in just under 3 hours. I was a licensed Baptist Minister in the early stages of my life, but became disillusioned by many of the rituals and views that were imposed by many in the church. Through it all, I kept my belief in God according to what I believed the Bible taught, and not according to what was being taught by man. This book describes my understanding of God and the afterlife as I personally believe it to be. Excellent reading for those who are searching for a glimpse of what is to come, or those who have lost a loved one and look forward to being re-united after life on this world is over.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Powerful and Hopeful Message for All, January 29, 2006
This review is from: My Descent Into Death: A Second Chance at Life (Hardcover)
Howard Storm's NDE is one of the most uplifting and persuasive NDEs that I have read. There is much there for the confirmed Christian and much for someone of any other faith. Parts of Howard's experience fall right into accepted Christian doctrine and parts don't. Those reviewers that rigidly "apply" Christian doctrine to reject Howard's story simply miss the point. So do those who reject Christianity and therefore reject stories such as Howard's. The message is one of hope and love, not doctrine.

First, Howard Storm was not a "Christian" when he had his NDE. Instead, he was totally indifferent to God, and became a Christian only after his NDE. Howard's NDE begins when he dies and finds himself in an existence with countless other loveless/godless beings who did nothing but attack and dismember him (and worse). In the depths of his despair, Howard the atheist remembered a line from a song to Jesus from his childhood and began to sing it. Jesus rescued him. Howard learned the hard way that Jesus was his best friend. Yet if Jesus can save an avowed atheist, and be "best friend" to such a person, then Jesus can also save anyone, including other atheists, Hindus, Catholics, Presbyterians, Moslems, etc. Second, when Howard asks one of the "Angels" with whom he visits "what is the best religion?" he's told that it is "the one the brings you closer to God". This is hardly Christian doctrine. In fact, those defenders of Orthodox Christian doctrine will find much to condemn in Howard Storm's NDE.

Incidentally, I had to chuckle at the irrefutable logic of Jesus when he pointed out to Howard that there really were no atheists because it is impossible to believe in nothing.

One of the main messages set forth in Storm's book about his NDE is that your life matters because of the way in which it affects others. This is a common thread in most NDEs, Christian and otherwise. As you affect others, so do you also affect yourself and God. If you choose to live without concern for others, you've chosen to live without concern for God as well. As it was pointed out to Howard during his NDE, the opposite of the love for God is not hatred of or anger at God, but indifference. The opposite of love for others is indifference as well. It is possible to "reject" God's love by your actions, whether you are an atheist or a Christian.

Howard Storm's book contains a great deal of hope, love, inspiration, as well as some warnings about how you live your life, its effects on others, and the effect your life will have on you in the afterlife. It is these warnings, coupled with Howard's bedrock belief in Jesus as his Lord and Savior that some reviewers find disturbing. Many NDEs are non-threatening because they affirm that God is all loving and will love us no matter what we do. Most NDEs (at least the popular ones) assure us that we will all be saved and in heaven with God when we die (or at least reincarnated to try again) because God is all loving and all good. NDEs that reject this concept (and there are just enough to cause you to pause and think about it) are usually ignored.

I believe God's love will save us all. Howard Storm's NDE reaches the same conclusion, but warns us that God gave us free will and we are free to reject God's love. Storm's NDE points out that in the spirit realm of the afterlife, your spirit cannot lie to itself about whether it accepted or rejected God's love in this life. You will judge yourself truthfully and accurately in the afterlife. And there are consequences. I highly recommend this book.

Howard Storm closes the book with this line: " Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life. He is the best friend you will ever have." Amen!

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST read for anyone who's ever wondered, "Why . . . ", March 21, 2005
This review is from: My Descent Into Death: A Second Chance at Life (Hardcover)
I chose to buy this book based in part on a passing interest in near-death experiences, and also because Rev. Storm is a pastor in my city. I started reading the book last night and literally could not put it down for the first 70 pages. I'll likely finish it tonight. In just that short time, this book has already changed my perspective on life. I'd considered myself a spiritual person, if not a religious one. This book makes God real, and drops away all the pretenses and exclusions that had somewhat turned me away from organized religion. I'll be sharing this book with everyone I love. Whether you believe in any kind of God or not, just try reading this book. It's very short, and you have nothing to lose by reading it. It just might change your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my life., July 11, 2005
This review is from: My Descent Into Death: A Second Chance at Life (Hardcover)
I was led to buy this book, I feel. I literally could not put this book down. I started reading it in the bookstore, purchased it, read for 20 minutes in the car before leaving the parking lot, came home,and did not put it down until I finished it. Since then, I have gone back and re-read the parts where Howard converses with the angelic beings and Christ. It is compelling, and rings true to me. I cried as I read his account of his life review. My heart changed during reading this book, and I am grateful that I still have time to change my life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heaven and Hell are real, August 26, 2005
This review is from: My Descent Into Death: A Second Chance at Life (Hardcover)
This is a very good book that you will not put down untill you finish. And when you are finished you will either say, "that's what I thought" or "is he telling the truth?" depending upon your preconceptions. No matter what though, there will probably be something rather disturbing and provoking the Rev. Storm's encounter with the afterlife.

Conservatives will be disappointed in some things that Jesus had to say, though they might be surprised to know how much they agree with Storm's Jesus. The question, "What religion is best?" (or something to that effect) was answered as " the one that brings you closest to God". It is not clear if the term religion was referring to Christian denominations or world religions. You do not get a sense of religious pluralism in the book. It seems to confirm that Jesus is the Way to salvation.

I heard Rev. Storm on the Art Bell show not too long ago. The host asked Storm about the truth of other religions, say Buddhism. Rev. Storm said that he did not ask the angels that question when he was there so he does not know how they fit into the big picture.

Some of the more progressive Christians may be surprised that a thing like Hell exists at all.

One must also keep in mind that Rev. Storm, at the time of these encounters, was an atheist more preoccupied with secular issues of the world and less so with spiritual. Is it possible then, that these notions influenced how he retold his story? Just a thought.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and Motivating book... a must read!, March 2, 2007
This review is from: My Descent Into Death: A Second Chance at Life (Hardcover)
I can testify from my own NDE that what Mr. Storm describes is very much consistent with my experience, with the exception that I never travelled outside the light. I can understand his not wanting to write the book for many reasons, but I'm certainly glad he did. I found his experience as a validation for things I've personally wondered about both before and following my NDE. I thank him for writing and bringing new motivation to myself and my family. There are so many things I know he didn't write about because there just aren't words to describe it all, but this certainly gives the reader very good insight into what our Father intends for us in this life. It's rare that I feel comfortable even talking about my own experience so I am impressed that Mr. Storm has shared this and I hope that every reader finds meaning within their own life that will lead to an improvement of our existence in the days we have here.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... and I thought Raymond Moody's LIFE AFTER LIFE was "thought provoking!", March 23, 2007
Barbara Stienstra (Goshen, New York United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Descent Into Death: A Second Chance at Life (Hardcover)
If I could give this book ten stars, it would easily have earned such a rating!
"My father had been a lieutenant in the navy and wanted a highly disciplined home life. My mother had been raised in a very strict Lutheran Finnish immigrant home and accepted her husband's complete authority over the running of the family... My father gave commands and the family obeyed promptly...
I saw how I was being trained to repress emotions and was obedient so as to win the approval of my parents. I was also learning that my father completely dominated all of us by the treat of his anger. Although we were not allowed to show anger, I was learning what a powerful means of controlling people anger could be." [Page 31-32].
"I did not understand -- nor did my generation -- that love and sexual relations are not the same thing. We viewed members of the opposite sex as objects to be exploited for sexual gratification..."[Page 34].
"The more you succeed, the more driven you are to prove your worth. I bought into this game hook, line, and sinker. I was caught dangling on the strings others pulled, missing the simple love and joy of wife and family."[Page 35].
"... I acquired the habit of swearing profusely. This became an unconscious habit and meant nothing to me. To use vulgar words is only poor taste. To use the name of God in crude or empty ways is an insult to our Creator..." [Page 36].
"We are to care about all people and be willing to help heal the spiritual sickness before it leads to the desire to kill. The way to prevent war is to love aggressively and care for all people. Sufficient wealth, food, and resources exist for every person in the world. Wars result not because there is a scarcity of resources, but because of our desire to possess the resources to the exclusion of others. God loves every man, woman, and child... to learn the truth, have freedom from fear, have self-esteem, be procreative, live in community, find complete joy, trust in God, and become the wonderful people that God created us to be."[Pg. 41].
"... Every religion began with revelations of God, and in time we have perverted these revelations and created religous tradition to serve our worst instincts... All of heaven is horrified by our use of the name of God to do harm to one another. This is the worst mistake we can make." [Pg. 42].
With regard to the Holocaust -- personally, I had a "hard time with this" as I would have thought the spirits would have exited their bodies at the time of death (which seemed to be quite a bit of time prior to this vision, as they were stacked waiting cremation)and did not "wait" to leave until they were in the crematorium incinerators to exit and float out the exhaust chimnney stacks!
Page 42
"We went to the area where the selection process was taking place and heard the guards talking about 'the Angel Maker.' We went to the place the guards were referring to as 'the Angel Maker,' which was a series of ovens. I saw piles of naked corpses being loaded into the ovens, and I began to cry. Jesus said to me, 'These are the people God loves.' Then he said, 'Look up.' Rising out of the smoke of the chimneys, I saw hundreds of people being met by thousands of angels taking them up into the sky. There was great joy in the faces of the people, and there appeared to be no trace of a memory of the horrendous suffering they had just endured. How ironic that the guards sarcastcially called the ovens 'the Angel Maker.'
I asked how God could allow this to happen..."[Page 43].
"God inspires every insight of science. We had used this inspiration to further our means of destruction." [Pg. 43.]
Mind over matter...
"God wants to us the power to control matter and energy with our minds, the ability to communicate directly with our thoughts, to travel through time and space by will, to have knowledge by contemplation. The power of these gifts is beyond our wildest imagination, but they will not be ours until we mature spiritually and can use these powers wisely and lovingly." [Pg. 44].
"Th e United States has been given the opportunity to be the teacher for the world, but much is expected of those to whom much has been given. The United States had been given more of everything than any country in history of the world, and it has failed to be generous with its gifts. If the United States continues to exploit the rest of the world by greedily consuming the world's resources, it will have God's blessing withdrawn. Your country will collapse economically; which will result in civil chaos. Because of the greedy nature of people, you will have people killing people for a cup of gasoline. The world will watch in horror as your country is obliterated by strife. The rest of the world will not intervene because they have been victims of your exploitation. They will welcome the annihilation of such selfish people. The United States must change immediately ..." [Pg. 47.]
"Since 1985, when I was told these things about the future..."[Pg. 48.] How long will God allow the injustice to continue? The future lies in the choices we make right now. God is intervening in direct ways in human events. May God's will be done on earth as it is in heaven." [Pg. 48].
"Love attracts more love and hate attracts hate." [Pg. 52].
"God is not confined to individuals, tribes, nations, religions, or any other institutions. Our cultural bias is collective egocentric pride. Since we are finite creatures raised in specific cultures, we are shaped by our culture. To know God, we have to surrender our individual and collective pride/ego if we are ever to know God's love.
Too often we claim God's love for our closed group. We exclude everyone outside the group as being outside God's love. This is opposed to God's will. God loves everyone beyond anything we can imagine. God loves atheists, agnostics, murderers, prostitutes, thieves, drunks, drug addicts, homeless people, and liars. God abhors behavior that demeans and destroys godliness, but God loves the person." [Pg. 61-62}
"We can wrestle, argue, plead, laugh, cry, hold, and push away the person we are in love with." [Pg. 65].
"God came into the world by filling a man with the Spirit of God. This man was human in every way and the perfect love, will, and Spirit of God in every way. Incredibly, this person came via the most humble, impoverished birth imaginable. His infancy was spent as a refugee. His youth and early adulthood were spent as a skilled craftsman. He lived in a noccupied and oppressed country far from the center of power of the civilized world. He taught and healed the sick for three years and was killed, suffering the worst possible death of a criminal. After he was dead and buried, he reappeared many times to hundreds of people. By his death, he conquered the power of death and invited all people to eternal life with God in heaven.
The reason he has a billion and a half followers today is because he is alive, speaks and heals today."[Pg. 67]
"Humans have tried to make him into an exclusive cult, but Jesus came for all people, and the Christ reaches to all people everywhere in all time, space, heaven and hell. In my experience I was with him, and I will never be apart from him in this world or the next..." [Pg. 67]
"...6. Find your soul mates. God brought my wife and me together to learn love."[Page 143].
"I learned that this church was a denomination (United Church of Christ) that comprised in part the Congregation Church I had been raised in. My sponsor... explained to me, 'God wanted you to grow where you were planted." [Pg. 114].
"True religion is the love of God in every word, thought, and deed of the person. God loves all people and is pleased by religions that seek him in spirit and in truth.
God abhors the misuse of religion that creates divisiveness between people, that justifies violence, that promotes pride in self-righteousness. God is far greater than any religion. The Spirit of Christ speaks to all people in all time to draw them to God." [Pg. 73].
"Many religious leaders are expressing tolerance and respect for differing religions. God creates variety in everything he does, and we will ultimately find the same God, the same, Christ, the same truth in all religions. The differences between religous beliefs are man-made. The essential truths underlying religons are God-inspired. The Spirit of God will bring us to the truth." [Pg. 128].
".... the circumstance of their culture can influence them, but they do not determine what a person will choose..."[Pg. 79]
"Life in the world is not about acquisitions, power, or pleasure." [Pg. 78].
"Why doesn't God do something so spectacular that we would know what we are supposed to do?" {Pg. 79.]
Has He not done enough in the creation of all things and the miracle of Jesus?
People who have had N.D.E.: "...tell(ing) it to a nonjudgmental listenerthe re is a need for people in the helping professions, such as clergy, psychologists, doctors and psychiatrists, to encourage people to share their stories without being judged or ridiculed."[Pg.95].
"These experiences are almost common but are too often kept private for fear of ridicule." [Pg.106].
"... the Bible speaks God's Spirit to us, but do we listen? Are we thirsting for the truth?" [Pg. 103]
"Having faith gives one courage to do things one would never do, and the patience to endure the unendurable. Faith gives hope when you haven't a clue how things will turn out. Faith gives joy when everything is bleak..." [Pg. 105].
"... Many times I was horrified by the self-centeredness of the people I worked with in academia..."[Pg. 115]. "I found it increasingly difficult to live and work in both worlds simultaneously because of the difference." [Pg.115].
"This story makes visible the invisible in our lives. What we have been blind to, now we see. When you get it you will never let it go. The messagae has never changed. The message is how much God loves us and cares about us. The message is how we can respond to this great love.
I give you my story in the hope that you will find or more fully appreciate where God is in your story... God wants us to come home." [Pg. 129].
What an "action packed" autobiographical work!!! My 88 year old mother devoured it after I completed reading it. Was it not Shakespeare who said "what's in a name?" Everything in this case: Howard's STORM of steel affirmation of faith! God spared him in order for him to get "the word" out to the world. God bless The Rev. Storm -- for his mission to the world!

Hugs,
From a E.L.C.A. -- P.K.!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Eye-Opening Account, March 21, 2005
Lisa Novak "Asil" (Minneapolis, MN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Descent Into Death: A Second Chance at Life (Hardcover)
I highly recommend reading this book. It inspired me spiritually and I am going to buy copies for many friends and family who are questioning the afterlife. If you're a believer in the afterlife, this will inspire the very essence of God in your life. I finished this book in record time, I couldn't put it down. Great insight and beautifully written.

5.0 out of 5 stars A most riveting, compelling, excellent work,, October 5, 2005
This review is from: My Descent Into Death: A Second Chance at Life (Hardcover)
This book gives all the angles, bad things can become good things. It pushes the envelope of your understanding and just about the time you think he is drifting away from the truth of the Word of God, he brings you right back and undeniably gives Jesus His rightful place. Covers hell, war, angels, the Holy Spirit, God, Jesus, the Bible, other religions our responsibility, free will, human relationships. It's amazing how much is covered so well in such a small volume. It will challenge you and make you aware of how easy it is to start serving the Lord from right where you are now. Beautifully written and exciting, if you need to know Jesus you will learn how, if you have known Him for a long time, you will love Him more. A wonderful account of God's great love for you. I have read several similar accounts but found this one when I was looking for one that didn't start out well, someone (a self described athiest) was literally on the way to hell. I highly recommend it for all readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST IS NOT A FUNDAMENTALIST CHURCH, July 28, 2005
This review is from: My Descent Into Death: A Second Chance at Life (Hardcover)
UCC is ANYTHING BUT FUNDAMENTALIST and may well be the most progressive denomination in existence. UCC accepts gay and lesbian pastors (there is even a transgendered pastor in Minnesota) and recently came out in favor of gay marriage. UCC stands firmly for social justice and peace. I am not sure, in detail, of Reverend Storm's views on these issues, but rest assured, he is NOT a fundamentalist. In his book, he clearly states that people of all races, ALL CREEDS, ages backgrounds etc are beloved by God and may receive his grace. In his conversation with the angelic beings, they even discount the importance of religion when asked which is the truest. 'Which ever one brings you closest to God" was their response. Hardly a fundamentalist sentiment! For the record, Rev. Storm is not , and has never been a televangelist. Thanks for allowing me to clear this up. I am a proud member of the United Church of Christ myself. It brought me much comfort that Reverend Storm opted to be a pastor in this denomination. He states that God placed him there as a youth and, thus, that is where God wanted him to be. Furthermore, I don't recall NDE accounts which contain fundamentalist messages. Most transcend denomination and religion. Lastly, would a fundamentalist preacher allow ANNE RICE to write the intro to his book? Think not.

At any rate, this is a wonderfully inspiring and comforting (the demonic experience is frightful enough, however, to make one shudder) book that has had a huge impact on my spiritual development and direction. It helped to dispell certain doubts I had about the metaphysical realm. It helped to pull me out of residual dogmatic clingings I had from my upbringing and realize that Love (and I use the capital L purposefully) is the most important thing.

Thanks for reading. May God bless everyone in all nations on all planets, and where souls exist out of the time/space continuum. No exceptions.

My Descent Into Death: A Second Chance at Life
My Descent Into Death: A Second Chance at Life by Howard Storm (Hardcover - February 15, 2005)
$17.99 $13.47