Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: My Dog Skip
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on January 3, 2003
What a wonderful book! Willie Morris is a wonderful storyteller and his re-telling of his childhood with his dog skip is just wonderful. He weaves a story that every pet lover and childhood pet owner can relate to. Willie is 9 years old when he gets Skip and they become inseperable. Skip is like a little brother to Willie who is an only child. Together they have many adventures in the Delta and spend so much time together. Skip is well known throughout the whole town and is pretty much treated like a little person.
The reader is transported back into the 40's with Willie and his dog. The imagery is so vivid that you really feel as if you are there. I love books set in this time period when things were so much simpler. Morris' story took me back to that time.
I very rarely cry at books, but I bawled at this one. It brought out so many of my childhood memories and I could hardly put it down. The adventures were wonderful, the scenery was vivid, and the characters are some that I will not forget for along time to come. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to take a little break from our fast paced world and visit Skip's!
on December 5, 1999
I LOVED this book. I have owned many a dog in my life and this book summed it all up well. Much better than the usual psychological gibberish about how we humans anthropomorphize our animals... who CARES! They are part of our lives and part of our families (for most of us anyway) and this story draws out all the feelings of love, laughter and loss that each of us who have loved and lost a dog know. It was a great read.
on March 1, 2000
I read this book when it first came out about five years ago. I think it's a wonderful story about a small boy and his best friend. It also is a very good look at what life was like in America, particularly in the South, at a time when things weren't as complicated as they are today and when a kid could really just be a kid. I was born in the early '50's, so I can sort of relate to some of Willie Morris's adventures as a child, even though I grew up in a big city (Memphis, TN). I am currently reading "Spit McGee" and I find it just as cute and charming as "Skip". I can't wait to see the movie. I recommend this book to anyone who has ever owned a dog (I have a 13 year-old beagle) who, while not as energetic as Skip, is just as special to me as Skip was to Willie Morris.
VINE VOICEon January 22, 2001
Willie Morris was one of America's finest 20th century writers, in the same category as William Faulkner. So it is no surprise that, since he wrote a dog book, it is the ultimate dog book ever.
Simply stated, MY DOG SKIP is his memoir of his love affair with his dog. Like so many little boys, especially only children, his relationship with his dog was one of the purest, strongest loves that any person can know.
In describing their great love, Morris inescapably also must describe his childhood in a small town of the American south, circa 1930. As a direct result of the lyricism of Morris' prose, this book then becomes a perfect snapshot of the slow, honest, rhythms of life in towns like his.
The book ends as all these stories do. A tribute, once again, to Willie's skill is that the inevitable does not become maudlin.
The movie which was made from this story was extremely well-received. I had read that Mr. Morris had visited the set very shortly before his unexpected death, and that he had proclaimed himself pleased with the film. I am so glad that this gave him pleasure, because he has given so much pleasure to so many readers over the decades.
on March 17, 2000
What a joy to read. The book really pulls you in to the life of the boy and his pooch. Even though I grew up in a different time and place this book brings back great memories. A must read for all dog lovers and those who love to remember simpler times.
on January 6, 2004
Willie Morris has recounted the life of not just a boyhood pet, but a dear and close friend.
The Story of Skip's life as told by his owner is full of mythic adventures of childhood. Where every new day was full of joy and wonder. Morris' storytelling brings the dog, his family and the lush southern landscape into full and brilliant view.
When you read My Dog Skip you can just feel how much this young man loved and revered his dog.
Any of us who have had a much loved pet know that the bond between animal and human can reach so much further than just "pet and owner". Willie Morris makes the statement that Skip wasn't just his dog, but his brother... that is a beautiful thing. Morris grew up an only child but did not feel alone by any stretch of the imagination. He was loved deeply by and deeply loved his dog Skip.
Another great point made in this book is how Willie Morris learned so much from his dog Skip. He clearly states that the most lasting lessons he has learned about love and loyalty came from knowing his dog.
This book captures so well the love a boy or any human being can have for a pet... I loved the story and highly recommend it!
on October 4, 2000
I encourage each of you to read, "My Dog Skip"...share it with your children, your friends, or the one you love...and fill your heart with the wonders and memories of childhood...the pain and joy of growing up. The true story by Willie Morris takes place in Yazoo City, Miss. during WWII and tells the tell of an shy boy...whose life changes dramatically when his parents give him a dog. The words of Willie Morris will stir the emotions of every reader and bring back the memories of a childhood lost. Only the harden few will put it down without tear-filled eyes. It is not only for dog lovers...it is a story for ALL of us! It reaches back to a time we imagine was a better place...a simpler time with a sense of honor, tradition, and duty. I loved "MY DOG SKIP"...and you will too!
on November 14, 2001
We read this book for our education class at The University of Mississippi. This a great book for any ages. Willie Morris is a phenominal writer. His writing style will grab you and pull you right into the book. If you like books about childhoods, animals, or the south this is the book for you.
The setting is in a small Mississippi town. We throughly enjoyed this book because it mentioned names of towns that we could relate to, it also mentioned our school, Ole Miss. The relationship that the boy and dog have in this story is unlike any other!
Willie Morris takes the reader into many adventures with 'Ol Skip. There are many things that take place in this book that could appel to a wide audience.
This book can give anyone the appreciation of what it was like to grow up during a time of war and hard times, and the hard times of just being a kid.
This is a book that anyone can read over and over and never get bored!!
on January 14, 2001
My Dog Skip is a wonderful account of Willie Morris and "Skipper," Morris' boyhood dog. Morris describes all the fun, trouble, adventures, gaming, wondering, and excitement that he and his dog encountered as Morris was growing up in a small Mississippi town. The book itself is (as the inside cover details) a paean to an age of innocence. Moreover, "My Dog Skip" delineates what it was like to grow up in America's Southland during a time of world turmoil (WWII). Yet, in Mississippi, turmoil was something that was conjured up by the neighborhood kids and a tag along dog.
Willie Morris describes what it was like to be a child living during WWII, and how the news of the war, which was reported every day on the radio, affected the town's people, and Willie himself. Morris details parts of his little world with stunning descriptions, metaphors, and florid language that adds a wonderful reality to the book. In fact, this book is a wonderful personal history and description of America in the 40's and 50's.
Skip, Willie's canine companion, is America's dog. The truest companion a boy could possibly ever hope for. And, of course, Willie spares no words describing the things Skip enjoys. For instance, we learn that Skip runs deliveries and pick-ups for Willie and Willie's family. Also, Willie taught Skip to play football with his friends, and Skip excels at this sport. We also learn that Skip has no fondness for Hitler, and Skip also loves to chase squirrels.
Overall, this is a book that can be enjoyed by a very wide audience. It includes stories of baseball, football, WWII, adventuring, hunting, Boy scouts, and all the like. To some it will bring back fond memories of a certain time period and all the things and events that occurred during that period. For others it makes them imagine what things were actually like. Still, others may read this book and laugh, cry, or simply smile at the parading of a boy and his closest friend. This is an excellent read.
on December 30, 1999
Far and away, the best book I have ever read. With wit and heart felt emotion, this book transports you back to a time we all wish we could live again. It will make you laugh and cry as you can't help but remember your own childhood and beloved pet. A must read for any dog lover.