5.0 out of 5 stars How can you go wrong?, June 9, 2010
This review is from: My Father, the Captain: My Life With Jacques Cousteau (Hardcover)
Really - Jacques Cousteau is one of the truly unique persons who helped define the 20th century. Almost through him alone did we all learn about the world of the ocean. Jean-Michel was there for so much of the exploration as Jacques always knew his life's work should be shared with his family. Buy this book if you have ANY interest in Cousteau. There have been other biographies, but consider the source and the respect of the writer for his subject. It's a bit sentimental at times, but I grew up with Cousteau's articles in National Geographic, his show, the "Undersea World of..." and so nostalgia and sentimentality is part of the whole Cousteau ethos.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cousteau the Man, October 22, 2010
An insight into the human side of Jacques Cousteau and provides a very emotional trip through his life and that of his Family. A fascinating and personal view into the life of a very public man. A view of what a family can mean, and how easily it can be lost.

4.0 out of 5 stars My Father the Captain: a live of Jacques Cousteau, January 13, 2012
Here is a fresh portrait of the legendary Jacques Cousteau as seen through the eyes of his oldest son, documentary filmmaker and educator Jean-Michel. While touching on the high points of his professional career (and there are only high points), this biography is foremost a personal account, offering a rare behind-the-scenes view of the famous inventor, photographer, filmmaker, ecologist, author and visionary that was Jacques-Yves Cousteau. Telling is the story of an early car crash, which changed the elder Cousteau's life course. When his shattered arm turned gangrenous, Cousteau refused an amputation, stating: "I would rather die than live without both my arms." After several years of physical therapy in the ocean, he recovered almost full use of the arm; the accident truncated his trajectory towards Admiral but fixed his compass on the sea. And live he did, with garrulous charm, curiosity, relentless will, innovation and immense courage. In MY FATHER, THE CAPTAIN, Jacques Cousteau emerges as a complex, multifaceted man of brilliant gifts and complex contradictions. As Jean-Michel Cousteau writes:

"The moment we understand and accept the way other people live--other species, even--is the moment we can find a satisfactory solution to whatever problem we are confronting. My father understood this concept especially well. It was among his many gifts to be able to step outside himself and see a situation from another point of view. He saw the world as a sailor, as a businessman, as a moviegoer, as a fish. And the world looked back admiringly, for he couldn't help but understand. He placed himself in the perspective of others, and in this way found the points of connection that made his work so memorable, so meaningful."

Fitting nicely into both the science and biography genres, this cross-over book would be an excellent addition to any school or library. The writing is on a level that young adults can understand yet find challanging enough for further exploration and study.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Captain, March 5, 2014
I really liked this honest testament to Jean-Michel's life with, and at times away from, his dad. It came signed by the author as an added and unexpected bonus.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting perspective, January 27, 2012
1st the book was received in new condition.Any one interested in Jacques Cousteau or the Calipso will find it informative.Since I'm a Scuba diver , I thoroughly enjoyed it.They gave us the door to the Under Water World & learned the Oceans depths.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Father, The Captain, September 11, 2010
All the insight into what made the man that changed the world forever. He was more than I ever knew and contributed more than I ever imagined. Brilliant read.

5.0 out of 5 stars enlightening, March 27, 2014
watching Cousteau was one of my favorite things as a child, reading the book I see how amazing he truly was

5.0 out of 5 stars Captain of the Sea, February 15, 2014
This is a great book all about Captain Jacques Cousteau written by his son Jean- Michel. A wonderful insight into Jaques Cousteau life. Also contains some wonderful photos. Would recommend this book to all sea lovers.

4.0 out of 5 stars How to meet Jacques Cousteau and his work, August 11, 2013
The book gave an inside-the-family view of Jacques Cousteau and his family as well as his explorations. It covers many years so does not give great depth into any one area of exploration but leads you to find additional resources or films. Fun to read!

5.0 out of 5 stars My Father, the Captain: My Life With Jacques Cousteau, December 17, 2012
We bought this for our daughter as a gift. She said she really enjoyed reading it. She would recommend it.

My Father, the Captain: My Life With Jacques Cousteau
My Father, the Captain: My Life With Jacques Cousteau by Jean-Michel Cousteau (Hardcover - May 25, 2010)
$26.00 $17.84