5.0 out of 5 stars ANDRES SEGOVIA PLAYING AT 80 YEARS OF AGE, March 8, 2009
Philly Gal (Philadelphia, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Favorite Spanish Encores: Andres Segovia (Vinyl)
THIS LP WAS A LANDMARK: ANDRES TORRES SEGOVIA WAS 80 YEARS OLD WHEN HE MADE THESE 15 RECORDINGS. The master never faltered or faded, a most amazing guitarist who loved his instrument & music like nothing else in the world. We have owned this LP since it was released, and protect it with our lives! If you ever saw Segovia perform onstage, the sweet memory of his peaceful, collected face and nimble small hands would never fade. This RCA LP was an excellent recording for its time, and if you have a decent turntable and can get this LP in good condition, grab it! The LP was so fine that it made an excellent digital copy when we recorded it with 24-bit music software and burned it forever onto a CD. Amazon has not provided even essential information about this album, so we have added full information about it here for you:
Album Title: Andres Segovia-My Favorite Spanish Encores
Performer: Segovia, Andrés Torres
Label: RCA
Release Date 1974
RCA Catalog No. ARL1-0485A
TRACK LIST
SIDE A:
Track 1: Variations on a Spanish Folk Tune
Track 2: Soneto in D : Enríquez de Valderrábano (composer)
Track 3 : Pavana in E minor : Diego Pisador (composer)
Track 4: Gallarda in D : Alonso Mudarra (composer)
Track 5 : Folias de Espana, Op. 15 : José Fernando Marcario Sors (composer)
Track 6: Catalan Folk Songs-El Mestre, La Filla del Marxant : Miguel Llobet Soles (composer)
Track 7: Capricho Arabe : Francisco Tárrega (composer)
SIDE B
Track 1: Fandanguillo : Federico Moreno Torroba (composer)
Track 2: Arada : Federico Moreno Torroba (composer)
Track 3: Albada : Federico Moreno Torroba (composer)
Track 4: Nocturno : Federico Moreno Torroba (composer)
Track 5: Burgalesa : Federico Moreno Torroba (composer)
Track 6: Allegretto : Federico Moreno Torroba (composer)
Track 7: Torre Bermuja : Isaac Albéniz (composer
*** ENJOY! ***

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiration, September 3, 2010
This review is from: My Favorite Spanish Encores: Andres Segovia (Vinyl)
I have been looking for this album on CD off and on for YEARS. I had this rare gem in cassette (in the rough you might say) when I was a boy. My father gave me a warped classical guitar which i played at but never devoted to. I remember when I first heard Segovia playing on this album I thought it was several guitarists playing at once; my first exposure to classical guitar. I have collected Segovia's other albums when I could find them but none ever held me in thrall like this one. I go to sleep at night with my mothers over-sized headphones on listening to the nuances of his playing.

After over twenty-five years I still toy at being a classical guitarist though I have never achieved it... never-the-less I have collected every piece of sheet music I could find from this album and they have inspired me to keep trying.

I am so happy that it has been recorded to CD finally I thought it was lost in the Limbo of forgotten technology.

Thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful introduction to the world of classical guitar, November 4, 2010
This review is from: My Favorite Spanish Encores: Andres Segovia (Vinyl)
This was the first ever classical guitar recording I bought. It got me hooked on classical guitar. Since then, over 20 years ago, I have bought numerous guitar CDs of John Williams, David Russell, Julian Bream, and many others. My favorites on this Segovia recording include Folias, Torroba's Sonatina, Capricho Arabe, and Torre Bermeja. Other artists have done fine recordings of the aforementioned works, but I think Segovia's are the best.