Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

on August 15, 2012
If you're looking for a reasonably-priced telescope for amateur sky-watching with children, this is a good choice. We used this right after sunset, in an urban back yard, and were able to easily see Saturn's rings. I'm sure the viewing would be even better in areas with less light pollution. We have yet to test this with the moon, but are excited for a full moon, so we can see it in more detail. Stars aren't as exciting, as they just look like a bigger and brighter version of themselves, but planets are exciting to see. I would recommend this telescope to friends.
on December 14, 2013
I always feel like I'm writing to nobody, but here goes.

I had read the reviews of this product, which inspired me to buy it. I'm not very experienced with setting up a telescope, but it seems pretty easy to do from what I had read. Wrong. Firstly, the 'manual' it comes with gives little step by step instruction and even less information about using for the first time. It basically assumes that you have some experience with astronomy and using a telescope.

I set it up properly, but can't seem to get get anything out of the main lens. The finder lens is fine, but there is nothing about using the main lens, or the other power lenses it comes with. The manual itself has no contact information or troubleshooting from the company. After looking up 'My First Lab', I found that they make this telescope exclusively for Amazon. I called the company in VA, but the woman said that no one was there to help me out. She also took my information, saying someone would either e mail or call me back. No one did.

I contacted Amazon customer support, only to find out the exact same information. They said they would be more than happy to replace the telescope, and I did this, expecting that maybe the packaging would be a bit different and I would get a better manual the next time. This was not the case, as I got the exact same thing again. So I set it up and then attempted to look through the main lens. Same thing.

I called Amazon yesterday, only to have the exact same scenario play out. As I explained to the representative I spoke to, it does not seem to be a problem with the product itself. For me, it's more of a support issue with the manufacturer. I think the facility in VA is just a shipping warehouse, the actual company is in China. No one to give technical support.

So here I am with a pretty telescope I have no idea how to use. I'm at the cusp of returning it again for a full refund, as it does not seem I will get much support during this busy holiday season. My advice for those reading this review - unless you know what you are doing, stay away from this one.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon December 16, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a very good starter telescope for the price. It comes with two lenses (9 mm and 20 mm), and a 2x Barlow lens. Assembly was very simple. All lenses and the sighter are secured with simple thumb screws, so no tools are required. The optics are fine for this price range. If your child becomes an enthusiast, then an upgrade to some better optics will probably be needed, but this telescope is a perfectly fine entry point for the curious child. The front opening is a bit small, so the amount of light getting in to the optics is limited. That means that lighter objects in the sky will be harder to make out and you will lose some detail. But again, as a starter, this is fine, especially considering that incremental steps up in optics can get very expensive. As for using this telescope, the manufacturer did a great job on the tripod. It is very sturdy and has negligible shake. Adjusting the telescope's position is done with a long adjustment rod and by loosening a large finger screw on the tripod. Motion is smooth and solid for a telescope at this price level. Craters on the moon are great, and we can make out the moons of Jupiter. Will test on Saturn as it becomes more visible late at night over the winter. Since we can see the moons of Jupiter, I expect we will be able make out Saturn's rings as well. So overall, highly recommended as a starter telescope for your young child, especially considering the price.
on January 13, 2013
When my five-year-old asked for a Telescope from Santa for Christmas, I wasn't sure exactly where to start. I wanted something that would provide a good enough picture to actually see things while not something terribly expensive (we are talking a capricious five-year-old here).
This was a great find. Though we've only used it a few times, it gathers quite a bit of light and gives a pretty good view of other planets and a fantastic picture of the moon. The two eyepieces it comes with give you a good range of magnification and the included Barlow lens extends that even further. The tripod is nice a sturdy and gives a fair bit of height adjustability.

My only complaint here is with the mount. Quite often when the telescope is pointed at the desired object, tightening up the mount causes it to shift. This means you have to readjust and try to hold the telescope in place while re-tightening the mount. For the price, I don't expect a super high quality mount, but if the little one continues with here interest in Astronomy, we'll definitely be investing in a telescope with a good equatorial mount in the future.
on February 27, 2014
There was no option to buy this item new, only used. So I bought it from "Amazon Exclusive" in "very good condition. The item arrived in a huge box with no packaging, totally dinged up (probably from transit). Even worse, there were absolutely NO INSTRUCTIONS for assembly. Thus, the item is useless as delivered. I guess I'll return it, but shame on Amazon!!! I would give it 0 stars if I could.
on March 30, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This telescope has been a lot of fun for our family. We are complete novices at using telescopes, but have been successful at viewing the moon's surface, a planet, and some stars. The telescope has very good instructions for assembling, but not much about using the telescope (what to look for, recommended eyepieces for different situations, etc). We found it helpful to read about this online, or in an "Astronomy for Dummies" book (yes, really.)

This telescope seems to be sturdily made. The mount is sturdy, and the aiming mechanism works very smoothly.

We think this is a good value for a beginner telescope.
on December 20, 2015
well there is one bad thing, i ordered a stargazer & at the price i just
new it must be a toy & i could use it to watch the harbor boats i NOPE
when they say "stargazer telescope " it's the real deal, from the ground
up - i bought a monocular for the harbor boats -
on July 9, 2014
Purchased this for my grandson. It is a great telescope! The clarity of the stars and planets is amazing and he just loves looking up at the sky with it. It was a great price and something he really wanted. He is only 5 years old but really enjoys having this and will be able to use it for years to come. It is very sturdy and well made.
on January 10, 2013
This telescope is very impressive. It really has a lot of magnifying power for the price. It's also on a great tripod, easy to set up, and not necessary to have a table to set it on. I'm sure all of my grandchildren will enjoy star gazing with this! Well worth the price...and higher magnification than others of similar price.
on January 23, 2016
While the telescope was purchased for Christmas as a "first telescope" for my grandsons, it really isn't a good choice for novices. Magnification is great but it is NOT user friendly at all. I read similar reviews before purchasing and because of limited choices prior to Christmas ignored them, but I bet this gift won't get the use I had hoped, because of this. No user guide is provided, and don't overlook the importance of this, as I did. 3 stars are for the high resolution and magnification, but this was a HUGE disappointment.