Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Drowners Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on May 15, 2001
This book is the first and last choice of my 15-month-old daughter every night before she goes to bed. She delights in the pictures and simple text, and asks for it to be read over and over again. The age description says 4 to 8 years, but even the youngest readers can enjoy the colorful pictures and the story's adorable heroine.
An elegant simplicity of design and the use of primary colors make this book an attractive primer for bilingual study, as a little girl identifies with the world around her, beginning with animals: "I learned to jump from my friend the dog/ De mi amigo el perro aprendi a bincar." She learns to climb from a monkey, to explore from an ant, to watch the night sky from an owl, to sing from the birds. Then she learns to read from books, to study from her teachers and to play from her school friends. Best of all, she "[learned] to love from a friend like you/ Y aprendi como amor de un amigo como tu", adding an emotional element to the learning process. The drawings are simply constructed, kept to an appropriate language level, learning-friendly in concept and execution, the perfect introduction to bilingual language skills. Luan Gaines/ 2006.
on July 4, 2012
My son absolutely loves this book. When own several books by Taro Gomi and they definitely don't disappoint. The illustrations are cute and the words are short and sweet. My son loves to point out and name the animals and objects in the book. Every time we read the book, he points out new objects. Its a great way to teach him the names of objects and animals. I have since bought several copies of this book for friends and family and they have always been well received and loved. The most recent gift was raved about at the gift opening. Another parent that we had given the book to raved about how much they and their daughter love the book. I would highly recommend My Friend as well as any other title by Taro Gomi!
on February 23, 2016
This is a wonderful book - the illustrations are fantastic! My 20mo can sit and look at each page for so long finding new things every time! I have purchased more Taro Gomi books and cannot wait for them to arrive.
on January 8, 2012
"My Friends" is one of my favorite books. It is beautifully illustrated and a beautifully told story. My Friends teaches respect - respect and love for the world around us. I read My Friends to my son and look forward to sharing this book with him for years to come.
on February 20, 2015
This is one of my eighteen-month-old daughter's very favorite books. The illustrations are adorable & the words, simple and sweet. I've given it as a gift as well after becoming familiar with it. Darling book!
on January 18, 2009
This is a lovely book with the most wonderful illustrations. Since it was so highly recommended by our niece's 2-year-old daughter, Elle, I bought it for my 1-year-old grandson, Max. He was charmed. It does come as a board book, which is probably a smarter choice for a child this young.

Armchair Explorer
on March 18, 2013
In my normal fashion of over-parrenting I purchased about 40 bi-lingual books for my 5 and 3 year old children after reading a few articles about how they should be exposed to multiple languages at a young age. This is by far their favorite book. The amount of new words on each page keeps the process manageable for both mommy (who does NOT speak spanish) and kids and the artwork keeps them both looking at the pictures which helps to keep the words in their heads. Words are written clearly and the spanish is spatially separated from the english so it is less confusing for a young reader than some other books that we have. My 4/5 year old son can easily read the words now in either language. Both children had the book memorized within 2 weeks (which means a good 40 or so useful vocabulary words AND the ability to say the phrase "from my friend the X I learned to Y". We like to quiz each other in the car on the way to school each morning and the kids easily recognize these words when they find them in other books. They are also great words that are fun to know such as "take a nap", "run", "jump", "monkey" etc. Fun words that we can remember and actually use in everyday conversation. I just wish we could find some more like this one. Don't hesitate to buy it.
on April 25, 2016
This is our favorite book by Taro Gomi. Simple story, but never fails to capture my kids' imagination. Great illustrations. We add animal noises to make it more fun. Been reading this since my kids were 1 1/2 and they still really enjoy it a year later. Great book.
on May 7, 2016
We got this book for a 1st birthday present. It is easily one of my and my daughters favorite books. Images are pretty, has a variety of animals, and the writing is simple. I bought if for her friends 2nd birthday and will most likely buy for more.