5.0 out of 5 stars Sows the seeds of imagination
Published on February 28, 2010 by Brimful Curiosities

3.0 out of 5 stars What would your garden be like?
I love the concept of this book - a little girl who, while helping her mother in their garden, imagines the type of garden *she* would have. Her imagination is endless, from planting seashells to grow seashells, to jellybeans to grow candy plants, to all sorts of things in between!

I love books that inspire and promote imagination, and this book does just...
Published on June 25, 2011 by A. Williams

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Sows the seeds of imagination, February 28, 2010
This review is from: My Garden (Hardcover)
Mary, Mary, quite contrary, move over. There's a new girl in the garden -- a happy, little daydreamer who envisions chocolate rabbits, jelly bean bushes and seashell fields. Kevin Henkes sows the seeds of imagination and illustrates with colors of spring in his newest picture book, My Garden. A barefoot little girl helps her mother in a cheery garden by watering and weeding the plants. All the while, she fantasies about her ideal garden.

"In my garden, the flowers could change color just by my thinking about it -- pink, blue, green purple. Even patterns."

The little girl's vast imagination takes readers beyond the restraints of the world, into a extraordinary place where the flowers never die and where umbrellas conveniently pop out of the ground just as the spring rain begins. Kevin Henkes adds another feather to his brimming hat with this beautiful book. His spectacular, watercolor illustrations overflow the pages with creative page layout. Fanciful images appear as full bleeds and then he takes readers back to reality with smaller spot illustrations. His book spurs the imagination and presents endless possibilities as a read aloud.

My daughter considered what her own garden might contain and decided on toys, kittens, puppies, and balloons! She loved thinking outside the box!
(Review copy provided by publisher)

4.0 out of 5 stars As fun as pink-and-purple plaid sunflowers . . ., March 15, 2010
This review is from: My Garden (Hardcover)
This is a very sweet book.

It is not, truth to tell, as absolutely perfect as Henkes's other books. Owen and Wemberly Worried and Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse are all genuine achievements in children's literature: books about kids' lives that don't sound like Books About Kids' Issues.

This book isn't quite as quirky and delightful and wise as those.

But it is still a very sweet book--a lovely walk through a little girl's imaginary garden, complete with giant tomatoes, chocolate bunnies (instead of the troublesome lettuce-stealing ones), jelly bean bushes, and pink-and-purple plaid sunflowers.

It's not a must-have children's book, but if you get it, you'll enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars How does your garden grow?, March 18, 2010
This review is from: My Garden (Hardcover)
Henkes' newest offering is in the same style as Old Bear and A Good Day, which in turn seemed to build on the black and white style of his Caldecott-winning Kitten's First Full Moon. Lots of soft, sunny pastels of green, pink and purple, outlined in thick muted blue lines dominate this springtime story. After spending the day in the garden with her mother, a little girl begins to imagine a fantasy garden. In her ideal world, "flowers could change color just by thinking about it." She also dreams of tomatoes as big as beach balls and flowers which grow back the instant you pick them. This isn't explicitly an Easter story, but she does wish for chocolate rabbits (instead of the pesky nibblers of her real garden) and bushes of jellybeans. When the girl gets ready to go inside for the night, she acknowledges that her dream garden probably couldn't really exist, but she does go ahead and plant a seashell... just in case. The author's sly wink of an ending shows a cutaway view with the shell growing roots.
Henkes fans will not be disappointed with My Garden. This book is sure to be a staple in children's book collections for many years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book to dream with, April 5, 2010
This review is from: My Garden (Hardcover)
I love choosing books for storytime that encourage children to think and imagine, and this one does just that. It's very simple both in text and illustrations, and the best part about it is that it promotes interaction. The kids had a great time telling me what they would plant in their garden! It's a perfect spring time read and a good way to start talking about gardens and growing things.

I do want to include how much I have enjoyed all of this author's most recent books. They are perfect for group sharing and all foster the imagination - from Birds, to A Good Day, to Old Bear and now My Garden, the author has provided us with beautiful spare stories that really pack a wallop and are a joy to share with even the youngest children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Students loved this book!, April 14, 2011
This review is from: My Garden (Hardcover)
I bought this book to read to my Pre-K class of 4 and 5 year old students. We are learning about growing things and have planted beans and peas. We also planted Marigold seeds to give as gifts for Mother's Day. This book was a great extension for the lesson. The pictures are beautiful, the story simple and it gave the class a chance to dream about planting other things in their own imaginary garden. They especially liked the chocolate rabbits that were planted in this book and the invisible carrots "because I don't like carrots". A lot of laughter came from this circle time story. I plan to read it each year during our spring planting unit. I also shared the book with other teachers who read it to their classes and had equally rewarding responses from their students. Keep writing Kevin!

5.0 out of 5 stars A special garden, June 30, 2010
This review is from: My Garden (Hardcover)
I was not sure of this one, as I have two grandsons who love plants right now. I thought maybe with the girl on the front, it wouldn't suit them. They both love this book. The 5 yr. old likes that he can have the garden his way and the 2 yr old likes the beauty of the flowers and that they would grow back when cut. We read this one several times a day and both boys sit to listen when one chooses it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute book for my Granddaughter, February 6, 2013
This review is from: My Garden (Hardcover)
Last spring my 3 year old granddaughter and I planted a garden. We are getting ready to plant one again. I thought that she would like some ideas of what to plant in HER garden. Cute book, made her think and wonder. Some of the important things to take away from reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars So imaginative & fun!!!, June 8, 2012
This review is from: My Garden (Hardcover)
I love this book! My 6, 4, & 2 year old bring it to me all the time to have it read to them. It stimulates the imagination and natural curiosity of my little ones and I love that! Fantastic book would highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Henkes does it again!, February 28, 2011
This review is from: My Garden (Hardcover)
My Garden is yet another simple and beautiful book by Kevin Henkes. He manages to perfectly harmonize vivid detail with enough ambiguity to allow children to imagine what might happen in their own magical garden. I love that the garden grows old-fashioned keys and my son loves the chocolate bunnies.

I never think twice about buying a new Henkes book and My Garden is no exception.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of things to discover in the pictures., June 16, 2014
This review is from: My Garden (Hardcover)
I've started a container garden this summer, mostly to give my 3 year old something to watch grow from seed to plants. So I got this book as a way of introducing him to the things to look for. He loved the book. We had fun looking at the pictures and finding things and reading it over and over.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

My Garden
My Garden by Kevin Henkes (Hardcover - February 23, 2010)
$17.99 $12.59