5.0 out of 5 stars Sequel Better Than The Original...Warm Hearted and Sweet
Published on April 2, 2001 by Paige Turner

3.0 out of 5 stars Broken case
The movie came in excellent condition but the case arrived broken and the disc was sliding all over inside the case luckily there was no harm to the disc.
Published 16 months ago by Nikki

5.0 out of 5 stars Sequel Better Than The Original...Warm Hearted and Sweet, April 2, 2001
This review is from: My Girl 2 [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Usually sequels aren't as good as the original (although there are exceptions such as the Star Wars trilogy and the Back To The Future series), but this movie is much better than its predecessor, "My Girl." It is a warm and fuzzy family film with a great soundtrack featuring songs of the early 1970s. Vada is now 13, tackling a school assignment in which she decides to write about her mother's life. A trip to California to visit her uncle aids in her quest to track down her mother's high school classmates and friends. With each person she interviews, Vada makes some unexpected discoveries about her mother. Her search culminates in a touching, sadly sweet moment when she is able to "meet" her mother. Along the way, Vada finds love from Nick, (played by Austin O'Brien), her somewhat reluctant escort who was paid by Vada's uncle to accompany her around town. I love the fact that all of the primary actors were retained for the sequel (except for Macauley Culkin, whose character died in the first film). Jamie Lee Curtis and Dan Akroyd give fine performances as the happily married Mr. & Mrs. Sultenfuss expecting their first child. While "My Girl" was sad and depressing, "My Girl 2" is positive, upbeat, and great fun. Don't let that surly old curmudgeon, Leonard Maltin, influence you with his review. This film is great family entertainment and quite enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Put on your mood rings, this film's groovy, May 19, 2000
Molly P. (Portland, Oregon USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Girl 2 [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Pixie-ish spitfire Vada Sultenfuss has grown up quite a bit since the first film. She's now thirteen years old, is no longer obsessed with death, and seems to have fully come to terms with the deaths of her mother and best friend. In the last film, Vada's father, Harry, got engaged to Shelly. In this one, they're married and Shelly is about eight months pregnant with Harry Jr., and Vada seems okay with it. Vada's a little miffed that her father still doesn't seem to understand her passion for writing, and she's worried that Shelly might die in childbirth like her own mother did. She also wants to know more about her mother. "I wish I could see her just once, even if it were only in a dream," says Vada. A school assignment to write about a person who's achieved something great, who she's never met, prompts Vada to research her mother. Her father, unfortunately, had such a "whirlwind courtship" with the late Maggie Muldovan-Sultenfuss that he can't tell Vada very much about her mother. "Everything I know about her fits into one little box," Vada sadly tells Shelly, showing her stepmother a blank passport, some play programs, and Vada's almost-empty baby book. Shelly eagerly suggests that Vada go to California to find out more about her mom--after all, that's where Maggie grew up, and Vada's Uncle Phil lives there now. Harry, after a lot of arm-twisting, allows Vada to go, and she sets off on what becomes a crazy one-week adventure. Her uncle has a live-in relationship with his boss, Rose, who has a son just Vada's age, Nick. Nick is forced (bribed) into being Vada's tour guide during her stay. Together, they locate some of Maggie's old classmates and teachers, many of whom remember Maggie fondly and tell Vada she looks just like her mother did. However, one of the classmates reveals some disturbing information about Maggie's past, which eventually leads Vada to someone who can actually show Vada her mother--in the form of old films. Vada is mesmerized by these films, and she realizes that her mother's greatest achievment . . . was Vada. This is a sweet, bright, funny, and romantic film. It's not as sad as the first film, but it doesn't lack in the emotional department. Anna Chlumsky (Vada) delivers quite a different performance than she did in the first one, and Austin O'Brien (Nick) is a fine Macaulay Culkin replacement. (Culkin's character, Thomas J., is remembered in this film briefly, proving that he is still a part of Vada's memory, but that she's moved on.) Vada, like in the first film, learns a lot about herself, and the ending leaves the viewer with a sense that Vada's future looks bright. Quite a change from the Vada at the beginning of the first film, who was convinced she had a chicken bone stuck in her throat. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!, December 28, 1999
Heather S. (Boston, Massachusetts) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Girl 2 [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Wow, I didn't think that a movie could be so touching. From beginning to end, I was blown away by the determination of Vada to find out about her mother. Although I was born a decade after this movie takes place, I felt that it depicted the late '60s and early '70s very well and there was such a good feeling throughout the movie. The actors are amazing, especially Anna Chlumsky. RECOMMENDED!

5.0 out of 5 stars Original My Girl: Ok Second My Girl: Much, Much Better!!!, January 31, 2004
This review is from: My Girl 2 (DVD)
My Girl 2 was much better than the original My Girl. This one goes more in depth with the story focusing more on Anna Chlumsky, or Vada Sultenfuss as she's known in the movie. Vada is assigned by her English teacher to write a poem about someone who had achieved something and someone who was a complete stranger to her. She picked her mother. Vada goes to Los Angeles despite her father's firm decision to not let her go. Throughout the movie, she is searching for answers about her mother. What was she like? The big mystery she must solve is to figure out why there was a date written on a paper lunch bag in her box of her mother's things. Will Vada succeed in finding answers to her questions? Will she find out things she didn't know before? The only way to find out is by WATCHING THIS EXCELLENT MOVIE! DON'T MISS OUT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute Sequel...But could have found a better Nick, April 23, 2006
This review is from: My Girl 2 (DVD)
I rented "My Girl 2" after watching "My Girl" and I really enjoyed it. I liked how they got all of the same characters from the first movie, instead of getting all new actors and actresses, because I really hate when sequels are like that. Of course, they had to get a new boy for Vada to get to know since Thomas J. died in the first one, but for goodness sakes.....GET A BETTER NICK! AUSTIN O` BRIEN WAS NOT A GOOD ACTOR IN THIS MOVIE AT ALL! MACALUAY CULKIN WAS SO MUCH BETTER THAN HE WAS. HIS HAIR WAS EXTREMELY TOO LONG, HIS MAKE-UP LOOKED TERRIBLE WHEN HE WAS ABOUT TO KISS VADA, AND HE JUST...WAS NOT A GOOD ACTOR! THERE ARE PLENTY OF BETTER YOUNG ACTORS OUT THERE THAT I WOULD HAVE CHOSEN OVER AUSTIN O` BRIEN. HE IS JUST NOT THE TYPE OF PERSON THAT I WOULD HAVE PICKED FOR THE PART OF NICK. Other than that, I really enjoyed it.. it was a sweet movie full of laughter, happiness, romance among Vada and Nick at the end of the movie and both of them getting to be cousins and I also liked how Vada finally got to know some more information about her mother. I also liked how this movie was not as sad as the first one. Overall, I would definetely recommend at least renting this movie if not going ahead and buying it.

5.0 out of 5 stars BETTER THAN THE FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!, November 29, 2005
Bob (New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Girl 2 (DVD)
My Girl 2 is much better than the first one. The first one was too SAD! This one is REALLY GOOD!!! I loved it! YOU GOTTA SEE IT!!!!!!!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good 'Coming of Age' Movie., November 2, 2005
This review is from: My Girl 2 (DVD)
I have to say, I have loved every Anna Chlumsky film ever made. So maybe I'm partial to giving her movies good reviews, but who didn't love her in "My Girl?". I know probably the first of the two is mostly everyones favorite.. However, the 2nd one was my personal favorite.

We get to watch Vada growing up..well already grown-up somewhat. We watch her go off to California in search of finding out everything about her mother for a school report on "Someone you've never met". She finds out some good, some bad-- she discovers achievements & disappointments. But her biggest discovery is herself. She finds out who she is, where she came from, accepts a new sibling, and meets a boy along the way. This is a great film not only for teens but for anyone of any age. So get lost, and rediscover yourself in "My Girl 2".

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the First, August 29, 2001
"sweetvioletkgp3" (Mahtomedi, Minnesota United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Girl 2 [VHS] (VHS Tape)
This movie is based on a girl named Vada who has to do a report for school. The report is looking up someone who you have not met and has achieved something. So she looks up her mother and flies to L.A. With help she has a boy named Nick to help guide her around L.A. and to find information on her mother. While searching for information she has some trouble finding information and gets confused here and there but everything turns out to be okay. Its a great movie with some feeling in it. Its great for the whole family and is a pleasure to watch. Its just fun to watch. What are you waiting for? Don't hesitate and buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars My Girl, December 31, 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: My Girl 2 [VHS] (VHS Tape)
This movie My Girl both shows and tells parents, the children that they have are the most precious gifts that will ever be given to them. I saw this movie the first time in 1998
which was 2 years after my Daughter Sierra who was 5 years old had passed away from cancer and I fell in love with this movie. Both movies My Girl and My Girl 2 show parents that they should cherish the children they have, for as I said earlier there is nothing more precious that they ever will
receive.

5.0 out of 5 stars cool family movie, January 28, 2013
This review is from: My Girl 2 (Amazon Instant Video)
The actors are all great in this movie. The story touches on real llife issues, but not too seriously. No sex or swearing or violence.

My Girl 2
My Girl 2 by Howard Zieff (DVD - 2002)
$12.15