5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best Debuts in Quite Some Time
In 2010, Of Monsters and Men won Músiktilraunir, Iceland's nationwide battle-of-the-bands competition. For those that may not think of this as an impressive feat, keep in mind Iceland is the country that has given us the likes of Sigur Rós and Björk. Drawing early comparisons to Arcade Fire, Mumford and Sons, and Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, Of...
Published on April 5, 2012 by J. Loudon

3.0 out of 5 stars Good First Album but full of Freshman Faults
I stumbled upon Of Monsters when I was doing some research about one of my favorite bands, Sigur Ros. I quickly bought `My Head is an Animal' and instantly liked it. The songs on this album are borderline pop- with a great mix of the folksiness of bands such as Edward Sharpe and the Magnificent Zeros, the Arcade Fire and even a slice of Fleet Foxes, yet there is sweetness...
Published on May 18, 2012 by dayna

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 485 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I would give it 10 stars if I could, March 9, 2014
This review is from: My Head is an Animal (Audio CD)
Fresh, unique sound & voices. Speaks to the heart. Upbeat & tragically sad at the same time. Melodic, touching. A continual anthem-like march carries through & holds album together as a complete statement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this album, too bad it is not really "Auto Rip" and available on the Cloud, December 21, 2013
This review is from: My Head is an Animal (Audio CD)
Great album, all the songs are worth listening to, never get sick of it. Too bad it's not in my Cloud.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hidden Treasure, August 11, 2013
This review is from: My Head is an Animal (Audio CD)
My daughter heard "King and Lionheart" on the radio on each day, and made it her mission to find her own copy. As she's 7, I got caught up in the chase, and we listen to this together. I'm very fond of this band now, and my daughter is expanding her musical repertoire. Thank gods it was never Barney!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Of Monsters and Men, July 29, 2013
This review is from: My Head is an Animal (Audio CD)
From the unfamiliar, mysterious lyrics to the singers' Icelandic accents, and the wall of music that flows from this band, I really enjoy listening to them. I actually prefer the live videos on YouTube, for they bring out the characters of the individual band members, and also allow them to tinker around the edges on some songs, like when trumpeter Ragnhildur Gunnarsdóttir alters her playing from one event to the next. The lead singers, Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir and Ragnar řórhallsson. harmonize well together, and sing their solo parts with passion and joy. I like the fact that at certain parts of most of the songs, all of the band members sing, such as on choruses of songs. I also enjoy the many "Heys!" and "Lalalas" thrown into the mix. The CD, being a studio version, is a bit more clean and straightforward. What I mean by that is that the songs are wonderful, but seem to lack the feeling and joy apparent in the live performances. This band generally plays in a tight way, all of the instruments either supporting the others in what I think of as a wall of music coming at you, or else the guiatarists or the trumpeter weave their beautiful music in and out of the drums, acoustic guitars, and keyboards -- or sometimes, an accordion. Well done, guys and gals!

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Talks and SNL Performance, June 6, 2013
This review is from: My Head is an Animal (Audio CD)
I have seen this group in concert three times already. Their sound is awesome when you hear them live in concert. The CD is really great but please do yourself a favor and watch their recent Saturday Night Live performance of Little Talks and Mountain Sound.

I did buy this CD because of Little Talks. Yeah ... ok ... I am not going to be one of those people who refuse to say they bought a CD based on the most popular song. I did do some research on the lyrics and although the song is upbeat it's kind of a very sad song. Here is the lead singer's interpretation of this song.

It's about a couple and the husband passed away and it's from the conversation between the two of them. We don't know if she's going crazy or if someone's actually there. We've kind of been inspired by people that lived in my house. This old couple lived there for 30 years. The woman passed away, so it was kind of different.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Album, May 29, 2013
I was initially drawn in by the addictive "Little Talks", but I'm loving every song on here - they have a great and unique sound, and this has definitely held up over repeated listenings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Of Monsters and Men newest album, May 29, 2013
This review is from: My Head Is An Animal (MP3 Music)
This is an amazing album that involves a beautifully coordinated duet with awesome instrumentals. I would highly recommend this to any music listener if you're actually looking for some substance in your music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, April 23, 2013
This review is from: My Head Is An Animal (MP3 Music)
I bought this strictly based on samples because 30 seconds of each song was enough to convince me I should have it. Many listens later, I am so grateful I happened to stumble upon this because it is one of my favorite albums. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE Iceland!!!, March 4, 2013
This review is from: My Head is an Animal (Audio CD)
This is the most creative, charming brilliantly wonderful band in forever! Every track is fantastic! They combine Icelandic folk tales with modern pop to create the best CD of the year! Buy it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars good, March 3, 2013
very satisfied with the shipment... enjoying the record so much... the packaging is very good and i received the shipment earlier than i expected..

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 485 | Next ›

My Head is an Animal
My Head is an Animal by Of Monsters And Men (Audio CD - 2012)