5.0 out of 5 stars My heart is too, I guess...
Warning: Read this book and you'll be in the mood to fall in love all over again. Despite love's perils, many of which Rothbart delves into through this collection, no feeling could be sweeter.

Published on September 10, 2012 by Audrey M.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hit and Miss
Published 22 months ago by B.H.

5.0 out of 5 stars My heart is too, I guess..., September 10, 2012
This review is from: My Heart Is an Idiot: Essays (Hardcover)

Each essay in My Heart is an Idiot has a little "ah-hah" moment to it - a moment of connection, exhilaration, or heartbreak that pops out and punches you right in the heart or the face. Rothbart's essays seem a natural progression from his years working with This American Life and telling stories on the road - the essays are breezily written and full of nicely-put detail. If you have ever wanted to stick Davy in your pocket for safekeeping or wanted to hop in his van and travel along with him after a show, reading this book is probably the next best thing.

From the utterly filmic "Human Snowball" to the crushingly sad "Shade," Rothbart succeeds in showing us why his heart is an idiot, yes, but a lovable idiot. Rothbart himself is a rich character, charming but weird, sweet but a little selfish, and addictive like few people are. Readers who have ever been in love and done something a little outside-of-the-box will find plenty to relate to, as will those who have been on the receiving end of such gestures.

The collection is based upon Rothbart's seemingly endless arsenal of impossible-but-true tales. He knows how to tell a story, to be sure, but at times the coincidences in his life seem too great, and the reminder on the copyright page seems to suggest that perhaps some of them are: "Occasionally certain aspects...have been altered, amalgamated, reordered, refashioned, omitted, or even fictionalized... to preserve narrative flow." But maybe that is the price of a collection of creative non-fiction as engaging as this, and it's one that readers will likely be eager to forgive.

Buy it. Read it. It will make you feel things.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of life and mistakes, September 9, 2012
This review is from: My Heart Is an Idiot: Essays (Hardcover)
This book is an excellent read. Whether you're rooting for him or furious at him, Davy's decisions and adventures always brought out strong feelings in me. These are the chronicles of a guy who says "yes" to chances and opportunity where most others would pass, and the results speak for themselves. The casual honest writing style makes for a very accessible read. I highly recommended this book!

3.0 out of 5 stars Hit and Miss, October 29, 2012
This review is from: My Heart Is an Idiot: Essays (Hardcover)
Regardless of the fact that these stories are extremely far-fetched (and/or highly exaggerated), Rothbart definitely knows how to write. He also knows how to make a reader smile, gasp, and guffaw...sometimes in a single sentence. Some of the stories in this collection are better than others. "What Are You Wearing?" was my personal favorite; it's witty, unexpected, and surprisingly touching. Others, like "Tarantula" and "Southwest," seemed less like literature and more like rambling blog entries. I wouldn't recommend going out of your way to read these essays, but if you're looking for a fun, light read on an airplane, you could certainly do worse.

3.0 out of 5 stars I think his heart is a selfish baztard, September 30, 2013
Online shopper (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
So, I thought this book was just "ok" and don't much understand all the hype. It's entertaining, for the most part, if you like reading mildly crazy tales about a petty miscreant who blindy trusts/falls in "love" with everybody. I will admit that the story of him going unnoticed while naked in NYC made me laugh and his willingness to drop everything for an adventure - usually involving helping some stranger - is endearing. That's about where I stopped liking him. He lost me in the first story telling us about the pranks he and his brother would play on his deaf mother. But OK, kids are stupid. His "falling in love" with every sad girl he met made me roll my eyes. This guy has no clue, and in losing himself in the strange romanticized fiction of his life it seems like he had probably hurt a good many on the way there. So him falling in "love" with movie characters and random service inustry folk was annoying, but when he dropped everything to run to NYC after 9/11 under the guise of a fake writing assignment to impress another stranger-girl, taking the place of somebody who legitimately needed a seat on that elusive greyhound, I was done with him. Really what a selfish prick. Also, I couldn't get past the innumerable iterations of "Me and ______ left/went/did.....". Grammar, it's not for writers anymore, apparently. SO super "meh". Wait for a sale, for sure, and only if you can't find anything better to read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Essay Buffet, February 21, 2013
This review is from: My Heart Is an Idiot: Essays (Hardcover)
Some of the essays are humorous, but most deal with the author's drinking escapades, which began to wear on me midway through the book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, November 17, 2012
I enjoyed theses short stories, some more than others. Very readable. Not quite the punch of David Sedaris but reminiscent of this writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Heart is an Idiot, October 22, 2012
Barbara Brodsky (Ann Arbor, MI United States) - See all my reviews
I loved these stories. It's probably not a fair review since I'm in one of them, but the whole book stole my heart. Davy's writing is funny, poignant and honest. It's wonderful to watch him develop as a writer since his earlier book, "Lone Surfer," and see the increasing depth. I especially love his openness to people of all sorts, free of our usual prejudices. He is happy to chat with fellow passengers of all sorts on a bus, or to the person beside him on the street, to climb into cars and welcome passengers into his car, and to see both the beauty and the confusion inside people's hearts without giving judgment. His last story, "Ain't That America" especially reflects this open heart. I look forward to seeing more of his writing. [[...]]

3.0 out of 5 stars Fair, September 19, 2013
I found myself getting annoyed with Davy by the end of the book, but the book had me interested in him and his life. I respect him for being so open about his eccentricities. Overall, a good read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartfelt and hilarious, July 24, 2013
This review is from: My Heart Is an Idiot: Essays (Hardcover)
Davy's style of writing makes you feel like he is confiding in you over a beer. The stories are genuine and relatable, a great read for men and women. This is the perfect balance of funny and meaningful.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Glimpse of America, July 12, 2013
This review is from: My Heart Is an Idiot: Essays (Hardcover)
I felt like I was seeing the raw underbelly of the country: highway travelers, greyhound riders, saintly inmates and the drunken elderly. What makes these encounters extraordinary is Rothbart's absolute commitment to go anywhere and try anything. Many of these stories are about moving from place to place - he's a man in motion - but straightforward journeys have a way of turning into epic adventure because Rothbart opens himself up to it all, like a giant satellite dish sucking in signals the rest only hear faintly. It's thrilling.

My Heart Is an Idiot: Essays
My Heart Is an Idiot: Essays by Davy Rothbart (Hardcover - September 4, 2012)
$25.00 $19.06