5.0 out of 5 stars This adorable "heart" story in rhyme is one of those perfect books to read and discuss during story or circle time!, March 17, 2010
This review is from: My Heart Is Like a Zoo (Hardcover)
All young children have little feelings in their hearts and heads, but it is often difficult for them to understand or express their emotions. This little book of twenty animals, all made up in part of "heart" shapes, can help parents, caretakers and teachers help them understand and express their feelings, emotions and attitudes. This is a fun book of heart words and feelings in the shape of herons, hippos, caterpillars, clams, bears, crabs and many other animals.

"My heart is like a zoo-
eager as a beaver,
steady as a yak,
hopeful as a hungry heron, hoping for a snack . . . "

This adorable "heart" story in rhyme is one of those perfect books to read and discuss during story or circle time. Each of the brief descriptions of an animal can be linked to a primary emotion. The artwork is ingeniously designed to incorporate several heart shapes in each colorful animal. The whole book simply shouts read me and read me again. There are "more than three hundred hearts" in the design of this book for youngsters to count. This book can simply be a captivating page turner for the littlest "readers" or a learning experience for the older ones. If you want an instant classic, this is one you might want to consider!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute book for reading or crafting, December 30, 2009
Kiwi Magazine Review:
I *heart* this book. Although many may see this colorful children's picture book as just a sweet bedtime tale, it is the perfect Valentine craft for kids as well. Imagine the critters that can be made out of heart shapes in various sizes. This book is a breath of fresh air in the shelves full of books about zoo animals. We would recommend it for ages 2-5.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Heart is Like a Zoo- Hurrah!, February 28, 2010
This review is from: My Heart Is Like a Zoo (Hardcover)
As a 70 year old, I enjoyed the creative designs and colors in the book, but I was concerned that the children would think it was too "babyish." That was not the case. It provided them with ideas for creating their own Valentines, and now my refrigerator door has new decorations. Lots of fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Heart Is Like a Zoo, September 23, 2010
This review is from: My Heart Is Like a Zoo (Hardcover)
A perfect book! Colorful pictures, rhyming text, a built in counting activity, not to mention art ideas with geometric shapes...plus, a sweet child in the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars great books for little ones, July 5, 2010
This review is from: My Heart Is Like a Zoo (Hardcover)
The bold block colors and shapes give this wonderful book a kindergarten-y feel. It's really fun for kids to find all the heart shapes and guess how many are on a page before finding them. If only I were this creative with construction paper when I was in kindergarten!

5.0 out of 5 stars from Missprint DOT wordpress DOT com, April 9, 2010
This review is from: My Heart Is Like a Zoo (Hardcover)
Hundreds of hearts come together to shape some animals both familiar and exotic in this rhyming romp through the various phases of a child's heart before they retire after a busy day (as busy as a zookeeper's even!).

My Heart is Like a Zoo (2010) by Michael Hall introduces children to a variety of new concepts beyond emotions and feelings. The varied palette for both animals and backgrounds can introduce colors as easily as the animals themselves can be used for a counting exercise. Hall uses hearts and the occasional circle or rectangle to create all of the artwork inviting children to identify the various shapes and try to make some shape animals of their own. The large text and boldly colored artwork carry wide appeal as do Hall's clever turns of phrase about steady yaks and happy hippos.

And, of course, as the cover shows very nicely the book is totally adorable! Hall's artwork and writing is fantastic and elevates what could have been a twee, simple book into a complex and entertaining picture book for readers of all ages.

An attractive, versatile book My Heart is Like a Zoo is guaranteed to become a story time favorite.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute Book, February 27, 2010
This review is from: My Heart Is Like a Zoo (Hardcover)
This is a very sweet book! Each page contains a simile comparing a heart/love to an animal. The illustrations are made up of hearts, which is very fun. I read this book to my special needs preschool class, and it was a bit over their heads. It would be great for children in the primary grades. It could spark a lot of great writing and art projects!

5.0 out of 5 stars Must buy, July 9, 2014
Alanna M. Bobulinski (Virginia Beach, Virginia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Heart Is Like a Zoo (Hardcover)
I needed a book about a zoo for teaching my preschool class. Found this at the library and was in love Instantly with it! Love how all the animals are made from hearts! Gave us great project ideas too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a cute book, May 17, 2014
Nicole (Denver, CO) - See all my reviews
A great book. It has bright colors, cute animals, and not too many words on each page which is perfect since my son likes to turn the pages, quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for classroon activities, May 4, 2014
This review is from: My Heart Is Like a Zoo (Hardcover)
This was used not only as a story book but my class also made the different this animal shapes to decorate the the front of their Valentine bags, The class also made a booklet to write a story about eack animal.

My Heart Is Like a Zoo
My Heart Is Like a Zoo by Michael Hall (Hardcover - December 22, 2009)
$16.99 $13.05