Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: My Horse and Me - Nintendo Wii
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Platform: Nintendo Wii|Change

I am an adult who grew up with horses. This game brings back memories for me. It is as true to riding as you can get on a video game. You hold the controller and nun chuck as reins and use the A button to speed up (since you can't use your legs!) I find some of the practice levels challenging because it doesn't always respond the way I think it should, but neither did my horse. :) It is a guilty pleasure and I am glad I got it. Go, horsey!
on February 21, 2008
The controls were a little difficult to get the hang of at first (using the Wiimote and Nunchuck as reins to steer, and A and B to speed up and slow down), but once you go through the training and begin the show jumping levels, it gets much more intuitive. It is also less forgiving of mistakes as you get to the higher levels and the courses become more challenging, forcing you to actually get better. The minigames are a little silly (rounding up balloons and catching falling stars are a couple) and very hard to do well enough in to unlock items. I have only two complaints: 1)When you play with multiplayer, you have to create new profiles from scratch to compete with; you can't use the profiles you have saved. 2)The horse is always on the wrong lead!
Everything considered, this game is definitely more true to real riding than any other simulation game I've tried.
on February 27, 2008
We bought this for our seven year old daughter who is horse-crazy. We feel that it was well worth the money and she loves it. As has been mentioned the controls take some getting used to, but once you have them it's fun to make use of the Wii's wiimote and nunchuck to control the horse. Our daughter absolutely loves unlocking new clothing and courses and has probably spent over an hour grooming her horse just to earn new items. The only reason that I don't give it five stars overall is that it doesn't have the clean feel that a top-notch production title like Super Mario Galaxy does. If there was a value rating it would get five stars from me without a doubt. We are very happy with this purchase!
on February 22, 2009
Well, I got this game for my birthday. I love horses and show jumping, so I was excited to get the game. I opened it up and played it right away. It was a bit hard to get used to the controls at first! My horse was always going every which way, and trying to keep him at a walk was frustrating. But I stuck at it, then it became just AWESOME!!! I completed all the training, no problem, and tried some show jumping. It was good! I didn't give it five stars, though, because 1) it gets a bit boring after a while, but it's still better than some games I can mention! 2) it was diffucult at first.

By the way, don't trash it just because it's a bit hard at first. Keep at it, soon you'll be super. And you can always groom and customize your horse and yourself in the meantime.

Riding--It's really, really cool. I love the controls, they are awesome! I also like that you can see your horse in first person view or third person view. By the way, if you can't see the route well enough, third person view helps. Also, I like the sound effects. You hear the horse's hooves.

Grooming--Fun at first, but it gets boring. I'm glad you don't have to groom the horse like some other terrible games I've played. (But don't get me wrong, I'm fine with the work of it.) It is cool with the Wii Remote. I just wish you could get closer to the horse.

Show jumping--This is cool! There are six levels: Beginner, Amatuer, Semi-pro, Professional, and Elite. I'm presently on Semi-pro. You get rewards and unlockables for getting gold medals, which is great. The courses get harder and harder, and I keep getting better! You can also watch a replay of your jumping by choosing "Replay" after completing a course. I also like how the crowd cheers for you, and the settings are pretty cool.

Customization--My sister (7 years) loves to just customize her horse and rider, does almost nothing else! You can do all sorts of cool stuff. You unlock it too. By the way, you get different outfits if you're a boy or girl character. Cool!

The graphics are really smooth and good, too. I love to free ride, too, but I have a couple complaints:

-You don't have a free ride without jumping.
-You can't get very close to the horse.
-There is not a lot of horse care at all.

But it's a great game, do yourself a favor and buy it!
on January 18, 2009
This is the most amazing game! I have not found it very frustrating. I could play it for hours on end. I really like customizing my horse and how you have to unlcok different features by winning competitions. I have played it for about 30 hours at the least, and have almost completed the game. There is one problem I have noticed when my friends play the game that may be frustrating. My friends tend to do the following:

1. When they turn, they throw the Nunchuk to the side, I have to remind them to pull the controller to their chest.

2. They also use the remotes too much. All that is needed to line up for a jump is a quick jerk of the remote, you don't neccessarily have to pull it up to your chest every time you want to turn.

3. They forget to RELEASE the "A" button when going around a sharp turn. But you must immediatly push the button down again after the turn to remain at the same cantering speed.

Another thing that you may want to know if you are just starting, your horse goes very slowly in the begginer level compared to how fast it will go in elite competitions. Your horse's cantering speed will increase as you move up in levels. I also HIGHLY reccomend you start with training activities. After you feel comfortable, then try "free ride" which can be found under Extras in riding or training, I forget.

This is a great game!
on July 14, 2008
It is truely a great game! I'm 12 and my 9 year old brother and I love it! The courses get harder and harder, but start out fairly easy. The graphics are realistic and amazing! You can choose your horse's color, saddle, and stuff like that. You can groom it, and unlock things by winning competitions! You can be a boy or girl, which ever you choose, and can have multiple profiles (about 8). You can choose what you wear too! Turning is a tad difficult, but you should get the hang of it. It is definately worth the money! I would recommend this game for all ages, whether your a horse lover or not!
on June 13, 2008
This game is awesome! The graphics are incredibly lifelike, the gameplay is understandable, and the options for customization are endless. The controls are a little tough to get used to at first, as many video games are. This game is challenging enough to keep an adult's attention while still having plenty of appeal for younger players. The jumping courses are modeled after the real thing and it shows-so impressive! I definitely reccomend this game to anyone with an interest in horses!
on December 6, 2013
My teenage kids did not get hang of it, who are other wise horse lovers. Even I could not get hang of it. horse do not move/turn as we expect. May be it needs a lot of practice, as they said some where that along with yourself the horse will also be learning and both will become better and better. That makes sense in a way. But not good for a game to grab players' interest. Game is now lying around somewhere and is never used after first a few days.
on October 3, 2011
Since my nieces who are 6 and 4 have horses and love playing Zelda for riding the horse, herding the goats and jumping the fences I thought they'd love this game. So, I bought it for them and it's a joke. The first time they played it the only control we could get to work right was back/stop. A few hours later I was playing it to see if I could figure it out for them and moving forward actually made the horse go backwards and turning right made him go forward. That's not at all how the Owner's Manual reads. I played around with trying to figure it out for about 10 minutes and flipped the game off. It's not worth a grain of salt let alone the money I paid for it.
on March 10, 2008
I have two daughters, 6 & 10 who are avid horse lovers and ride horses! They just LOVE this game - it's like having your very own horse! Keeps them interested for long periods of time. Great Game!

See 1 answered question