Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: My Journey to Heaven: What I Saw and How It Changed My Life
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

on September 16, 2012
I found this book a compelling read...who doesn't want to know what Heaven is like. We have all heard that those who go through the light don't want to come back.
Marvin Besteman, a stubborn Dutchman as he calls himself, was just operated on for a pancreatic tumor. He was in such pain the night after the surgery, and all of a sudden he felt himself floating free. No tubes, needles! For months after this experience he doesn't tell anyone.
The first person is his wife Ruth, and when she asked him if he had thought of her, he told her no. Was she disappointed? I think what happened was it was all so wonderful, that he didn't have time to think of anyone. What he describes is so very very wonderful, no wonder he didn't want to return.
I have recently lost my Husband, this book really touched my heart, and gave me a lot of peace. Marvin describes in detail the babies...lots and lots of them. In all stages of development from a few week old fetus to a full term. I have also lost a 77 day old infant, and to hear that they were all happy and laying on grass ...softer than any blanket. He said he didn't see anyone taking care of them, but knew some how they were all fine.
The colors he describes, the gates, the stone walls, and the throne. I could see it all through his eyes.
I will pass this book on for others to read, and I'm so glad I was given this opportunity to absorb all that is presented.
Of course I wanted more, and would have loved to sit down and speak personally with Marvin, but now it can never by. He did leave again and Saint Peter opened the gate earlier this year.

I received this book from the publisher Revell, and was not required to give a positive review.
22 comments| 205 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 17, 2012
In My Journey to Heaven, Marvin Besteman describes his visit to Heaven in 2006. He describes in detail what he saw and experienced there, as well as the people he saw and recognized.

Normally, I describe the plot of a book without worrying about having to issue "spoiler alerts", but in this case, I don't really see a way to talk about this book in detail without just retelling his story. So, it comes down to this: some people will believe this book, and others won't. I admit that it challenged my thinking regarding Heaven. Everything he described wasn't exactly the way I've always understood the Bible to mean. However, I tried to keep an open mind while reading. Without giving away too much detail, the one point where I felt that this could be on target was when he described what he saw before the Throne of God. It wasn't the type of thing that a man of his generation and theological background would probably imagine.

Whether or not he described Heaven accurately, I feel that he sincerely believed that he saw Heaven, and that it looked just the way he described. This could be very comforting for someone who has lost a loved one. It may not be for everyone, but for anyone who will keep an open mind while reading, it is a wonderful reminder that Heaven is certainly real.

4 stars

"Available September 2012 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group."

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Baker Publishing Group. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.
11 comment| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 3, 2012
Book Review: My Journey to Heaven, 2012, non-fiction testimony, by Marvin J. Besteman , e-book edition. Date of review: October 3, 2012

I personally know of individuals (close personal friends) who have come back from out of body experiences, or from death after 30-40 minutes of being pronounced dead. So I find it very easy to accept the personal testimony of author Marvin J. Besteman, who writes of having gone to heaven from his hospital bed and then come back. The way by which he wrote his testimony left me with the final conclusion he did, in fact, personally witness all the things he described. His words appeared to be honest, heartfelt, and candid, albeit this book left me asking questions for which there appears to be no earthly answer this side of Heaven. It was an enormously joyful book to read and an encouragement. How could I not give this book a 5 star rating? I recommend "My Journey to Heaven" to anyone who has lost a child, either by natural causes, or by abortion because the story addresses those subjects with honesty, vision, and candor. God is good all the time and this story addresses that goodness.

Jim E. Reames, Christian author
"Valley of the Dry Bones," 1992
"LaDon's Lost Diamond," 2008
Contributor
"GBA2015", 2012, by Sheriff John A. Turner
"After the Cloud", 2012, by Sheriff John A. Turner
on October 22, 2012
This book can be very comforting for someone who has lost someone, and if closure is needed. The author, Marvin, writes about his personal experience with Heaven when he temporarily visited during an illness. Marvin is shown to be an educated, sweet, godly man, who had no agenda other than to share the amazing things that he saw and felt. I was especially touched when he recounted what he saw regarding babies - his statements are interesting and may give some peace to someone who has lost a child, even right after conception. I also was moved when I read about his very special bond with his son-in-law, how he had called Marv "dad", and how he became so ill so quickly, and was then gone. Marv was able to see his son-in-law jumping up and down and totally healed and joyful, and that alone inspires a great longing for the wonders of Heaven. This book is very easy to read, and would be a good choice if you or someone you know needs comfort or hope for what happens to believers in Christ after death. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255 :"Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising".
1212 comments| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 23, 2013
I' m convinced Marv is basking in God's glory up in heaven with all his family who is already there. I've read a lot of books regarding life after death but I can tell you my belief is cast in stone after reading Marv's account! I can hardly wait myself to get there. I just wonder what God's plan is for my life before I go? Thank you God for Marv's story!
on May 28, 2014
I recently lost my dog then my mother just a year later. They were the two greatest loves of my life. I was so downtrodden and heartbroken, angry at the doctors for screwing up her medical care I screamed and cried for days on end. I knew her time was near, but I wasn't ready for her to depart sooner than I thought she would. Towards the end she was really suffering and reflecting back on those days, it nearly killed me. I was searching on Amazon for something that would help ease the pain of her death and I came across this book. I have to say, as a well educated woman with a law degree and skeptical personality, this books TRULY PUT ME AT EASE with my mother's death. I know now after reading this wonderful book, that she is okay and no longer suffering and doing better than the rest of us down here!! Thank you Marv for sharing this experience with me. You really helped me. I also no longer fear death after reading this. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
on January 8, 2013
This was such a great book and a really easy read. I definately needed kleenex at times. I plan on reading this book again since it is so uplifting. I would recommend this to anyone who has lost someone dear to them.
on December 8, 2012
I was disappointed in reading this book in that the author never establishes his clinical death. There is no account or proof that the author had technically died. The author does tell the reader that a doctor spent three hours administering pain drugs and how he kept pressing the pain relief drug button in hoping to relieve his discomfort. Is it any wonder that he then visualizes the experience as he describes as his NDE. The obvious question is: if there is no proof of his actual death, how do we not know this was just a drug induced dream or hallucination of some sort.

He talks of seeing his favorite Bibilical character, the apostle Peter at the gate of Heaven. How convenient, but seems like a personal wish/dream rather than anything realistic. Also, like Don Piper's novel there is very little written about heaven and much more about his personal family and quotes from scripture. I felt bored and frustrated reading redundant information which was not relavent and simply written as a filler. It added no value to the subject matter.

I feel this title is misleading and used to hook the interest of a serious reader. Even if it were a true NDE, there is not enough substanial subject matter to make this book worth the read or money.
66 comments| 121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 1, 2014
My Journey to Heaven is such an uplifting and comforting book. I would highly recommend it to anyone who has lost a loved one. The part of the book that touched me the most was the wondrous sight of so many precious babies that the author caught a glimpse of during his spectacular time spent at Heaven's Gate.

If anyone reading this review has lost a child, please give yourself a gift--and purchase this book. I assure you that you will find comfort knowing that your baby is safely in heaven, and you will hold that child in your arms again someday. For anyone who may be thinking that this cannot be true--perhaps, because your child was aborted, PLEASE know, your baby is safe and alive in heaven. You will be reunited when your earthly mission is over.

The author, Marvin J. Besteman, saw many loved ones and friends during his journey to heaven. I love the way he describes the sights and sounds, and the many details he shares from his experience. I'm thankful he was given the chance to share what he saw and heard while there in front of the gate of heaven.

God is good. God is merciful, and His truth endures to all generations.
on February 17, 2013
I wasn't in love with the writing style, so that affects my rating. I'm a Christian, but when I finished this book I was not convinced his trip wasn't drug induced. It's just an intuition I felt. It had some really shallow places in it that I felt like a non-believer could have made up. I personally had an experience during surgery three years ago that was VERY real to me. I was all of a sudden in the arms of Jesus, looking up at Him, and it was like no other feeling of peace and love and total security I've ever experienced. I wanted to stay there forever! All my earthly problems were totally gone. It was just a flash. I learned later my b/p had dropped dramatically at some point. I heard the commotion, I heard somebody at my head rapidly counting backwards from 40 down into the low 30's, and I remember that person saying, "I need help over here--NOW!" Is that when my experience with Jesus happened? I don't know. I'll never know. It seemed very real. I'm just not convinced we're supposed to see heaven before we die....but I won't deny the possibility.