Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

Format: PaperbackChange

on September 16, 2012
I found this book a compelling read...who doesn't want to know what Heaven is like. We have all heard that those who go through the light don't want to come back.
Marvin Besteman, a stubborn Dutchman as he calls himself, was just operated on for a pancreatic tumor. He was in such pain the night after the surgery, and all of a sudden he felt himself floating free. No tubes, needles! For months after this experience he doesn't tell anyone.
The first person is his wife Ruth, and when she asked him if he had thought of her, he told her no. Was she disappointed? I think what happened was it was all so wonderful, that he didn't have time to think of anyone. What he describes is so very very wonderful, no wonder he didn't want to return.
I have recently lost my Husband, this book really touched my heart, and gave me a lot of peace. Marvin describes in detail the babies...lots and lots of them. In all stages of development from a few week old fetus to a full term. I have also lost a 77 day old infant, and to hear that they were all happy and laying on grass ...softer than any blanket. He said he didn't see anyone taking care of them, but knew some how they were all fine.
The colors he describes, the gates, the stone walls, and the throne. I could see it all through his eyes.
I will pass this book on for others to read, and I'm so glad I was given this opportunity to absorb all that is presented.
Of course I wanted more, and would have loved to sit down and speak personally with Marvin, but now it can never by. He did leave again and Saint Peter opened the gate earlier this year.

I received this book from the publisher Revell, and was not required to give a positive review.
22 comments189 of 197 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 17, 2012
In My Journey to Heaven, Marvin Besteman describes his visit to Heaven in 2006. He describes in detail what he saw and experienced there, as well as the people he saw and recognized.

Normally, I describe the plot of a book without worrying about having to issue "spoiler alerts", but in this case, I don't really see a way to talk about this book in detail without just retelling his story. So, it comes down to this: some people will believe this book, and others won't. I admit that it challenged my thinking regarding Heaven. Everything he described wasn't exactly the way I've always understood the Bible to mean. However, I tried to keep an open mind while reading. Without giving away too much detail, the one point where I felt that this could be on target was when he described what he saw before the Throne of God. It wasn't the type of thing that a man of his generation and theological background would probably imagine.

Whether or not he described Heaven accurately, I feel that he sincerely believed that he saw Heaven, and that it looked just the way he described. This could be very comforting for someone who has lost a loved one. It may not be for everyone, but for anyone who will keep an open mind while reading, it is a wonderful reminder that Heaven is certainly real.

4 stars

"Available September 2012 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group."

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Baker Publishing Group. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.
11 comment74 of 77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 3, 2012
Book Review: My Journey to Heaven, 2012, non-fiction testimony, by Marvin J. Besteman , e-book edition. Date of review: October 3, 2012

I personally know of individuals (close personal friends) who have come back from out of body experiences, or from death after 30-40 minutes of being pronounced dead. So I find it very easy to accept the personal testimony of author Marvin J. Besteman, who writes of having gone to heaven from his hospital bed and then come back. The way by which he wrote his testimony left me with the final conclusion he did, in fact, personally witness all the things he described. His words appeared to be honest, heartfelt, and candid, albeit this book left me asking questions for which there appears to be no earthly answer this side of Heaven. It was an enormously joyful book to read and an encouragement. How could I not give this book a 5 star rating? I recommend "My Journey to Heaven" to anyone who has lost a child, either by natural causes, or by abortion because the story addresses those subjects with honesty, vision, and candor. God is good all the time and this story addresses that goodness.

Jim E. Reames, Christian author
"Valley of the Dry Bones," 1992
"LaDon's Lost Diamond," 2008
Contributor
"GBA2015", 2012, by Sheriff John A. Turner
"After the Cloud", 2012, by Sheriff John A. Turner
0Comment50 of 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 22, 2012
This book can be very comforting for someone who has lost someone, and if closure is needed. The author, Marvin, writes about his personal experience with Heaven when he temporarily visited during an illness. Marvin is shown to be an educated, sweet, godly man, who had no agenda other than to share the amazing things that he saw and felt. I was especially touched when he recounted what he saw regarding babies - his statements are interesting and may give some peace to someone who has lost a child, even right after conception. I also was moved when I read about his very special bond with his son-in-law, how he had called Marv "dad", and how he became so ill so quickly, and was then gone. Marv was able to see his son-in-law jumping up and down and totally healed and joyful, and that alone inspires a great longing for the wonders of Heaven. This book is very easy to read, and would be a good choice if you or someone you know needs comfort or hope for what happens to believers in Christ after death. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255 :"Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising".
1212 comments67 of 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 23, 2013
I' m convinced Marv is basking in God's glory up in heaven with all his family who is already there. I've read a lot of books regarding life after death but I can tell you my belief is cast in stone after reading Marv's account! I can hardly wait myself to get there. I just wonder what God's plan is for my life before I go? Thank you God for Marv's story!
0Comment20 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 8, 2012
I was disappointed in reading this book in that the author never establishes his clinical death. There is no account or proof that the author had technically died. The author does tell the reader that a doctor spent three hours administering pain drugs and how he kept pressing the pain relief drug button in hoping to relieve his discomfort. Is it any wonder that he then visualizes the experience as he describes as his NDE. The obvious question is: if there is no proof of his actual death, how do we not know this was just a drug induced dream or hallucination of some sort.

He talks of seeing his favorite Bibilical character, the apostle Peter at the gate of Heaven. How convenient, but seems like a personal wish/dream rather than anything realistic. Also, like Don Piper's novel there is very little written about heaven and much more about his personal family and quotes from scripture. I felt bored and frustrated reading redundant information which was not relavent and simply written as a filler. It added no value to the subject matter.

I feel this title is misleading and used to hook the interest of a serious reader. Even if it were a true NDE, there is not enough substanial subject matter to make this book worth the read or money.
66 comments117 of 146 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 8, 2013
This was such a great book and a really easy read. I definately needed kleenex at times. I plan on reading this book again since it is so uplifting. I would recommend this to anyone who has lost someone dear to them.
on February 17, 2013
I wasn't in love with the writing style, so that affects my rating. I'm a Christian, but when I finished this book I was not convinced his trip wasn't drug induced. It's just an intuition I felt. It had some really shallow places in it that I felt like a non-believer could have made up. I personally had an experience during surgery three years ago that was VERY real to me. I was all of a sudden in the arms of Jesus, looking up at Him, and it was like no other feeling of peace and love and total security I've ever experienced. I wanted to stay there forever! All my earthly problems were totally gone. It was just a flash. I learned later my b/p had dropped dramatically at some point. I heard the commotion, I heard somebody at my head rapidly counting backwards from 40 down into the low 30's, and I remember that person saying, "I need help over here--NOW!" Is that when my experience with Jesus happened? I don't know. I'll never know. It seemed very real. I'm just not convinced we're supposed to see heaven before we die....but I won't deny the possibility.
11 comment11 of 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 16, 2012
This is one of the sweetest, most comforting books that I have ever read. Having experienced loss in life, this book was what I needed for healing. The author talks about his own experience of temporarily going to heaven. It reflects what he saw, who he saw, what it was like, and who he talked too while he was there.

The author's description of the angels who took him up into heaven, the Book of Life, and his conversations with Peter were very interesting, and enlightening. The book goes on to what the author felt like when he found out he couldn't stay in Heaven and that particular time, and what his journey back to Earth was like.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for an honest review from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Company. Look for this excellent book in your local book stores soon!
0Comment23 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 3, 2013
Fact - childhood, wife, marriage, children, friends, religion and job. All believable and most likely true.

Fiction - the part where he is taken to heaven and all that it entails.

I am a christian so I do believe in heaven and hell, near death experiences and all the bible has in it. However as gullible and naive as I am everything in me screamed false, red flags and made up as soon as I started reading this book. There are so many to count and I had to shake my head and almost laugh at some of the content. Unbelievable. I have read, heard, watched my share of to heaven or hell and back stories. This one so far takes the cake and ice cream too. He is a very good "story" teller and that is easily seen from the beginning.

Because he has read so many books about near death experiences he took bits and pieces from each, woven into his own, called it his and added his own charm to it that it almost reads believable. But in my opinion it's not. The mind is very powerful, mysterious and full of dreams. There is a huge difference between telling a true story which is usually and mostly very matter of factly done and telling stories which is usually and mostly done by personalizing it in your own way and manner.

This is my take on it you decide and choose for yourself. Because he was heavily medicated and seemed to be in and out of consciousness and in a great deal of pain this was some kind of hallucination or dream but far from the truth. All of what he had read or heard about heaven from other people's stories were put together in his brain to form this story that he believes is true. And because he was arguing with Peter which is something he would do here on earth, Peter was wearing gray colored fishing garment which is something he probably saw in a picture, that Peter called him Marv and maybe he was getting nervous about dying because of old age, his illness or being grieved over his losses over the years I truly believe this is what his mind came up with to put him at ease and comfort him.

So reader beware. With that all being said there are other near death experiences I truly believe his I do not at all. I do believe he is in heaven. The REAL one not the made up one.
44 comments30 of 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse