4.0 out of 5 stars Christina Calm Down!
Published on December 18, 2000 by J. Martin

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't really sound like a CHRISTMAS album
Much as I really adore Christina Aguilera's startling vocal abilities, I have to comment that this christmas album of hers doesn't cut it as one to instil holiday spirit.
Published on November 12, 2000 by peach momo

4.0 out of 5 stars Christina Calm Down!, December 18, 2000
This review is from: My Kind of Christmas (Audio CD)
The most gifted singer to come along in a long time is obviously Christina Aguilera. She ahs proven she can sing anything with that powerful belt. On her Christmas CD she chooses christmas favorites and a few original songs. Her rendition of Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas will blow everyone away. Other highlight include The Christmas Song and This Christmas. One thing she needs to do is calm down a bit. Her version of O Holy Night is a vocal rollercoaster which easily could have been the highlight of this album, but she feels the need to prove that she really can sing. She already has and I'm sure alot of people would agree with me when I say she should just hit the high note and hold it, that would send shivers up and down my spine. To me it is not appropriate to do vocal acrobatics on standard Christmas songs, but she has an amazing voice and she sings her heart out. I just wish she would calm down.

4.0 out of 5 stars Xtina's kind of Christmas, December 21, 2004
Music_Lover (Trinidad (Caribbean)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Kind of Christmas (Audio CD)
This is NOT made up of traditional Christmas material. It is made up of songs perfomed the way that Christina Aguilera likes the songs, and though the album is not perfect it is not bad at all.

One this album there are some classic songs and a couple new ones. The classic songs are not sung in the traditional manner, Christina puts little twists and adjusts the vocals to personalise the songs to fit her style of singing. The best classic songs performed here are; Merry Christmas Baby, Have yourself a Merry little Christmas, This Christmas, These are the Special Times and The Christmas Song. These are sung mostly traditionally with little bits added on , like an extended vocal etc..

Then there are the other tracks like Christmas Time and This Year, that she sings that aren't familiar by are also good.

Hark the Hearald Angels Sing and Silent Night are the two that like the least. Hark takes on a whole new sound that doesn't fit with me really and Silent Night is beautiful except towards the end where it turns into a church choir sound.

Though this album has its faults it should be enjoyable to many durng this festive time of year. It is not doubted that Christina has immense talent , however on some of the tracks here she tends to over vocalise a bit. Neverthe less an enjoyable album by a talented young woman.

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't really sound like a CHRISTMAS album, November 12, 2000
This review is from: My Kind of Christmas (Audio CD)
Her voice, indeed, is greater than ever. She sings with better control and more elaborate stylisations - but at times she overdoes it, gorging an entire track with the maximum amount of her vocal callisthenics possible. Jazz appears to be Aguilera's best platform for displaying that talent of hers to best effect - hear "Merry Xmas Baby".
However, amid the impressive melismatic curls, where is the tenderness in her music, voice? The uptempo tracks are best guilty of the latter flaw - Arresting in the audio makeup, but nevertheless overproduced and devoid of the simplicity best rendered in christmas songs. (Track 11, "Christina's Xmas", a meaningless, hip hop interlude that does no good to the album at all.)
This 11-track album will be remembered for the vocal showmanship, but for the holiday spirit, there are better CDs out there.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, November 28, 2000
This review is from: My Kind of Christmas (Audio CD)
When I first saw this album in the store, I was very excited to hear what Christina could do with these Christmas works. I am a classical singer, and Christina is one of the few pop singers I can stand because I think her talent and musicicality are very impressive. Upon finally listening to the album, I became very frustrated. She has a beautiful voice and I found myself shouting at the speakers, "stop that!" She would never hold a note out past a beat and a half in the beautiful "Oh Holy Night." Instead she had to improvise runs for every single note. She never paid any attention to line or the beauty of the actual written music. She just tore through it without really singing the songs. For me, this was very disappointing and frustrating from a singer, who I feel, is better. If you're looking for a Christmas album of beauty and enjoyment of holiday music, I suggest Barbra Streisand's classic one and Jewel's collection. Very artistic, moving and beautiful.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not my kind of Christmas, November 29, 2000
This review is from: My Kind of Christmas (Audio CD)
I've been very impressed with Ms. Aguilera's vocal talents since I first heard them on The Mickey Mouse Club years ago, however this CD is ridiculously overdone. While I am all for artists making song their own, this just seems a way for her and her producers to show off vocal talents while butchering classic Christmas songs. After listening to the first five tracks in complete disapointment I had hoped Oh Holy Night would be of some quality. The beginning was lovely. Using her wondrous voice to accent this songs wonderful writing. Then ruining this beautifully haunting piece with what seems to be becomming her trademark 5 million unneccesary vocal slides. Hopefully she will grow out of this need as Mariah Carey has seemed to do since her first three Albums or so. Bottom line is I would return this CD if the store would let me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ruins the Joy Of Christmas Songs, October 27, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: My Kind of Christmas (Audio CD)
In the spirit of POP singers exploiting Christmas, we now may add Christina Aguilera to this list. Once again, she sacrifices great songs to play vocal gymnastics. She ruins such great songs as "Silent Night" by running through the lyrics just to jump up and down her vocal chords. This CD is not very good. It is best to buy the old Christmas CD's like Nate King Cole or Hank Williams. If you like Christmas songs being yelled into your ears, then this is the CD for you. If you're not a fan of hers, then don't buy it cause you won't like it. Christina should have left this CD in the bottle. This CD is up there with other great popstars Christmas CD's like N Sync and 98 Degrees. They just shouldn't make Holiday CD's.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not her best..needs to lessen the mariah carey act a bit., December 19, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: My Kind of Christmas (Audio CD)
Christina has a BEAUTIFUL VOICE but she makes too much Oohs and Aahs throughout this album--she's OVERDOING HER SINGING. I like pop, r&b, soul so dont think i'm dissing her music. She needs to lay off the mariah carey act or at least lessen it a bit because her oohs and ahs seems like she's ruining the beauty of the songs..she does this more than actually singing the songs..the songs kinda drags with the way she sings it. And she jumps from one pitch to another it doesnt sound smooth and it doesnt sound pleasant (even mariah or whitney didn't overdo their singing at least when they jump pitches or do oh's and ah's it was smooth and sweet)..like she bursts out a high pitch in the middle of the song it seems like she really didnt have to do that.And she yells/sings too loud when it should stay sweet and calming..We all know she has a great voice, she doesnt need to let us know by her yelling so much. She sounds like she's rather showing off her voice instead of bringing out the beauty of the xmas songs. I only like 3 songs..Have yourself a merry little xmas, chestnut song and the remix. The rest of the songs on this album are pop/r&b versions of xmas songs..it doesn't sound christmassy just pop/r&b songs with the word xmas in it..i guess this is why she called it "My kind of xmas". This cd is okay for xmas parties/dancing if you don't like the traditional xmas version.

3.0 out of 5 stars The stars for three songs., November 25, 2005
C. Torres "geokaii" (Hartford, Connecticut United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Kind of Christmas (Audio CD)
If you're a fan of Christna I would suggest that you buy this album, but if you are a fan you have most likely already done so. The best tracks here are Merry Christmas Baby, These Are The Special Times (which is a modern classic), and The Christmas Song. I really love these songs and would buy this album again just to have them but with iTunes and Napster you can buy these songs individually and save some bucks.

This album was rushed as most Christmas albums were during this time in Popdom, the new songs are silly and lame and the classics are overexaggerated (for the most part).

During this time in Christina's career she was desperately trying to prove that she could sing, hoping that this fact would seperate her from the Britney's of the time. This isn't my favorite christmas album.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Kind of Singer!, November 24, 2001
This review is from: My Kind of Christmas (Audio CD)
Christina Aguilera just continues to impress me year after year as she releases more and more great music. With this, he first holiday disc, Aguilera proves what her range is all about. The album in a word is amazing. Though the vocals become a bit extreme in some tracks, they are splendid in others. Her new songs are very easliy calleld masterpieces and her renditions of classic carols go from startling to just plain perfect!
1. Christmas Time: This is a pretty song, but unless you listen to it a lot, the tune sort of escapes you. ***
2. This Year: This is my second favorite of the album. It sounds a bit R&B, but stays very undeniably Christmas-y. Her vocals in this one are just right; powerful and strong, yet not overdone. *****
3. Have Yourself a Merry Merry Christmas: Third favorite of the album. She does such a remarkable job with this Judy Garland classic, you'd never believe Christina wasn't the first to record it. Everything about it is expressive and heartfelt, there is so much emotion in her voice, it just makes you feel like smiling. *****
4. Angels We Have Heard on High: Okay, second WORST of the album. She starts off very well, but towards the end, she includes a choir and just screams too much for my liking. Hard to listen to. I usually just listen to the first half, then skip to the next song. **
5. Merry Christmas, Baby: My favorite of the album. This new classic begins with "Auld Lang Syne," then goes into a really Ella Fitzgerald-sounding jazz song. Buy the album for this song if nothing else! *************************************
6. O Holy Night: Another beautiful carol. Very strong and expressive, though she sounds like she's concentrating too hard on her voice and not so much on the words. ****
7. These Are The Special Times: This is yet another favorite. So rich and gorgeous in every imaginable way, this song just deals with the beauty of the holiday and the meaning. Very nice. *****
8. This Christmas: Okay, but another one you forget the tune really quickly. ***
9. XTINA'S Song: Very worst thing I've ever heard by Christina. It's just Ms. Aguilera screaming "It's Christmas time!" over and over to a synthesized tune. Unpleasant. *
10. The Christmas Song (Holiday Remix): My tie for best of the album. She's really feeling what she's singing and does the best job with this song! It has a really good new beat, but it sort of sounds like someone's playing billiards in time with the music. I love it anyway, though. *****
This is a very impressive CD and has just fabulous songs. So? What are you waiting for? BUY IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent modern-day Christmas album, December 27, 2000
This review is from: My Kind of Christmas (Audio CD)
Sure, there is more than enough riffing on this album, and many times the background instrumentals are drowned out by Christina's LOUD voice, but there's nothing here that would blow out your eardrums, give you a headache, or wake you up from your sleep. MOST of the new Christmas songs are lovely, and I liked all of the holiday remakes, but only one is really true to its original - however, the point was for Christina to make her OWN mark on the remakes, right? In any given situation, this album was the prodcut of a fantastic effort even in the short time Christina had while recording her superior Spanish album and going on a sold-out 37 city tour (which I recommend you go see.)
1. CHRISTMAS TIME: A very catchy song that kind of reminds me of "Come On Over Baby (All I Want Is You)" fueled with "fa-la-la's. It has the same sort of energy and a rap, which is actually impressive. (10/10)
2. THIS YEAR: This is my personal favorite off of the album. It's a mid-tempo, sexual R&B song, which takes advantage of everything possibly sexy during the holidays. (10/10)

3. HAVE YOURSELF A MERRY LITTLE CHRISTMAS: This remake stays true to the traditional version. The song is so beautiful! Everyone should hear her doing a duet with Brian McKnight on this song. (10/10)

4. ANGELS WE HAVE HEARD ON HIGH: Anyone who really loves the traditional version of this age-old classic may hate Christina's version or love the change. I personally would have preferred to listen to her singing a normal version, but the R&B version she chose to do is unique and pretty clever. (8.5/10)

5. MERRY CHRISTMAS BABY (FEATURING DR. JOHN): Well, she did it. Christina told her fans all along that she was interested in blues, and here's a great blues remake. This is another sexy song - "I haven't had a shot yet, but I'm lit up like a Christmas tree." A great voice in this one, but it may be too much for some. (9.5/10)
6. OH HOLY NIGHT (FEATURING BILLY PRESTON): This is my favorite Christmas carol of all time. Christina's version of it was amazing until the part where she recites the Lord's Prayer. It's not that I don't like the Lord's Prayer, but it was the part that came after that. The blues part ... I can't stand that. (8.5/10)

7. THESE ARE THE SPECIAL TIMES: To my surprise, Celine Dion sang this song before Christina, but the writer, Diane Warren, decided to recycle this song, so it doesn't count as a remake. I heard Celine's version, but honestly I like Christina's. This song is good for any time of the year. (10/10)

8. THIS CHRISTMAS: This has never been my favorite carol, but I like what Christina's touch did to it. (9/10)

9. THE CHRISTMAS SONG: This is not my favorite remake of the song, but the techno instrumentals kind of grew on me. (9.5/10)

10. XTINA'S XMAS: This is an interlude, not a song. (NO RATING)

11. THE CHRISTMAS SONG (HOLIDAY REMIX): I think everyone could have done without this one. Maybe instead of this remix (or track 10) RCA should have left the beautiful "Silent Night (Noche de Paz)" on the album. (8/10)

My Kind of Christmas
My Kind of Christmas by Christina Aguilera (Audio CD - 2004)
Rate and Discover Movies