5.0 out of 5 stars Music To Warm Your Holiday Season
Published on November 5, 2009 by George M. Zavaglia

3.0 out of 5 stars Track 6: FAIL.
Published on December 20, 2009 by deckeda

5.0 out of 5 stars Music To Warm Your Holiday Season, November 5, 2009
This review is from: My Kind Of Christmas (Audio CD)
Whether "My Kind Of Christmas" makes it into your music collection will largely depend on how much of Dean Martin's seasonal repertoire you already own. Almost everything heard here is available on other CD's. The exception is "Winter Wonderland" which has been newly orchestrated to increase its' swing quotient. The result gives Martin collectors a reason to buy this CD, but doesn't ruin the mood created by the rest of the vintage tracks

These 14 songs are full of Christmas cheer. Dean breezes through stuff like "Jingle Bells" and "Let It Snow, "Let It Snow, Let It Snow". There's both a sense of enjoyment in his voice and humor in his delivery. Listen to the German accent this Italian balladeer gives Santa during "Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer". Only Dino could get away with that!

A couple of tunes concern themselves more with what might go on under the mistletoe rather than Christmas itself. There's a bouncy version of "I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm" and the sly fun of a 1959 recording of "Baby It's Cold Outside" in which a female chorus tries to escape Dino's attempts to have a "hot time" on a cold and snowy evening.

There are also nostalgic and beautiful versions of "White Christmas", Silver Bells" and "Silent Night" that are sung smooth as silk. They'll make you think of the Christmas TV specials you used to know; the ones helmed by great singing hosts like Dino, Bing and Perry.

"My Kind Of Christmas" is NOT bad, just repetitive. I guess that's bound to happen, when you consider that unlike other singers with a bigger catalog of holiday themed material, Dean only made a total of two dozen studio recordings of this type. But, put this CD on as background music during a holiday get together this year and I'll bet more than a few of your guests will smile just a little bit bigger. Dean Martin's voice has a way of making people do that.

3.0 out of 5 stars Track 6: FAIL., December 20, 2009
This review is from: My Kind Of Christmas (Audio CD)
Seems every few years somebody decides to release a new collection of essentially the same (and well, only ...) Christmas tunes Dean Martin recorded. And so they go looking for some new way to "spruce it up." In 2006 it was with a country singer. This time it's with an overblown rock beat on one song. I won't call these efforts gimmicks, but I DO look forward to the 2011 CD which will no doubt feature T-Pain.

If the preview of this 2009 release is representative, they've wisely ditched the Martina McBride "duet" from 2006's Baby It's Cold Outside and restored the original.

But a heavy-handed, bouncy pseudo rock beat was overlaid on Winter Wonderland for 2009. The original strings and backing vocals are still there, just buried under the muck--along with Martin's voice. Compare it to the original version available elsewhere and you'll agree that less is more.

The OOP 2004 "Christmas with Dino" release remains the best Dean Martin Christmas CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars We've Got Dino To Keep Us Warm, November 21, 2009
This review is from: My Kind Of Christmas (Audio CD)
Forgive me if the title of my review is a little cheesy, but it's not that far off, is it? It's that time of the year again, and how I love it.
Some years ago I made sure to buy an Elvis Presley Christmas compilation (Christmas Peace) for my parents 'cause to me it's just not Christmas without Elvis or Dean. I always go to my parents' house for Christmas, and we always listen to Elvis Presley and Dean Martin while decorating the tree and having a few drinks, etc.

I received "My Kind Of Christmas" a couple of days ago, and I'm really enjoying it. The remastered sound is lovely. I'm a bit of a purist, but I actually really like the new "mix" of Winter Wonderland. In reality, the musical backing is brand new, only Dean's voice and the backing vocals are the same as the old version, but don't let that put you off, it works very well. The drums deliver a nice, punchy sound without overpowering the vocals, and the bassline sounds absolutely wonderful. For me, "My Kind Of Christmas" will be the soundtrack for this year's Christmas and for many Christmases to come. Thank God for Dean Martin's enduring legacy. Life just wouldn't be the same without Dino. Buy it now and warm up for Christmas.

Enjoy! And - Merry Christmas!

3.0 out of 5 stars A dissenting opinion, November 16, 2011
Enough is enough. Exactly how many times is the material from Dean Martin's two Christmas/Winter LPs going to be reissued? First we had the 2004 version of Christmas with Dino which nicely compiled 17 Christmas related tracks from Martin's Capitol and Reprise releases. It was pretty close to perfect and is still your best option. Then we got the 2006 version (Christmas With Dino) with new cover art but basically the same contents except for a remixed version of "Baby It's Cold Outside" with country singer Martina McBride taking on the female part. Frankly I think it was a mistake.

In 2009 we were given the first version of My Kind Of Christmas - gone was the McBride vocal but now we get a contemporary mix of "Winter Wonderland" which pales in comparison to the familiar and classic 1959 version and sounds oddly like Dean Martin fronts Mannheim Steamroller. (I love Mannheim Steamroller, but this track just seems completely out of place.) Also gone were the alternate versions of "Let It Snow", "Winter Wonderland", and "White Christmas": Christmas With Dino had included both the 1959 Capitol and 1966 Reprise versions of those three tracks. But wait, there's more! Along comes 2011 and "My Kind of Christmas" also gets a makeover and since they apparently didn't learn their lesson with the McBride vocal, now they've replaced the original version of "I'll Be Home for Christmas" with a newly mixed duet with Scarlett Johansson. So that's four releases in eight years covering essentially the same material.

I'll be honest I've never been very fond of the instrumental arrangements or production found on the 1966 "The Dean Martin Christmas Album" on Reprise. It's got a bit of a more "contemporary" feel (for the time) and just doesn't fit Martin's "lounge" style. My first recommendation is to pick up 1959's A Winter Romance. There you will find the classic arrangements of Gus Levene, the production of long-time Sinatra producer Lee Gillette and the classic Martin versions of "Winter Wonderland", "Let It Snow", "I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm", and "Baby It's Cold Outside" (without Martina McBride). Yes, those tracks can be found on these compilations as well but "Winter Romance" works best as a "theme album" and you'll want to hear Martin's takes on "The Things We Did Last Summer", "June in January", "Canadian Sunset" and "It Won't Cool Off".

2nd choice: If you are going to go with one of these four 21st century comps then seek out the 2004 version of Christmas with Dino.

5.0 out of 5 stars you'll love this for years, November 14, 2009
Matthew G. Sherwin (last seen screaming at Amazon customer service) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: My Kind Of Christmas (Audio CD)
Dean Martin crooned alongside the best of them; and I must say he's one of the very best male vocalists I've ever heard. This excellent CD offers us nothing but charming and timeless holiday music all performed flawlessly by Dean; and the quality of the sound is excellent. There's not a single dud in the bunch and the artwork is great.

The album starts with "Baby, It's Cold Outside" and Dean is in excellent form throughout the song! Other secular songs include the beautiful "Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow" with strings and percussion to enhance the number even more; "Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer" which has Dean never letting go of a superfluous note; "Winter Wonderland" which boasts a fine arrangement; "Jingle Bells" with that fine vocal backup; "Blue Christmas" which is a number I first heard performed by Elvis Presley and a sublime treatment of "I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm."

Of course there are other songs of note. "Silver Bells" has Dean Martin squarely in the spotlight--which is right where he belongs! "The Christmas Blues" is very well done and even easy on the ear; and I really like Dean's terrific rendition of "White Christmas." Excellent! In addition, Dean delivers "Silent Night" with genuine emotion and sensitivity; and "A Marshmallow World" is another song thrown in for fun--it all holds its own very well, too.

"I'll Be Home for Christmas" is one of my very favorite Christmas songs; it was my mother's favorite by far. The album also ends with Dean Martin outdoing even himself as he sings "Peace on Earth" and "Silent Night."

Dean Martin never disappointed his adoring fans; and this holiday album showcases Dean's exceptional ability to deliver Christmastime songs with panache. I highly recommend this CD for his fans; and people who enjoy classic holiday music are sure to like this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool Christmas, September 11, 2011
This review is from: My Kind Of Christmas (Audio CD)
I was at my wife's office Christmas Party [in a hotel banquet room full of her knife wielding co-workers] when Dean Martin's voice appeared on the sound system loudspeaker. He sang "Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer" in a comical super-smooth delivery. It was so smooth and so cool that my anti-schmaltz radar crashed for several hours.
I realized why Dino was great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Him, April 1, 2013
This review is from: My Kind of Christmas (Audio CD)
I love Dean Martin's voice. So mellow ~ so sexy ~ he makes me feel like he's singing right to me. And what better music than Christmas? Well, there are other songs he sang that I love too ~ but I'm old. This is a great album.

5.0 out of 5 stars JZ, March 15, 2012
This review is from: My Kind of Christmas (Audio CD)
Why try to find all of your Dean MArtin favorite Christmas songs? They are all here on one CD. A great CD for the buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Classic Holiday Music By Dino!, September 17, 2011
This review is from: My Kind Of Christmas (Audio CD)
The sound of Holiday music has immensely changed since the Dean Martin years, but this album takes you back to that easy listening, sentimental exciting feeling that Christmas gives you. If you love the sound of classic Holiday albums from Frank Sinatra, Doris Day, or even Bing Crosby, this album must be in your collection! Most of the tracks are the original recordings except for "Winter Wonderland" (which is jazzed up in a bit of modern-day rock sense). With immortal songs like "Baby It's Cold Outside", "Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!", "Rudolph, The Red-Nosed Reindeer", and "I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm", you're sure to be filled with memories of the old-fashioned fun that Dean Martin sang.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dean-O!, January 30, 2010
Cynthia (Madison, WI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Kind Of Christmas (Audio CD)
Excellent recording. It's Dean, after all! A close friend's family had this on vinyl in the 60s and she said the cover is just like the original. My whole family loves it!

My Kind of Christmas
My Kind of Christmas by Dean Martin (Audio CD - 2011)