5.0 out of 5 stars Scrubs remains a true gem after 4 seasons
Published on July 11, 2006 by Crazy Canucker

3.0 out of 5 stars Sorrow and a sense of overtime
Published 8 months ago by Tim Lieder

5.0 out of 5 stars Scrubs remains a true gem after 4 seasons, July 11, 2006
Season 4 of Scrubs picks up where Season 3 left off, and that was by remaining the most original comedy on network tv. As cliche as it may sound, because you will more then likely read this in almost every "Scrubs" review. Scrubs brings life to a bland and generic genre that is known as sitcoms. Although the network may not notice the brilliance that is Scrubs, atleast someone besides the shows fans notice it, as Season 4 of Scrubs was nominated for 4 Emmys.

Here is a quick list of the episodes that you will find in the 3-disc set of Season 4

Season 4-1 My Old Friend's New Friend
Season 4-22 My Big Move
Season 4-23 My Faith In Humanity
Season 4-24 My Drive-By
Season 4-25 My Changing Ways

Season 4 features several interesting episodes, and one of them being "My Life In 4 Cameras". This episode pretty much pokes fun at your tradition sitcoms, those of which use multi-cameras and laugh-tracks.

And much like His Story and His Story II in which the episodes were told from the perspective of Turk and Dr. Cox, Season 4 features the episode "Her Story" which is from the perspective of Elliot. JD's brother also returns in a back-to-back episodes as he has come to inform JD of a trategy in the family. The friendship between JD and Turk is also tested in "My Lips are Sealed" and "My Changing Ways" when Turk discovers an interaction that took place between Carla and JD.

Season 4 includes everything you would expect from Scrubs, solid writing, a great main cast which gels better then any show that is currently on television. And much like Seasons 1-3 it contains more great guest stars that fit write in. This all comes together to form another season which is both helarious and touching at the same time. If you are a fan of Scrubs, then you owe it to yourself to pick up Season 4 up come October. If you havn't given it a chance yet, you have surely been missing out on 5 years of great television.

5.0 out of 5 stars Season 4 Is Filled With Humor & Real Emotion. Scrubs Is Still The Freshest Comedy On Television, October 22, 2006
Kaya Savas (Studio City, CA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
REVIEW: Scrubs, a half hour of brilliant comedy and drama (not necessarily in that order) that has continued to break new ground and give us fresh entertainment in its entire 5 years so far. If you don't know the backbone of the show then read my past review of season 3 for a better in depth analysis of it. In a nutshell, Scrubs follows four friends working as doctors in a hospital as they navigate the ups and downs of love, friendship, and life overall. Season 4 continues in tradition and delivers the goods as we've come to expect. This season is really focused on the love relationships of our characters, and it has so much room to work with since the characters have already been firmly established. Heather Graham is the main guest star of this season and actually spends a few episodes with the show and creates a pretty great character, it wasn't like last season where we had some big stars stay for only 1 or 2 episodes.

Another part of the season I liked was that they spent lots of time fleshing out the Janitor character, and while we will always know him as the Janitor we now know a lot more about him as a human being. Neil Flynn who plays the Janitor actually gave a very touching performance in one episode where we see the true side of him.

I am proud to admit that Scrubs is the only show that makes me laugh and cry, many times in the same episode. Scrubs hold dear to many fans' hearts and is truly a special show. It has top notch writing that practically anybody can relate to, very loveable characters, hilarious moments, and real human emotion. You can imagine how mad I was when Zach Braff announced that the upcoming sixth season that will air in January 2007 may be his last. He apparently wants to do directing full time, even though only a short while back in an interview he said that he would never leave Scrubs and do directing in the off season. Hopefully he will reconsider and give us 2 more years at least, the show has not shown any signs of slowing down and is still fresh entertaining television. In a mess of mostly horrible network shows, Scrubs shines the brightest.

VIDEO: Scrubs is still filmed in 4:3 and that is how it is presented. The picture quality is excellent though, on par with last season and much improved over the first 2 seasons.

AUDIO: The 5.1 Dolby Digital mix is excellent too. The dialogue is concentrated to the center channel, and the ambient noise of the hospital designated to the surround speakers. The music in 5.1 is great too, and since the music in the show is used for emotional enhancement it makes the experience better.

SPECIAL FEATURES: The past seasons of Scrubs have been excellent when it comes to special features. We had featurettes that explored every aspect of the series and they were greatly entertaining and informative. This season is the first season that shows that they are running out of stuff to talk about, but I am not saying this in a negative way at all. The set has more special features than the average TV show DVD, but it's noticeably less than what we're used to. Still, what we have here is great stuff. We have a featurette on JD's relationship with Dr.Cox, a featurette on the foxy female characters, and a one on one talk with Donald Faison (in tradition with the past sets). The "Weapons Chest" featurette talks about the show's secondary characters (Janitor, Jordan, Ted, etc) and how these characters are the weapons that the writers use to fill in empty pockets in the storyline to add humor. The last featurette is appropriately about the Janitor and how this season we explored his character more than before. We finish off the set with some deleted scenes, alternate lines, and a music video. The only thing I am mad that they didn't include this time around were bloopers, and I know there were bloopers from this season.

BOTTOM LINE: Scrubs is one of a kind, and it is being treated like scum by NBC. For season 5 and the upcoming season 6, NBC pushed Scrubs as a mid-season filler for shows that fail. It's awful that they treat their best show as a last resort. Why ABC doesn't have Scrubs is beyond me, the show is produced and distributed by Buena Vista, so send it to ABC where it belongs and will be treated well. I hope Zach Braff does not leave, it would be a travesty to kill the show now when it is in full gear. Enjoy season 4, it's the most emotional season yet and has some of the series' best moments.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great season with fun filled extras!, August 8, 2006
I really like season 4 of Scrubs just as much as I enjoy other shows such as 3rd Rock, That '70s Show and Will & Grace. But this season really picks up from the season 3 finale just as this show is going into repeat cycle this fall 2006. I really enjoy Zach Braff and co. Here are the episodes.

69.) My Old Friend's New Friend

First aired: 8/31/2004

The new Dr. Clock arrives with her spaced out personality and doesn't cease to call J.D. "Johnny". But J.D. is fine with it, because there is nothing that is going to bring down his last week of being a resident before he officially becomes a full fledged doctor.

70. My Office

First aired: 9/7/2004

Dr. Clock tries to reconsile J.D. and Eliott, while waiting to see which one Dr. Cox will give the Chief Resident position. Molly and Carla are experiencing some subtle conflict and Elliot and J.D. begin to come together after long boughts of conflict of their own. Meanwhile, Dr. Cox, Turk and Janitor are forced to work together to help a patient.

71. My New Game

First aired: 9/14/2004

Dr. Cox is having issues with Jordan since Ted reveals that they are still technically married due to some filing problems. J.D. has problems of his own as he can't shake the tag of Co-Chief Resident the Janitor assigned to him, while Elliot keeps the Chief Resident tag. Elsewhere, Turk begins to doubt his abilities after letting a patient die, and isn't helped when he finds out J.D. has no confidence in him either. Dr. Cox and Molly spar about her involvement in his patients.

72. My First Kill

First aired: 9/21/2004

J.D. is shocked to hear Dr. Cox tell his interns that eventually, they will screw up and kill a patient. J.D. fears his first time killing someone will soon be upon him. Elliot is upset with Molly after she disagrees about a patient's promise to attend drug rehab. Carla loses Rowdy and she and the Janitor go looking for him.

9.1 Superb

First aired: 9/28/2004

Elliot becomes unsure she wants Molly as her mentor when she finds out that Molly doesn't have a perfect home life. J.D. is tested in leadership skills when Dr. Cox yells at him in front of his interns. Carla and Turk try to come to an agreement when Turk continuously wakes Carla up every night.

74. My Cake

First aired: 10/12/2004

When Dan resurfaces, J.D. is shocked to learn his father has passed away. The reactions from his co-workers help J.D. a little, but the one person, Dr. Cox, who he wanted to be there for him is too busy with J.D.'s patients. Meanwhile, Dan sits drunk in the bath tub the whole day and Turk finds out he has Type II Diabetes.

75. My Common Enemy

First aired: 10/19/2004

When J.D. finds Dan with Elliot, Turk tells him to use the hurt brother excuse to get them to break up, just like Turk uses his diabetes to get stuff from Carla. But then J.D. realizes he wasn't hurt at all... Dr. Cox and Dr. Kelso unite to try and torment their common enemy -- Dr. Clock.

76. My Last Chance

First aired: 10/26/2004

When Molly takes a job in another city, she and J.D. end up having a night of kissing and he tries to rush to sleep with her before she leaves. Dr. Cox goes on Ambulance duty with a maniac who he eventually finds out is a woman who has lost her son to an accident.

77. My Malpractical Decision (Part 1 of 2)

First aired: 11/9/2004

J.D. is approached by a malpractice attorney, asking him to do a risky procedure on her father. Meanwhile, Elliot guides Doug to a new career path and Turk struggles to avoid a hypochondriac patient.

78. My Female Trouble (Part 2 of 2)

First aired: 11/16/2004

With the case against Turk on his mind, J.D. attempts to end it with Neena, but she won't take no for an answer and keeps him wrapped around her finger. Carla tries her own way of persuading Mr. Corman to drop the lawsuit. And Elliot sets out to prove she isn't the doctor she was 4 years ago and doesn't need to rely on anyone anymore.

79. My Unicorn

First aired: 11/23/2004

J.D. takes matters into his own hands, when searching for a relative for his favorite patient. Meanwhile, Elliot is fed-up with co-workers not taking her seriously, and discovers she can get her way by flaunting her femininity with some help from Carla and Jordan.

80. My Best Moment

First aired: 12/7/2004

When J.D. must address a bunch of pre-med students about what it's like to be a doctor, he strays off the beaten path and chooses to discuss his best moments as a doctor instead. When he challenges the rest of the staff to do so, they all reminisce about their fondest memories in the medical field. Meanwhile, Elliot is forced to face her fear of children when she must befriend a ten-year-old boy, whose father is being treated in the I.C.U.

81. My Ocardial Infarction

First aired: 1/18/2005

Elliot starts showing J.D. up as the calmer, more competent doctor. A date with the Janitor leads to an a cappella sing-off between his "group" and Ted's band. Turk starts taking his diabetes more seriously when he realizes the dire consequences of the disease.

82. My Lucky Charm

First aired: 1/25/2005

A man injured in a bar fight teaches Turk and J.D. a lesson about living life to the fullest.

83. My Hypocritical Oath

First aired: 2/1/2005

J.D. has a crush on a girl that he met at a club and he's torn about telling her that her boyfriend has gonorrhea. Elliot decides to take a stand against Dr. Kelso with one of her patients.

84. My Quarantine

First aired: 2/8/2005

JD struggles to impress Kylie on their first date; during a hospital quarantine, Turk learns that Carla once dated Cox; Danni Sullivan returns to annoy everyone; Laverne, Kelso, and Janitor fight over a "face cake."

85. My Life in Four Cameras

First aired: 2/15/2005

When JD meets a former writer from his all-time favorite TV show "Cheers," JD begins to picture his life at the hospital as a bland, multiple-camera sitcom where everything is perfect and wraps up nicely. Back in reality, Cox is relunctant to fire an amiable cafeteria worker, while Turk and Carla struggle to keep their promise of constant romantic affection afloat.

86. My Roommates

First aired: 2/22/2005

JD is thrown out of the apartment; Turk and Carla continue to struggle to keep the romance alive; Cox has reason to believe that the son of an old buddy is autistic.

87. My Best Laid Plans

First aired: 3/1/2005

JD ditches a seemingly uninterested Kylie for Dr. Clock, who just returned from Milwaukee; Carla fumes over Turk's frequent phone calls to an ex-girlfriend; Janitor and Cox make a wager over Elliot.

88. My Boss' Free Haircut

First aired: 3/29/2005

Kelso dons scrubs to prove a point to Cox, only to watch it backfire when an obnoxious patient refuses to listen to him; JD and Turk party while Carla struggles to find solace in Elliot.

89. My Lips Are Sealed

First aired: 4/5/2005

When Carla and J.D. go out to let Carla have some fun, they get drunk and end up accidentally kissing. Dr. Cox gets the hammer dropped by Jordan when Jack has to get stitches under Perry's watch. Elliot has trouble with a male patient who has taken enhancement pills.

90. My Big Move

First aired: 4/12/2005

JD and Carla get the silent treatment from Turk, who can't seem to control his emotions after learning about their kiss; Cox reluctantly seeks the help of Elliot when an epileptic patient won't listen to him; Janitor feels emasculated by his new uniform; Jordan trys Botox.

91. My Faith in Humanity

First aired: 4/19/2005

Turk won't open up at couples therapy; Elliot refuses Cox's romantic advice when a very attractive man saunters into the hospital; JD learns a lesson in humanity from a dying old woman; Janitor accidently lets a bunch of rats run around Sacred Heart.

92. My Drive-By

First aired: 4/26/2005

Elliot is torn between moving too quickly and ruining her new relationship with Jake. Dr. Cox teaches Turk about having a healthy ego and Dr. Kelso and the Janitor fight over who gets to use the motorized cart.

93. My Changing Ways

First aired: 5/10/2005

With their residencies over, there are big changes at Sacred Heart. J.D. moves out to live on his own while Turk and Carla consider a family change, creating another rift in their long friendship; Jordan is hired to handle some paperwork for Kelso, which annoys Cox; Elliot has a job interview at another hospital thanks to her boyfriend Jake.

Now I'll just wait for this past season 5 to come out Next May. Anyway's enjoy have have a great day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scrubs Continues to Impress!, July 17, 2006
A Kid's Review
Season 4 of Scrubs, two weeks after 'My Best Friend's Wedding' (Season 3 Finale). And hell the whole year is a complete sucess with laugher and fun, As the season was nominated for 4 emmys and won an award for multi camera angles and was also voted best comedy program on tv.com.

This season also features 2 episodes perfectley directed by Zach Braff ('My Last Chance' and 'My Best Laid Plans'), the director/actor/writer of 'Garden State'. Actually, i would love to see Zach direct and write an episode of Scrubs, as Garden State was a great example of how good a writer he is.

This season offers a generous 25 episodes. Some of the stand out episodes in the season, besides all of them of course, are;

'My Old Friend's New Friend' - Season Opener.

'Her Story' - Elliot's Story

'My Cake' - In memory of John Ritter's death, JD's father on the show

'My Last Chance' - Directed by Zach Braff

'My Unicorn' - Directed by former 'Friends' star Matthew Perry, who also stars in the episode.

'My Life in Four Cameras' - Taking the mickey out of typical sitcoms.

'My Best Laid Plans' - Directed by ZB

Buy this set. BUY IT. BUY IT. As it holds a great deal of extras including:

-One on One with Donald Faison (Turk)

-Alternate Lines

-Deleted Scenes

Inside Look at 'The Janitor'

Plus much, much, more...

5.0 out of 5 stars It just keeps getting better, February 3, 2007
A lot of people say Scrubs peaked in season 2 or 3, but honestly I really don't see any downturn in quality this season. In fact, it's as good as it's ever been at this point. How can you not love a season in which the janitor winds up in a singing duel with Ted?

In this season, J.D, Turk, and Elliot enter their last year of residency, and Carla and Turk enter their first year of marriage. After three years of equilibrium, though, marriage has changed a few things for our usually solid couple. In "Her Story" Carla decides that she is tired of Turk waking her up every night and that they will begin going to bed at the same time. She decides to enforce this rule, though, in front of Turk's friends while they are in the middle of watching a sporting event, putting Turk on the spot. The problems get much more serious than sleep schedules as the season wears on, but the pair work things out in the end. On the other end of the marital stability scale, Jordan and Dr. Cox are horrified to find out they are still married, in spite of the fact that they now have a toddler together and have managed to work out some kind of domestic tranquility. They are one of those real-life couples that get along forever as long as the "forever" is not in writing.

Scrubs has always had pretty good Christmas episodes, and this season was no exception. "My Best Moment" has J.D. addressing a group of pre-med students when one of them asks him what his best moment in medicine was. It gets him thinking about his best moment, and he challenges the staff to do the same. As a result we are treated with some hilarious flashbacks of best moments whose only relationship to medicine are that they occurred in or near a hospital. The serious part of the episode is that a young single father has just been admitted, he is "circling the drain" to quote Cox, and the staff doesn't know what the problem is. They all work together to bring the man back to health, and later we see them revisiting their tales of their best moment in medicine, except this time it is this young man's illness and recovery that is at the center of each of their stories.

Although the season was excellent overall, there was one subplot that continually annoyed me, that being Turk's initial diagnosis of type two diabetes and the subsequent storylines involving it. I know this show must have medical consultants on staff, yet this is the most unrealistic treatment this particular disease could possibly receive. Basically Turk is just portrayed as someone who can never have another piece of chocolate cake. However, beer, extra-large pizzas, and other assorted high-carb treats are consumed by him without restraint. Since diabetes is a disease of carbohydrate metabolism, this is completely unrealistic. Not to mention the fact that he is a surgeon, with this disease possibly having devastating effects on his eyesight and nervous system and thus the potential to wreck his entire career. It was touching, though, to see Carla comforting Turk about the disease, declaring herself a W.O.D - wife of diabetic - and telling him how she is alway online with other "W.O.D.'s", bragging about how proud she is of him.

Finally, there is the issue of J.D. and Elliot. When we left these two last season, Elliot had just K.O'd J.D. after he (a) told her to break up with Sean and be with him instead and then (b) realized that this is not what he wanted AFTER she had already dumped Sean. Naturally, the two have problems after this little episode, which isn't helped by the fact that they are made co-chief residents and have to share one tiny office. But finally, when J.D.'s brother returns and starts dating Elliot, J.D. realizes this doesn't bother him, and that maybe it really is over between him and Elliot and they can finally just be friends. Honest.

There are lots of other great moments in this season, but I just don't have room to mention them all. In summary, this is another great season of Scrubs and I highly recommend it as an excellent blend of zany comedy and heart-wrending drama.

5.0 out of 5 stars The comedy is back in full force but where's the heart?, October 24, 2006
I've been a devoted Scrubs fan from the get-go. It's common knowledge that their distinct brand of comedy and touching moments never fails to amaze. However, on season 4 we see the comedy come more to the forefront. But where season 3, I thought, felt a little overdramatic at times, season 4 doesn't touch on real heartbreaking moments much which does disappoint me a little. As the writers have said, they pride themselves on making things feel real, so I find it difficult to believe that working in a hospital filled with dying people that a marriage on the rocks is more important. However, it is a good and engaging storyline throughout the season.

Season 3 ended with quite the cliffhanger in which JD broke Eliot's heart. It takes a few episodes for her to forgive but I would've liked her to have held the grudge a bit longer. Other than that, both JD and Eliot move on to different people, Cox and Jordan are still together, and Turk and Carla (of course) are still holding strong. As for the janitor and Bob Kelso, they keep their usual antics up. Dr. Kelso's 'return to being a real doctor' episode surprised me though. It's hilarious but also kind of makes you look at him as more than a ball-breaker. And the janitor really pursues his crush on Eliot which is pretty funny.

With the focus seemingly strongly fixed upon comedy this time around, they came out strong. Season 3 was funny but I didn't find myself quoting it randomly like I did with 1 & 2. That magic is back thankfully. But it is a shame that there's such few touching moments. Molly Shannon's appearance was excellent with her performance showing true vulnerabilty. Past that, we can only hope season 5 can marry the two as successfully as the first two seasons did. Newcomers need not start here, go back to the beginning because you'll be lost if you start here. I'm wholly impressed with this release and Scrubs remains my favorite show on TV. Give us better extras next time!

5.0 out of 5 stars The SCRUBS gang turns out yet another outstanding season, August 14, 2006
SCRUBS has been a model of consistency in its five seasons--and to interrupt myself, why aren't we anticipating Season Five instead of Season Four? And boo! on them for being so slow to bring the show out on DVD!--and Season Four is no exception. I recently rewatched Seasons 1 through 3 on DVD with my daughter and it really brought home just how great this series has been from the very beginning to the present. If you visit boards there are always prognosticators who declare that it isn't as good as it used to be, but I would be dishonest if I said that I detected any decline. One thing I've really enjoyed is that unlike situation comedies, this one really does have an overall story arc, and I really appreciate Bill Lawrence and Co. taking the time to reward fans of the show in this way.

The story in Season Four revolves largely around the very, very gradual repair of the friendship between JD and Elliott. Fans of the show know that at the end of Season Three JD, utterly smitten by Elliott, had expressed his love for her, causing her to break off her relationship with her boyfriend to be with JD. No sooner had he done this, however, he once again felt trapped and almost immediately broke things off with her. Season Four opens with her filled with hatred of him, complicated by the fact that she and he are named co-chief residents (though there is wonderful confusion over the fact that the name plate on her door reads--thanks to Janitor--"Chief Resident" and his misleadingly reads "Co-Chief Resident," causing many to imagine that she is over him). Some of my favorite visuals in the series are of JD and Elliott wedged into their ultra tiny office, barely large enough for the desk they face each other across. Of course, eventually they patch things up, but for the first season have no kind of romantic entanglement. Given the intensity of the events of the ends of Season Three, any sort of getting together would certainly have ended with Elliott murdering JD. The season ends with Carla and Turk urging JD to move out and get a place of his own, which leads to an interesting roommate situation in Season Five.

Season Four continued the SCRUBS tradition of having some very high profile guest stars. This was marred somewhat by having the absolutely dreadful Colin Farrell on one episode, an episode through which he drifted as if completely drunk or totally bored (there have been very few bad episodes of SCRUBS, but this episode ranks near the bottom). The always delightful Heather Graham sparkled through several episodes earlier in the season. Matthew Perry stopped by for an episode less interesting for his presence than for his being teamed with his father, Jonathan Bennett Perry, a country singer best known to most people as the Old Spice sailor. Tara Reid puts in another appearance as JD's terrible sometimes girlfriend while Molly Shannon is in another episode. And Julianna Margulies of ER appears in a couple of episodes.

The great tragedy with SCRUBS is that it remains something of a secret. The only comedy better than SCRUBS in the past few years has been ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT (most fans of one show tend to be a fan of the other as well, and the lead of each show appeared on the other, Zach Braff as the producer of the GIRLS WITH LOW SELF-ESTEEM series of videos on AR and Jason Bateman as a patient on SCRUBS) and while it won a large number of awards, its ratings were worse than SCRUBS. This show has decent ratings, but shockingly few awards. How terrible shows like EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND and the formerly good but now dull WILL AND GRACE beat it out for awards is mystifying. And how did it manage only one Emmy nomination? It was nominated for Best Comedy Series, but why wasn't Zach Braff nominated for Best Comic Actor and John C. McGinley and Donald Faison for Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series and Sarah Chalke for Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series? How is that possible? Much ink has been spilt on how the 2006 Emmy nominations have made less sense than any in memory (Lauren Graham yet again not nominated, though clearly the best comic actress on TV for at least five years and five vastly less talented women were nominated instead of her; LOST not nominated; no nominations for VERONICA MARS; Jason Lee not nominated for MY NAME IS EARL; neither Michael Chiklis, Hugh Laurie, nor James Gandolofini nominated for Best Actor, while Martin Sheen who was barely appeared in this year's WEST WING; while shows way, way, way, way past their prime like WILL AND GRACE and THE WEST WING nominated; and the list goes on) but Zach Braff's failure to be nominated while Charlie Sheen and Kevin James did is just one more reason not to take the Emmys seriously at all. At least the Golden Globes more or else get it right.

Anyway, awards aside, and armed with the knowledge that the best shows are usually neglected by the Emmys (how many Emmy nods did BUFFY get despite most of the nation's best TV critics passionately begging each year for it to get the recognition it deserved), fans of the show will be delighted with Season Four and if you aren't a fan, you should be. But don't start with Season Four. Go back and do it right. Either buy or rent (I recommend buying--you'll want to watch this more than once) Season One, then work your way forward. Many pleasurable hours will result.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sorrow and a sense of overtime, November 26, 2013
It's very hard to have a successful fourth season. The first three seasons are spent establishing the characters and the situations with several surprises along the way. If a show has a particular arc, usually the first three seasons are the only ones accounted for. Many shows either crashed and burned in the fourth season or began a decline that left the show a vacant shell of its former self. While some shows have managed to avoid the fourth season curse (Seinfeld being the most notable one), many others have found themselves struggling to come up with new material in the fourth season - including How I Met Your Mother which overcame the slump and The Gilmore Girls which introduced Yale and a terrible boyfriend into the series.

After three excellent seasons of Scrubs, the fourth season is the beginning of the end. Most of the episodes aren't egregiously awful, but almost all of them are relying on old tropes and stories that have been sucked dry. Dr. Cox gets stuck with an obnoxious guest star? She has a tragic secret. JD and Elliot are having problems? They will be hilariously pushed together until the JD/Elliot well is again used. None of the characters are capable of surprising the viewer any longer. The first three seasons managed to maintain the illusion of change where Dr. Cox was angry but ultimately warmhearted, JD was immature but learning and Carla and Turk were developing as a couple. These particular character beats have been done so often, that they are wearing thin.

The problem with the fourth season is that the show runners need to choose between character development and familiarity. One of the quintessential episodes has Dr. Cox realizing that he never divorced his ex-wife, so they live as a married couple for 20 minutes and then get divorced again in order to stay together as a happy couple. By this episode, it's obvious that the show runners chose familiarity and that easy and weak choice condemned the show (at least this season) to complete stasis.

Without development, the characters become unbearable. JD maintains his childish manners but by this point, inexperience is no longer an excuse. His character curdles from a young idealistic doctor into a manipulative sociopath who should have been fired years ago. Dr. Cox has the patience of a saint for putting up with him. His girlfriends keep dumping him for what he considers little mistakes (like going out with another woman to blow off their date) Elliot is still the insecure character while Carla and Turk are having trouble centering the show (especially when they still allow JD to live with them). What makes it worse is the fact that they have marital problems that seem based on Turk suddenly acting like JD. The only thing that's different from previous seasons is the Turk Diabetes story.

This has some great moments and it's still Scrubs, but the best days are gone by this point.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hijinks Continue!, October 23, 2006
Again, another spectacular season. The pairing of comedy with heartfelt observations is quite a combination. Having the whole season in one place is a great way to watch the characters develop and you can really see what the writers are trying to do here to tie the whole show together.

The cast is amazingly funny. You can tell they have ridiculous amounts of fun filming this show. Watching JD and Turk re-unite after Turk's been away on his honeymoon is nothing short of hysterical! When Eliot goes on an interview for a fellowship position, I thought I was going to pull a muscle!

Funny, funny, funny, funny stuff. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Show!!, January 10, 2014
Scrubs is probably one of the best TV shows we have ever seen. Even though I purchased my season at Best Buy, I'm still reviewing it here. This is a show that will make you laugh and cry all in one episode. Every time we watched an episode we felt so connected to the characters. If your looking for a funny show that has a serious side this is definitely for you. I would definitely recommend this show. As the seasons move forward the show just get better and deeper and better!!

My Last Chance