4.0 out of 5 stars Fire and desire
Published on March 1, 2002 by J. L LaRegina

3.0 out of 5 stars So Much Sex, So Few Babies
Meditating on morality and the Spitzer-Dupre debacle which is currently in the news, I recalled reading this book. IIRC, towards the end Burt muses that as-far-as-he-knows, he never actually fathered any biological children, believe it or not ! Plus which the book was entertaining I thought, at about a 3-star level. So for a book with implicit moral lessons to be...
Published on March 13, 2008 by Hibernating Hummingbird

4.0 out of 5 stars Fire and desire, March 1, 2002
This review is from: My Life (Hardcover)
MY LIFE, the autobiography of actor Burt Reynolds, was published just a year or two too soon. The book came out shortly after Reynolds' public battle with former wife Loni Anderson, when people were talking more about his love life than his movies. Had Reynolds published this after his work in the film BOOGIE NIGHTS put him back on top, it would have been a more satisfying conclusion to the story.

When illness and gossip threatened an end to Burt Reynolds' acting career, he recalled the words of his former girlfriend Dinah Shore, who had assured him that sooner or later his talent would win back what he had lost. As BOOGIE NIGHTS earned Reynolds an Oscar nomination, how right the late Ms. Shore proved to be. (As I write this, 3/1/02, it would have been Dinah's 85th birthday.)

If you like movies, Burt Reynolds, or both, you can't miss with MY LIFE. The fire in the man's soul and his desire for life's finer things (including the finest women) have made for some incredible ups and downs. And when you're Burt Reynolds, you have a thousand tales of the fantasy life to tell.

Other MY LIFE reviews question the actor's willingness to take a swing at those who upset him. In Reynolds' defense, he never ran from a fight even when he knew he was outmatched. That's the difference between a coward and a man's man: the will to fight with no guarantee you will win. While Reynolds admits passing on man-handling an ex-football player who was in a group of acting students he was throwing out of a class, he also tells about the time he took on Tony "Two Ton" Galento with no hope of winning. That's a tough guy.

Read MY LIFE - or Burt'll come after you!

4.0 out of 5 stars BURT, July 26, 2007
This review is from: My Life (Hardcover)
This book was pretty good but I gave it 4 stars because Burt did not talk about his relationship with Tammy Wynette I read in Tammy's book about it and wanted to hear Burt's side.
He does tell us a lot about the women that have passed through his life it was pretty interesting. I never would have thought Sally was so petty.
and Loni was after money. I think the only woman who really loved Burt was Dinah Shore. I think maybe that was the only woman Burt really loved too.
He tells us the age difference got in the way.
He let other people put doubts in his head about Dinah he should of not listened to others but followed his heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!!, October 23, 1999
This review is from: My Life (Hardcover)
Burt Reynolds' biography is a truly joyride!I've read this book, because I always admired Burt Reynolds, definitively one of the last real movie stars around in the business, and by reading My Life, I discovered that his life was more exciting, outrageous and worth-of-living than I thought. In the book, Burt talks about his childhood, about his family and specially about his father, who was a honest, tough and brilliant man. There is a chapter in which Reynolds talks about him that really impressed me: in one ocasion, one gangster from New York came to his father's office and offered money in order to the police let the gangsters work in their illegal operations. Burt Sr. grabbed the man and forced him to eat every bill. Now I understand how Burt Reynolds went so far in his life and career, he had the example and the strengh of an extraordinary man.And then there are the movies and a behind-the-scenes look into Hollywood's golden era, the time of real stars such as Steve McQueen, John Wayne, Clint Eastwood and so many others. Reynolds talks about how he made some terrible mistakes (like turning down 007's role, or Jack Nicholson's role in Terms of Endertainment, and also the part Kevin Kline played in Soapdish), and how he regreet the fact that he did not marry the most important woman in his life, the woman who taught him a lot about life in short time, Dinah Shore.My Life is an adventure that careens from Broadway to Warner Brothers studios, so exciting as a moonshine running away from the cops!written with kindness and love, Burt Reynolds' My Life is the best book I read in a lot of years. And I must use a line of the book, because that's it is all about: "Like his movies, this book delivers one helluva good time!!".

5.0 out of 5 stars "Very Well-Written", December 3, 2010
Terrance Richard "Terry Richard" (Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: My Life (Hardcover)
After his very public divorce battle with Loni Anderson, Burt Reynolds decided to set the record straight by writing his long-awaited memoirs. In "My Life" Reynolds discusess his career and personal life in debth and gives the reader an insight into what makes Burt Reynolds tick.

Burt discusses his various relationships with actress Sally Field, talk show diva Dinah Shore, his marriage to Loni Anderson and the terrible breakup the ensued and how Anderson tried to take him to the cleaners, and other affairs with various women. He writes about his long career and chats about some of his most famous films like "Deliverance" and "Starting Over", roles that should have garnered Burt Oscars but didn't.

The most telling parts of the book are his chapters on "Deliverance" and "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas". While writing about "Deliverance" Burt states that Ned Beatty was nearly raped for real in the infamous rape scene. The actor portraying the rapist was apparently a "method" actor and it was obvious to Burt and other members of the company that he "wanted" Beatty for his own pleasure. In "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" Reynolds doesn't confirm or deny that he and co-star Dolly Parton had a sexual relationship. He does state how hilarious Dolly can be, especially after telling Burt how she told a guy off one night after he came on to her. What Dolly responds with is too explicit to write here, but you won't forget it after reading those pages!

A fun read I enjoyed "My Life" tremendously and its a good autobiography written by one of the most famous actors of all-time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, August 10, 2010
This review is from: My Life (Hardcover)
I enjoyed this book a lot more than I thought I would. I thought it would be a lot about his football days, but it was mainly about his acting career and the women in his life. I would have liked to read more about Loni. I read this book after reading Loni's book, my life in high heels, of course they both blame the other for infidelity and breaking up the marriage, and I would think that they are both to blame. Burt acts like he was faithful to Loni throughout their romance, but in Loni's book, countless people told her he always had another girlfriend while he was dating Loni. But it was an interesting book and gives you an insight into the hollywood business.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting read, April 26, 2009
This review is from: My Life (Hardcover)
Burt's tough guy image is real! He needs to go to clean action hero school with Bruce Willis! I found the book hard to put down and read it cover to cover. He starts out talking about his dad, a veteran/construction worker/police chief who made a mobster that tried to bribe him eat dollar bills. He also lost his virginity to a woman in her forties and nearly died after a car crash when his heart stopped. In some ways his troubled marriages and partnerships defy belief. He asks for the divorce first. Yet he knew what was wrong before the marriage, so why did he say "I do"? The long relationship with Dinah Shore ended because he wanted children and Dinah was too old. But the first thing Loni Anderson says when she meets him is "I want to have your baby." When they marry, she can't seen to have children and he is not infertile. If they are not infertile then why did his son, Quentin, have to be adopted? There must have been three possible reasons: Contraceptives, cheating or menopause. Her overspending and infidelity would have caused any man to ask for a divorce. But the mystery remains. Why did he marry her when he knew this could happen? Why couldn't they have children? The gripping story of breaking his jaw and becoming addicted to pain relievers also stands out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun to read! What a life he is having., May 26, 1998
This review is from: My Life (Hardcover)
I was lucky enough to be able to produce the audio book edition of Burt's autobiography (which is no longer available) and so I was very familiar with this book. It is one good read! If you like movies, especially if you've liked Burt's, you will love to read his story. One thing I like best, he holds nothing back...so you get to read all about his life and his women....

4.0 out of 5 stars Must read for the Reynolds fans, September 23, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: My Life (Hardcover)
Burt Reynolds has lived an amazing life, and this book takes the reader through all of the interesting moments. There were stories about Burt and other stars in this book that I never could have imagined. A fan of Burt's films, I had no clue about the man behind the film, until I read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars BURT REYNOLDS CAN NOT ONLY ACT BUT CAN WRITE THE HELL OUTTA OF BOOK!!!, January 29, 2014
This review is from: My Life (Hardcover)
I'm in the middle of the book now:) if you want to know more about Burt Reynolds (as I did) this is the boo k for you:)
He is a wonderful writer, really lets you get inside his head:) I have been a fan of mr Reynolds since I was a teenage girl, now at 47, I still find him the sexiest man ever to walk the planet still.....

5.0 out of 5 stars MARVELOUS - He Tells It Like It Was!, November 18, 2011
This review is from: My Life (Hardcover)
Adventures of a stud, from a nieve young man to an experienced cinema star. He is a very likable guy. He relates a fine sellection of events from growing up, through parts of his career, and how he experienced a downturn (could he be burned out?). His longevity as most popular (and most desired) male star would be a challenge to anyone. He tells you what it was like. - The book on tape version has him reading the book to you.-

My Life
My Life by Burt Reynolds (Hardcover - October 17, 1994)
Used & New from: $0.01