4.0 out of 5 stars Decades of Hollywood insider info

3.0 out of 5 stars Mankiewicz autobiography
Published 23 months ago by MGKAL

4.0 out of 5 stars Decades of Hollywood insider info, June 17, 2012
Breezy (surrounded by books) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Life as a Mankiewicz: An Insider's Journey through Hollywood (Screen Classics) (Hardcover)
Tom Mankiewicz has been a force in Hollywood for many years--the son of director Joe (Cleopatra among others). In his very candid memoir, Tom takes the reader into his life, first as the son of someone famous, then as he emerged as a force to be reckoned with on his own. A writer and problem solver for movies, including James Bond, Superman, and Delirious, his career spanned decades, and Tom rubbed shoulders of many of Hollywood's elite.

This informal and relaxed memoir was engaging, warm, and scandal free. I really enjoyed reading Tom's journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Life as a Mankiewicz, August 12, 2012
A tremendously entertaining book I couldn't put down about one man's life in the Hollywood fast lane. Very well written and very funny.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mankiewicz autobiography, August 6, 2012
MGKAL "Maria" (Central Valley CA) - See all my reviews
Tom Mankiewicz' book is full of fun stories about his time in Hollywood. His writing style is casual and suggestive about what contributed to him being a good script writer. A friend offered that today, Mankiewicz would not have survived the corporate film business; he would have only made it in the world of indie films. The Hollywood of Mankiewicz' time is gone. To read his account is to visit a particular time in the Hollywood film industry. I recommend this book for any lover of the movies.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but Light and Forgettable, August 28, 2013
This is an interesting book that's easy to read, although some parts do not flow well, probably because they were dictated instead of written. It was a quick read, but truthfully it was so light reading that I forgot what I read 5 pages ago.

It's similar to a gossip column. The stories about various celebrities were fun, but lacked depth. Of particular interest were the stories of Natalie Wood's accidental drowning, Richard Burton's drinking, John Wayne's bravado, and Jackie Gleason's ego. The parts that bored me were details of James Bond movies, Superman, Dragnet, Cleopatra, etc. This is an impressive list that a lot of readers may enjoy, but not me. I felt the same way about the author's love of Africa - interesting, but too much for me.

I gained an insight on how various professions work together to produce a motion picture and television program. The book reviews some of the talents and responsibilities that are required. I now understand what separates a screen writer from an author.

I also enjoyed the author's discussion of the sorry state of motion pictures and television. His example of "The Bachlorette" was apropos.

All in all, the book is entertaining but too light in content (where's the beef). Frankly, I've forgotten 90% of what I read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get this!, May 31, 2013
One of the best books on Hollywood that I have read and I have read many. Get this book. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny!, December 2, 2012
One of the funniest autobiographies I've read. (Sad that Mank is gone but at least we have this terrific book.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Hollywood Stories and Truthtelling, October 23, 2012
Wit is ingrained in the Mankiewicz gene pool - and, having read books about his dad Joseph and Uncle Herman (both Hollywood legends), I figured I would move on to the next generation. I wasn't disappointed in the read; many great anecdotes and blunt assessments of Hollywood stars (Robert Redford, Natalie Wood, etc.), studio heads (Lew Wasserman) and agency vultures (CAA's infamous 80's stranglehold that apparently derailed Tom's career). This book might have earned five stars from me, except, if I'm reading the forward correctly, Mankiewicz passed away before the book was really finished - that means, even though we hear in great detail, for example, about his adventures as a p.a. on a 60's John Wayne western, we learn little to nothing about his involvement as a screenwriter on three James Bond and the first two Christopher Reeve Superman films, probably his most highly-remembered work (which, yes, pales in relation to his uncle's "Citizen Kane" screenplay and his dad's Oscar-winners like "All About Eve" but probably reflects today's movie mentality more than his talent). He seems to also think the two biggest movies he directed, "Dragnet" and "Delirious" were a lot funnier than they actually were, although, again, his overall perspective on Hollywood is very self-deprecating and enjoyable. The last few pages of the book are curious, as they seem repetitive and disorganized, as though the editor had to find a way to tie everything together but was out of material. Anyway, a very breezy and enjoyable read, minus the flaws I mentioned. I wish he would have stuck around a little longer to tell a few more stories...

5.0 out of 5 stars Hollywood royalty gives whirlwind tour, June 11, 2012
TSP (Santa Clarita, CA) - See all my reviews
I'm happy to be the first person to say what a terrific read this book is! I'm almost through w/ it, I'm sorry to say.

Tom Mankiewicz is the son of legendary writer/director Joseph L Mankiewicz (All About Eve, A Letter to Three Wives, Julius Ceasar, Guys and Dolls) just to name a few! Talent runs deep through the family tree. His uncle Frank wrote the screenplay for Citizen Kane, his cousin Ben is the weekend host of TCM, and on it goes. Family lineage aside, Tom's tale is fascinating on it's own merits. He wrote or re-wrote four bond films, Superman 1 and 2, and directed the movie Dragnet w/ Tom Hanks and Dan Ackroyd, and much more.

If you're the least bit interested in what went on behind the scenes during the golden age of Hollywood, I highly recommend this thourouglhy entertainig book. Enjoy the ride as it takes you through classic Hollywood of the 30's and 40's through the 60's and 70's, right up to today.

Sadly, Tom passed away during the writing of this book. But his memory lives on along w/ some great stories for posterity. If you want to have a truly enjoyable reading experience, you owe it to yourself to read this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read from an immense (but modest) talent!, November 17, 2013
I wish I read this book sooner. I was familiar with Mr. Mankiewicz's work from his considerable contribution to the SUPERMAN films, but I never realized he had so much talent and intelligence. This book is a must read for an affectionate and sincere insight into "old" Hollywood as well as the making of Richard Donner's 1978 flick. Other autobiographies of American filmmakers are usually poorly written or sleazy in their "tell-all" style. "Mank" writes with honor and respect for those he encountered while making movies, even those who were less than honorable or ethical. Rest in peace, sir. I thank you for insight and class.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tom's account., October 18, 2013
I personally knew Tom, he was a professor of mine at Chapman University. He was an absolute riot. Every moment he was talking he'd have some story to tell about meeting John Wayne or doing some crazy thing on set. While he wasn't in the brightest spotlight of film-makers in the past decades, Tom taught me a lot about cinema and gave me a few pointers on my scripts when I was a student. If you want to read some insanely crazy stories that Tom experienced, pick up this book.

$39.95 $15.28