Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Storm Fire TV Stick Grocery Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

on June 16, 2013
So there are a lot of joke reviews on here right now, but here's some real talk: I just got back from seeing Equestria Girls and it really is excellent. The MLP cast and crew have created a movie that has every bit as much heart, magic, and quality as the series. The humor is still intelligent, the animation is still gorgeous, the characters are still themselves, and the writing is just as snappy and spirited as you'd expect from Meghan McCarthy. Don't judge Equestria Girls without giving it a chance, you'll be missing out on a gem of a film and a worthy addition to this generation of My Little Pony.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 23, 2013
I felt the movie was good for the target audience of young girls. The only problem was a demon at the end that might scare some of the youngest viewers.

For fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, there are lots of easter eggs, such as Scootaloo doing the chicken dance and Fluttershy's meeting Spike paralleling her original meeting Spike as a pony. (For non-fans, Scootaloo is a young pegasus type pony who was called a chicken by one of her friends.) Others aren't as obvious and can only be seen by watching the background characters. Watch to the end of the credits to find all the easter eggs.

Music for the movie was not of the same sort as in the broadcast series. Dan Ingram, who writes the song for MLP also wrote the songs for the EqG movie. But he wrote the songs in a pop music style that will appeal to children. Don't expect "The Art of the Dress" or "Winter Wrap Up". I didn't find the songs very memorable the first time I heard them, but they weren't objectional.

The biggest weakness in the plot is the speed that the villain changes after she has lost. That isn't uncommon for the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic television series. Where most sitcoms dwell on otherwise admirable characters behaving badly, MLP tends to have characters change when shown that they are wrong. The reasons that the characters change are not necessarily spelled out, which may be why the program resonates with so many older viewers. Viewers associate their own motives with the characters. Those motives can be complex or simple as the viewer choses.

Over all, it was fun and entertaining. The script and soundtracks were both far beyond what is normally found in children's programming, especially programming for little girls. If I could have stayed in the theater for a second showing, I would have done so.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 23, 2013
I tried to find a rating(UNRATED) or review before we went to see this and I was sorely disappointed to find a bunch of bad reviews, but they were all coming from adults. I wanted to know if this would be OK for my children to watch. So here is a review from a MOM.

My girls liked this movie, and I didn't feel bad about taking them. I didn't feel like I had to hide their eyes at any point, or remove them from the theater. Yes they had somewhat skimpy clothes, and Applejack straddling a chair in a skirt was a little over the top(nothing obviously showing), not something I want my girls doing, and that is why I knocked off half a star, but I come from the 80's gen that grew up with Barbie and Jem in short skirts, and Teela and She-ra running around in cheek hugging bathing suits, and I turned out to be a fairly conservative parent. So really it's not that big a deal.

It was a genuinely good for kids kind of movie though, and taught about friendship, dealt with bullying(and standing up to one), and good overcoming bad. Being a parent does require being involved and talking about these things, and I'd say seeing this movie is a good segue into talking about these things to young girls. The 'scary' part wasn't too bad, my 4yo was fine

Short skirts and all(not even too short), I WOULD get this for my young daughters. So if you are on the fence about whether or not to get this for your daughter, I would give this movie a G for great!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 3, 2013
This movie is fantastic. Even if it doesn't have the song Equestria Girls that I same listed on the movie's WIKIPEDIA page. For me Helping Twilight Get Her Crown was my favorite song in the movie. I don't think Sunset Shimmer's demon form is any worst that either Nightmare Moon in the MLP TV series or even the evil Fairy in Disney Sleeping Beauty turning into a dragon. How they deal with Sunset Shimmer remind me very much with how Nightmare Moon was dealt with.

Hasbro did a good job picking the person who wrote some of the best and most popular episodes of the show to do the script of the movie. Its great watching Princess Twilight adjust to being human and the human world in the movie. Meeting Fluttershy for the first time is a revamp of their first meeting in Friendship is Magic season one. The movie has good anti bulling and believing in yourself theme to it without taking away the entertainment that made the series itself so great. I was surprise at Trixie's scene at the vending machine as before seeing the movie I was under the impression she was just in the back ground crowd to look for like many of the other characters. The bits in the crystal empire with Flash Sentry was so good I'm sad he won't be part of series season 4. Since human Big Mac is skin tone like Doug was in Doug series shame they couldn't of stuck 1980s MLP Megan into the human section of this world for those who grew up on original series.

There are some talk from Hasbro about an Equestria Girls spin off which I wouldn't mind as long as we keep Ponyville's Princess Twilight and not replace her with the always been human Twilight of that other world.
on May 23, 2013

on August 1, 2013
After finding out about the humanizing of the characters (and seeing the god-awful prototype images) I was a skeptic about it at best. Like the Twilicorn issue, I avoided most conversations on it to avoid constant hate. This was the company that made MLP enjoyable in the first place, so they can definitely turn crap to gold.

The film came, I saw, I enjoyed. I thoroughly enjoyed. The writing was as good as the show and the animation is still great. The human designs were not that bad. When the only criticism I could think of is "Why is Dash in a skirt and not shorts?" then the designs are doing something right. There will always be arguments about the "skinniness" of the girls affecting how children should view themselves. But they are modeled after ponies, and I don't see any girls walking on all fours snacking on daisies...

The songs were...just okay really. Outside the VERY catchy "Equestria Girls" (aka. Helping Twilight Win the Crown) they were mostly there to provide a montage for things that needed to happen in the story, but would just stretch it out.

There were some nice shout outs to the Brony fandom as well, from popular side characters getting a few lines to characters acting in regard to the fanon (Scoot's chicken dance was just hilarious). I also loved playing Guess Who with the background characters.

The negative things I have to say are rather nitpicks than anything (timeframes, ease of Sunset's control, etc.) so I don't think they belong in a review.

All in all, if you're a MLP fan, give it a watch. If you're not, it's still not a bad watch.
on August 8, 2013
I was one of lucky few bronies that lived near one of the early theater showings, and I loved every bit of this movie. Sure, Hasbro made it to make more money but I'm happy to make this trade for a great product. The visuals are great, the colors are mesmerizing, and the songs are memorable. I've had numerous songs from the movie stuck in my head for weeks. I've been waiting for this blu-ray longer than anything this year.

With all this said, there is a strange audio difference between the blu-ray and the digital copy. The digital copy's audio sounds like the movie is being played through a window, it sounds distant. My only guess is that the file is of lower quality to keep costs down. The blu-ray's audio is perfect, I watched it three times in a row just to make sure. Just to make sure.
on August 6, 2013
"The very idea of this...My Little Pony without the pony...just...DO NOT WANT!"
--Me, the first time I heard about a movie showing the ponies as human.

How wrong I was! Equestria Girls, in spite of turning our favorite ponies into humans, keeps all the humor, all the charm and all the fun of the regular FiM series.

Of course, this was originally made to run in select theatres, so you already know the production values are through the roof compared to the series. The animation is beautiful. They get so many different angles on the characters that the normal series wouldn't even attempt. The musical numbers are spot on (this from someone who usually can't stand musical numbers). Everything has that layer of polish that just makes it heads and shoulders above the normal series! And it's not like the normal series is too shabby either!

I can understand why someone would have reservations about a My Little Pony movie that isn't primarily about ponies. But they are the same characters, just in a new setting. Give it half a chance. If you love FiM, I'd be willing to bet that you'll love this movie too.
on August 15, 2013
I was skeptical about this movie. I went into it knowing what it was: Hasbro attempting to use the popularity of what is possibly its most popular brand to make a line of dolls to compete with other toy companies. That, and the somewhat scary character designs (like on the cover), made me skeptical, but I was also intrigued by the movie trailers on YouTube and positive reviews fellow fans have given, so I had to give it a shot. So I found it on YouTube and watched it.

First, the negatives:
The romantic subplot, while not entirely pointless, went nowhere, and the movie could just have easily done without it.
The ending was a little outlandish in relation to the events that led up to it, and it also felt rushed.
The movie wasn't paced very well.

Now, the positives:
The character designs are much better than the cover led me to believe.
The music is done very well, and is sometimes as memorable as that on the show.
The characters, while human, are still exactly the same as on the show when you get right down to it.
The overall message of friendship is never lost, even with the outlandish ending, and I was genuinely moved when the message came full-circle at the end.

With the knowledge of why this movie was made to begin with, and the fact that it was primarily a movie for the fans, I give it a 7/10. Overall, it was enjoyable, and I believe it stays true to the theme conveyed by the show, of which I am a huge fan (I am a brony). However, it may or may not hit with your personal tastes. My advice would be: if you are a fan of the show and have the chance to watch this movie, do so, and if you like it, support the makers of the movie by buying it. I made sure to watch it on YouTube first, and I enjoyed it, so I pre-ordered the movie (I just got it today).
Also, make sure to watch the entire credits.
on July 15, 2013
My daughter is a big MLP fan and was curious about the Equestria Girls concept. We went to one of the screenings and we both loved it. It was really fun seeing all of the characters translated into humanoids and trying to find all of the parallels to the show. I think that the songs are really fun. And I think that they were pretty clever in the way that they made the parallel universe make sense. We both loved it and went to see a second showing and will be buying the dvd!