Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on November 23, 2008
This game is a rather simple one. My 4 year old completed the game the first time within two hours. However, she continues to play it over and over, asking me to 'erase' so she can start it again from the beginning.

The player walks Pinkie Pie around town. The top screen is a map and the next goal is always marked there so you know what to do next. The town is made up of some of the various buildings in Ponyville, most are directly taken from the toyline and my daughter was excited to be able to go inside Pinkie Pie's balloon house, Starsong's bus and the Sweet Shop. The object of the game is to find all 20 presents and 12 puzzle pieces so Pinkie Pie can have her birthday party. This is done by playing mini games and finding presents "hidden" in various places on the game map. Everything is really small and kept compact. Pinkie is controlled with the D-Pad and most mini games use the stylus. There is a bit of text, but the important things are told in voice as well as text, or easily discovered by walking around so even if your child cannot read yet, with a little help things are easy to figure out.

The mini games are really simple but cute. My daughter especially liked the one where you circle butterflies with your stylus and put the seeds in the ground for flowers to grow (dont let the gophers eat your seeds!)

Another nice addition is having the actual voice actress for Pinkie Pie do her voice (the voice for Pinkie in the current pony movies and toys such as the Sing and Dance Pinkie Pie)and including the "real" My Little Pony theme song. Also after you find all the presents you get to "open" them and each one does something different. A simple memory card game, drums to play with, bubbles to blow, a bag that has a string you can pull and make a rainbow come out,etc.

Recommended for My Little Pony fans around the age of 4-6. An older child will likely get bored more easily since there isn't THAT much to do in Ponyville.
11 comment| 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 10, 2009
My daughter received this game as a gift for her 3rd birthday. I considered returning it because A) I wasn't sure she would understand what to do with it and B) I wasn't sure video games would really benefit her at her age. However, we tried it and she loves it!

As Pinky Pie travels around town, there are two main tasks to complete. 1)Find the presents by tapping them with the stylus and 2)Find the puzzle pieces. On the way she "talks" to other ponies and they give her tasks (puzzles) to complete. She really enjoys racing her scooter (which gets it dirty) and then washing it. After a task is completed, it is added to the list of games that can be played anytime (read: over and over and over again). She also loves opening the presents after she has found them, by rubbing the wrapping off with the stylus. One of the presents is a very simple match game, which she also loves.

She was able to do some of the things on her own, right from the start. Anything involving only the stylus was fun for her. After about a week, she started to move Pinky Pie around using the thumb pad (which I did for her, initially).

At first I thought she wasn't learning anything but that was not true. She is developing dexterity (with the stylus), attention to detail (finding the presents and puzzle pieces), directional control (left, right, up down), memory skills, task order (do this, then this), etc. She is not learning how to read or write, but at her age, the other skills are much better for her to learn.

She loves this game and I don't regret it one little bit! If you have a 3 year old who can already do puzzles on her own, name all her colors and who likes to play "I Spy", then I would recommend this game.

However, I think a 6 year old or a child already familiar with DS games may finish this game quickly and tire of it.
on January 11, 2009
This is a truly cute game if you have a pony fan in your household. The game is rather easy as noted by previous reviewers. Pinkie Pie has to find her presents by talking to the other ponies in Ponyville. My children played it in one night, but they like to erase it and begin again.
My son (yes, my 5 year old son loves it too) likes the mini game where pinkie pie has to water the garden to make it grow, and he likes the one where pinkie pie must plant seeds without letting the critters get them first. This game would probably be too simple and boring to a child over 5 or 6 unless they are like my 8 year old daughter who can't seem to outgrow Ponyville - fun game, fast play, and worth the price.
on January 17, 2009
Bought his for our 5 year old daughter. She enjoys playing on the Ponyville web site, so we felt this would be a good introduction to her new DS. I played it the night before she got it and helped her play. It is a scavenger hunt with side games. The format is similar to the web site, so it was easy to follow. She loves it! The only negative is that not all of the instructions are verbal- she cannot read yet, so it was heavy on the mommy-instructions in the beginning. Once she got the hang of it, though, she was off on her own adventure!
on October 31, 2009
We rented this game from GameFly when my DD was 4.5. She quickly finished the game in 2-3 hours. I had to read some of the text to her the first time, but it's really not necessary. The important information is spoken. She LOVES to replay this game, and is currently 5. She keeps asking about it so I finally broke down and bought her one.

There is one mini-game she just can't play. It took me forever to figure it out. The dancing game requires that you mimic the other dancing pony by remembering the moves til you get to 6 in a row. The directions on this game are horrible, especially compared to the other games which are well done.

Great art and graphics. Good spoken voices. Fits in perfectly with the My Little Pony universe.

On the downside, the music is very catchy and you will find yourself humming it, since it will be ingrained in your brain.
on June 25, 2012
My daughter is nearly 9 but is obsessed with My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Even though that generation of MLP doesn't have a game, she still asked for this one. If you have a young child, I'm sure they would get more wear out of it than my daughter did. In my opinion, it's a waste of money for something she only got 20 to 30 minutes out of. That's how long it took her to get through everything, minigames included.

Again, a good buy for a MUCH younger child but if they're over the age of 7, I'd say stay away.
My granddaughter was very excited to get this game. The levels were fun and she enjoyed it while it lasted. Unfortunately, she completed the entire game in less than an hour. If I had known it was that quick, I would have rented it locally for a couple of bucks instead of spending 20 on it. We were both disappointed.
on March 12, 2012
I bought this for my 5 year old daughter and she loves the game. There is some reading which I help her with, but overall she knows how to play the game and enjoys it.

Amazon.com has it listed at a good price too.
on July 7, 2013
My daughter loves this game, but I am beginning to hate it! The ponies you go around and talk to don't seem to actually speak their clues out loud, it is displayed on the screen for them to be read. My daughter cannot read! So every five seconds she is asking me to read to her what the ponies are saying. Maybe I just don't understand how to work it to make the clues spoken (the volume IS ON) but it is because of this that I dislike the game. My daughter does love it though, and has gotten hours of play out of it already.
on August 24, 2014
My 6yr old loves playing this. She's a Pinkie Pie fan.
She enjoys it.
I have no idea what this game is about.

Buyer Beware -
Grown men can be legally fired for playing this in some states.