Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Holiday Music in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL

on March 21, 2010
I read the other reviews of this product here on Amazon and got these sandboxes for my daughters for Christmas. They are 6 & 3. It's a wonderful, lovely toy for the 6 year old. But for the 3 year's my own personal hell. It's not just that the sand gets on the table. It gets on the floor, on the carpet, down the hall, in the bathroom - somehow it's just everywhere. I am not exaggerating. After a Sunday afternoon spent hauling the kitchen rug outside to spray it off, sweeping and mopping the entire upstairs I'm only fairly certain that I got that blue sand picked up.
If you have a younger child who is kind of still, like the kind who can sit quietly and color fastidiously for awhile, then I'm sure she'll do fine with this sandbox toy. If she's a regular, clumsy but enthusiastic kid this sand will be all over your entire house. The sandbox goes back into it's regular cardboard box when you aren't playing with it, but there's no real secure lid so if the box gets tipped at all it's Sand City.
Please, beware. Think before you buy this toy. It may not be worth all the work it takes to clean up after certain kids.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
We love, love, love, love this product!!!! I found these on Amazon and wasn't sure if I should buy one for her for her third birthday. I am glad I did. She plays with her mermaid sandbox all day. Yes, you may get sand on your kitchen floor... but live a little! It comes with a thematic mat that I put down on the table and then place the box over the mat. She has a blast filling the little bucket with blue sand and hiding the tiny shells in the sand. All the little pieces you need are included! Great for the nd of the winter when you are so ready to go outside but it is still too cold!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
It looks cool, and your kids will enjoy it alot for short spurts (especially at first). Then, it will be a constant debate of whether those short spurts are worth cleaning up the sand. (I did chuckle that someone rated this toy as 2 stars because of having to clean up sand- apparently, a product is defective when it includes sand LIKE IT SAID IT WOULD :)).

I'd suggest it only as a "filler" gift or for a kid who has everything (and too many of them do nowadays don't they?!)...
on June 22, 2010
Admittedly, this is more fun for your Tot than for you. You do not want to have this in your house, but it's perfect to bring to the tot's house who made a giant mess in your house at the last playdate (kidding!!). This is a self contained little sandbox with sand toys and little friends, like mermaids, cats, pirates, dinosaurs, etc. It's like those zen garden sets that were so popular in the 90's. It is surprisingly relaxing! Hopefully this will give your tot some quiet play as well =)

Reviewed bu [...]
on May 28, 2011
My daughter is 6 years old and loves this toy. The miniature mermaid, seashells, turtle, seahorse and other accessories are totally cute. I can see how parents would be irritated by having sand on the floor (the sand is finer than beach sand). To deal with this I got a cardboard box a couple inches wider than the sandbox on all sides and I cut off the top flaps and shortened the box overall so it is about 2 inches taller than the sandbox (it's easiest to use a box cutter, rather than scissors). With the sandbox in this bigger box, most of the sand that goes astray falls in the cardboard box. (well, this is day one, anyway. we'll see how it goes! I sealed the seams of the carboard box with duct tape but may add a plastic liner to make it easier to retrieve spilled sand and put it back in the sandbox.) I think this will keep my daughter for long periods. It's a keeper!
on August 6, 2009
I bought the construction version for my 3-yr.-old son, but he loves playing with his sister's mermaid box too. We only allow these in the garage, the yard, or the laundry room. Cleaning up is easy, I just sweep and vacuum the laundry room. It's worth the time they spend on it.
on October 25, 2014
I bought this sandbox for my 2 year old girl, and she loved it! She can be a bit messy with the sand though, but that was easily fixed by setting the sandbox outside. Also, I searched and the company sells refills for the sand, so that's a plus.
on October 3, 2015
This sandbox is so cute! I bought this for my 4 and 2 year old daughters, and they love it. My one daughter is an extremely active and intense person and sometimes she gets so intense it's hard to teach her how to calm herself down and pay attention to what she's doing. This activity is very sensory in nature and teaches her how to focus and slow down. I believe they call kids like this "spirited". She can get into more trouble than she needs to if she gets too excited, so having an activity like this to slow her down is helpful. Instead of always making time out a punishment, playing with this serves as a timeout to calm her down. I like that it helps her learn how to slow herself down. My girls can sit for an hour or two every day playing with this and not get bored. I also like that they can take little toys they have at home and use them in their sandbox if they choose. It creates an atmosphere for a lot of imaginative play. The one thing I changed is that I added kinetic sand and threw away the sand that came with the set. The kinetic sand is a lot less messy and is a lot easier to clean up. It doesn't just stick to the floor and spread across your house so that you find sand in every corner of every room. Kinetic sand reminds me of play-doh because it sticks together but it doesn't stick to the carpet or floor. It kind of stays in one place and is easy to vacuum. The kids like the kinetic sand better because it sticks together and they can create things out of it.
on August 17, 2010
This is a really fun little sandbox. I found them on sale at an upscale store, and had been eyeing them for over a year but wouldn't spend the money. I bought three, kept two and gave one as a gift. Well, no wonder it's on sale! Like one other reviewer pointed out... It is a huge mess! My three and 3/4 year old loves it and plays with it as do her friends who come over. But.... there was blue sand everywhere after a week or so. We put it in the box once and it got turned over and the sand spills out. And I kept it on the patio on a table, under the little plastic mat. But, somehow it all ended up on the floor, in her ride on toys, in the house, etc. I ended up throwing out all of the blue sand and just kept the box with the toys and will fill it next summer with white sand only. It's really a wonderful product if you have an older, calm child or your three year old plays with it outside on a table, on a patio, and you do not mind the mess, etc. But, do not bring this into the house, beware!
on September 5, 2015
Mermaid's Cove includes all the items you need to build your own table top themed sensory play area. While the set comes with a 20" x 20" play mat, I recommend taking a plastic tablecloth or even news paper and covering the table. You can also add other some small rubber or plastic animals you would find in the ocean.

As one dad was so quick to point out, if a younger child is playing with the item, the sand does get on the floor, but isn't that all the fun of learning? For younger children this is a toy where they will need to be carefully supervised with.

Normally, my daughter mostly just like to scoop and pour with sensory materials such as water and sand, but with the My Little Sandbox Mermaid’s Cove she actually used the miniature items to act out scenes. This sensory set took a very short time to put together and yet kept my daughter entertained for over 35 minutes- until mommy said it was time to clean up.

See 1 answered question