4.0 out of 5 stars Love it
Alexandra Ivy's books never dissapoint and this new release lives up to what one expects from Alexander Ivy. the story is set in the years gone by where ladies that werent married where maidens and gentlemen were gentlemen,one wasnt seen in the company of a man without a chaparone.
Published 20 months ago by Filomena

2.0 out of 5 stars Review: My Lord Immortality - 2.5 Stars, C
My Rating: 2.5 stars: Finished it - take it or leave it (C)
Originally posted at THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT

Published 19 months ago by Jen Twimom

2.0 out of 5 stars Review: My Lord Immortality - 2.5 Stars, C, January 12, 2013
My Rating: 2.5 stars: Finished it - take it or leave it (C)
Originally posted at THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT

Our story begins with a prologue outlining the history of vampires in the world - and that the greatest vampire, Nefri, created a veil to hide their race from humans. This put an end to bloodlust and created a docile, intellectual vampire race. However, there are some that do not agree with Nefri's rule and have entered the human world to recover the Medallion which gives Nefri her power. The primary antagonist, Drake, is one such vampire, and he hunts down Amelia, keeper of one-third of the Medallion.

My Lord Immortality is set in roughly Regency England, and has a definite historical feel. Amelia and her mentally/emotionally handicapped brother, William, live mostly on their own after their parents decided they'd rather not have anything to do with William. Unfortunately, women are being brutally murdered near their home, and William appears to be at the center of the investigation due to his childlike ways and misunderstood manner. This is where our hero, Sebastian St.Ives, comes in as Amelia's protector. He was sent from the veil by Nefri to protect Amelia and her piece of the Medallion.

Before getting further in my review, I feel it necessary to note that it wasn't until after I started reading My Lord Immortality, that I discovered 1) the book is a reissue, 2) it is the third story in a trilogy and 3) this trilogy is the precursor to a much larger, fuller series by Ms. Ivy. Knowing this, and having read this story, I would not recommend anyone pick up this book on its own merits. Although I had no trouble following along, and the plot could be read as a stand alone, I never felt any real attachment to the characters or the overall story. I feel that I would have probably enjoyed this more if I'd started the series with the first book.

The mythology created by Ms. Ivy is interesting. I like the idea that vampires have denied themselves pleasure for so long - it creates almost virginal hero-types. Sebastian is a gentleman, but also has cravings and needs once he meets Amelia. He is conflicted over his duties and his desires. This makes for good romance character-building.

However, I felt that Amelia was portrayed overly naive and as a stereotypically faint-hearted female. Although I admire that she bucked society to care for William, she seemed to undo her own courageousness over and over. Here is a perfect example, directly from Amelia's point-of-view, "But despite the frantic urge to help, she was bound by a paralyzing fear." And even as Sebastian and Amelia confess their feelings for each other, Amelia comes across too childlike.

In addition, the portrayal of William was too simplistic. He is eighteen, and although clearly mentally and/or emotionally handicapped, he is able to only speak in single and two word phrases. This alone seemed over-the-top. However, he also cannot follow directions,which of course leads to many problems.

Overall, I was not overly impressed with My Lord Immortality. It's not the author's ability to tell a compelling story, but rather that this story felt dated and simplistic. As the third book in a prequel trilogy, I feel it should not be read as an individual title.

Also, there are holes in the story. First, William was framed for murder, and the book never addresses how or even if his name is cleared. I felt this was a huge problem, and due to this, I dropped my rating from 3 to 2.5 stars. Second, I felt that the story neglected to adequately demonstrate the romance between Amelia and Sebastian. Although they profess their love to each other, I feel that the reader is more told than shown the pair falling in love. Finally, unless I missed it, we are never told how Amelia will live forever... the fact that she is human and he is a vampire isn't addressed to a satisfying manner.

With that all said, My Lord Immortality is easy to read, and the premise and mythology behind the tale is strong. As I stated earlier, I think I would have enjoyed this more if I'd started with the first book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it, December 30, 2012
Filomena (South Africa & Angola) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Lord Immortality (Immortal Rogues) (Kindle Edition)
reading this book i so wished that i would run into a vampire and shared the love that these 2 characters share!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad.., January 4, 2013
This review is from: My Lord Immortality (Immortal Rogues) (Kindle Edition)
Amelia Hadwell has no time for London's nightlife. Not when her beloved brother's odd ways have their family threatening to institutionalize him. And not when she is questioning her own sanity after being confronted by a murderous shadow creature--then being saved by a captivating stranger, a man who belongs to a world she cannot imagine.

Reserved and scholarly, Sebastian St. Ives has been content without human desires--until they are reawakened by the delicate, brave Amelia, whom he is meant to protect. For the young woman has no idea she possesses the key to a ravenous vampire's dark victory. Now Sebastian must shield her from both a killer and his own growing attraction--or bond with her completely, and forever. . .

I received a e-copy of this book from netgalley for my honest review. This book for me was just ok. I have read other books by Alexadra Ivy and enjoyed them. By no means was this a bad book it just lacked the action that I expected at points. It would seem like it was building up and then would fall kind of flat. I would however say it was a good story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, January 7, 2013
julie a. ellis (aloha, or United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Lord Immortality (Immortal Rogues) (Kindle Edition)
I did take me a while to warm up to this trilogy, Imortal Rouges, but that is due to the fact I have been reading a lot of books set in current or futuristic times. These books are a re-release from a few years ago & set in Old England. Once I was able to get my head into the past I thought it was very well written & entertaining. This final book was every bit as good as the previous two books, My Lord Vampire & My Lord Eternity. Each of the 3 vampire characters were different from each other & so were the women they fell in love with. Was nice to read that each one had their own story & only brought the other characters into the story when needed.
Great read :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad at all!, January 12, 2013
This review is from: My Lord Immortality (Immortal Rogues) (Kindle Edition)
My Lord Immortality is the third in the Immortal Rogues series and is a reprint with the author's real name on the new cover. This is a Paranormal/Historical Romance that is actually pretty clean and only slightly violent. This series seems to be a prequel to Ms. Ivy's Guardians of Eternity series.

Now anyone who knows me knows that I am not a huge fan of Historical Romance but as soon as I saw this book was being re-released I just had to snatch it up! I had already purchased the first two and this gave me the perfect opportunity to read them all together.

Amelia is a strong female and her love and compassion for her brother is a wonderful aspect of her complete character. Sebastian is intriguing and I don't feel that we had enough of a chance to really get to know him. I also wish we could have seen the couples from the previous books a little bit more in this one.

I did enjoy the plot and how the ending came about. The books are not very long but are very enjoyable to read! They are an interesting addition to one of my favorite series.

4.0 out of 5 stars entertaining vampire romance, January 15, 2013
Over two centuries ago, Nefri the most powerful vampire, used the magic of a Medallion to create the Veil that separates the world of mankind from the realm of the undead. Recently Nefri fears an undetermined threat that could destroy both planes. Knowing the Medallion is the avenue for the evil ones, she breaks it into three parts before hiding them amidst three young mortal ladies unaware of what they possess. However, Nefri also realizes three avaricious vampires plan to take the objects; so with the support of the Great Council, she sends trustworthy vamps to protect them.

Sebastian St. Ives protects amulet recipient Amelia Hadwell from Drake Ramone who will do anything to achieve his hedonistic objective of taking what he wants when he wants from the humans. Drake knows the way to Amelia's piece of the amulet is through her family. She accepts her kind loving brother William is different but their parents want to lock him up so society never sees his gentle craziness. Two males from the other side with polar opposite objectives vie for her attention.

This reprint of the third Immortal Rogues vampire romance is an entertaining thriller starring a strong human female, a bewildered arrogant vampire, a vile villain, and a gentle-souled sibling. Fast-paced William brings freshness to the triangle that otherwise reads somewhat similar to the predecessors (see My Lord Vampire and My Lord Eternity).

Harriet Klausner

4.0 out of 5 stars Ok, January 9, 2013
This review is from: My Lord Immortality (Immortal Rogues) (Kindle Edition)
Just a little slow at times. Characters had a good base line. Really liked the strength of the heroin, very strong.

3.0 out of 5 stars Unmemorable, May 11, 2013
This is the third in the Immortal Rogues vampire series although it isn't necessary to have read the other two books. In fact, it would perhaps be an advantage not to have read them as the two I have read now are very samey.

The queen of the vampires, Nefri, has divided up an important relic into three amulets, each of which has been given to a mortal woman to protect - and of course these women have their vampire guardians to look after them (and fall in love with them).

What I have been unable to understand, plot-wise, is that after the first amulet was safely protected, what good are the next two if they will, together, not make the full Medallion? The author never mentions this but I wasn't particularly worried about Amelia Hadwell, guardian of the third amulet, as (even if this weren't fiction where goodies win) her one-third of the Medallion wouldn't do our baddie much good.

Perhaps the author thought a bit about this as we actually meet a new, badder baddie in this book and there's even another medallion to liven things up. And they needed livening up as this was a very pedestrian book. Our hero, Sebastian St Ives, is a bookworm vampire who prefers studying philosophy in his library than being vampiric. Amelia is a nice young woman, looking after her brother who has learning difficulties, and being rather dazzled by the first handsome man (or vampire) who has really paid her attention. There's not much more to the plot than that and I found a distinct lack of characterisation in the story.

At the end everything is nicely wrapped up and we meet the heroes/heroines of the other books but it all felt a bit rushed, vague, short - the print was pretty large, perhaps to stretch it out to a 300 page book. It's not something I will bother to read again and I suspect I will have forgotten the story within a few days.

Originally published for Curled Up With A Good Book © Helen Hancox 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars Disapointed!, March 6, 2013
This review is from: My Lord Immortality (Immortal Rogues) (Kindle Edition)
So after reading Ms Ivy's Immortal series, I felt this whole trilogy fell short of giving the hero/heroine any backbone. In all of these the hero is kinda blah and kinda childish in there unlikely belief in their "brother" vampires. The bad vampires kill over and over and the supposed hero just is like, " No I wont kill you with my magical dagger, I will give you chance after chance to "reform". DUH!!!" So that is the reason for the low rating. People want to see the hero as saving the day not waiting for the bad guy to change his mind about being bad. Hopefully the next book Levet in the Guardians series will more than make up for this irritating and disappointing trilogy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just a story, January 8, 2013
This review is from: My Lord Immortality (Immortal Rogues) (Kindle Edition)
Disappointed in this book, usually Ivy gives a juicy story that you can't put down. This one was "just a story". I did read all of it as I had paid for it. Definitely what I would call "light reading".

My Lord Immortality (Immortal Rogues)
$5.38