5.0 out of 5 stars The wonder is right here!
Published on June 9, 2003 by Det. Abilene

3.0 out of 5 stars I love BAbs
Not my favorite album. She has others that are much better, but this is her earlier stuff and you can really hear the beginning of her voice in these songs
Published 20 months ago by M. Tiemeyer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The wonder is right here!, June 9, 2003
This review is from: My Name Is Barbra (Audio CD)
A soundtrack of sorts to the Emmy Award-winning television special of the same name, the Grammy Award-winning MY NAME IS BARBRA became another Gold-selling smash for the then-unstoppable phenomenon known as Barbra Streisand. This album hit #2 on Billboard's Hot 200 and it contains all of the new songs featured in the show, as well as some new recordings to replace the songs that had already appeared on her pervious records. A semi-concept record; the first portion is devoted to songs about the child in all of us ("I'm Five," "Sweet Zoo"), next some songs about the transition from child to adult ("Jenny Rebecca," "Where Is The Wonder"), and finally, songs from an adult perspective ("I Can See It," "Why Did I Choose You?"). Throughout the course of this cycle, Barbra gives beautiful renditions of "My Pa" (which is the song "My Love" from The Yearling with different lyrics), as well as the definitive versions of "Someone To Watch Over Me" and "My Man." A fantastic complement to a spectacular show.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Barbra becomes a child again, June 20, 2001
Alexander M. Zamora (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Name Is Barbra (Audio CD)
Here is the reason why Barbra Streisand is a great singer and compleat artist of the first magnitude. Streisand shows off her understanding of singing and acting at the same time. Singing funny childish songs like 'A Kid Again/I'm Five' or dramtic tributes to parenthood like 'My Pa', Streisand captivates the listener with her vocal characterization of her childish ideals. At the same time, Streisand shows off brilliant singing of great classics like 'Where Is The Wonder', 'I Can See It (from the Fantasticks)' and a great treatment of the Gershwin song, Someone To Watch Over Me. She tells the world that she is the greatest star that they have ever seen in this early CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars CLASSY, CLASSIC, September 17, 2000
R. Penola (NYC, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Name Is Barbra (Audio CD)
Displaying that ingenuity for finding insanely perfect material for her exploding talent, Barbra nails down this album but good. Full of surprising material that sounds instantly classic in her rangy, pure, strident soprano, this album stands the test of time. Jenny Rebecca is pure joy; My Pa and Kid Again are exuberant and moving girl-growing-up songs; I Can See It, the classic Fantasticks song, here sounds like it is trumpeting Streisand's career with unbridled enthusiasm. For a visual interpretation of this material, check out the TV special by the same name -- you will be blown away by the creativity and sheer bravura skill of this young powerhouse.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Overlooked Classic in the Streisand Catalog...."Why Did I Choose You", April 13, 2006
Peter (East of Los Angeles) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Name Is Barbra (Audio CD)
Barbra's 1965 TV show of the same name made waves by scoring multiple Emmys that year, including one for Babs. The TV special was still filmed in B&W, but was revolutionary in its concept and approach. A newcomer to television, Barbra instantly made a name for herself in front of millions of tube watchers.

This album has sometimes been overshadowed by the TV special, which may seem odd, considering most of the songs were sung on the show. Barbra reenters the recording studio and really waxes one classic after another. By this time, she was starting to shed some of her kooky image from the early Sixties, though she still retained her individual and unique appeal to her ever-growing legions of fans.

One look at some of the selections will tell you that Babs was branching out for mainstream acceptance, most noticeably in her first recording of a Gershwin tune "Someone To Watch Over Me". This tune had been done to death by hundreds of singers, everyone from Sinatra to Ella to Johnny Mathis, but Streisand's version really sticks out. Her vocal range really stretches the limits of this song and makes it heard in a new light that the likes of Sinatra and Ella Fitzgerald had bypassed.

But the one true standout of this overlooked album is the torch song "Why Did I Choose You". Even my male friends who hear this song (and these are not "wussies" either) often ask, "Who sang that song?" Then when I tell them who it is, the first word they say is "Wow". Listening to this song today after hundreds of listens still brings a lump to my throat. This song and "He Touched Me" from the follow-up "My Name Is Barbra 2" are both bookend "Streisand Classics".

Just a pure voice soaring and gliding, singing about the virtues of her man and "Why she chose him". Unlike today, the Streisand of the Sixties did not hype up the sentiment factor in her interpretations, but here she brings just enough pathos and emotion to hit a homerun. Dare I say the hardest of hearts will not be moved when they hear this song ?

5.0 out of 5 stars Sky-rocket Ascent In The 60's, July 27, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: My Name Is Barbra (Audio CD)
I must have first heard this one in my cradle, and still love it after 35 years! Barbra is THE female vocalist of the 20th century! Her recordings of the 60's are the most exciting. Her sky-rocketing ascent to superstardom came simultaneous with NASA's efforts to reach the moon! This album brings back my earliest memories, and the clarity of Barbra's voice never ceases to amaze me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sky-rocket Ascent In The 60's, July 27, 1999
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Croston-Boise, Id., July 10, 2014
This review is from: My Name Is Barbra (Audio CD)
I have done a great deal of singing in my life and am now retired from the art. It seems amazing to me that this is my go to voice in 90% of the time rather than the opera and opera singers I am so familiar with. Her ability to hold long sustained notes, connect with the words so amazingly and thrill so many must please her greatly. I am so glad she passed through this world while I was here to discover and enjoy her abundant talent.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Her Best, April 27, 2014
This review is from: My Name Is Barbra (Audio CD)
I believe this is one of Barbra best albums. I had it on vinyl years ago and I'm glad to have it again on CD. I love her early stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific, March 16, 2014
This review is from: My Name Is Barbra (MP3 Music)
Rich and crafted so welcome....love her early stuff. I used a couple of cuts to work with the story of Peter Pan. Perfect!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought this for my sister and myself, January 7, 2014
This review is from: My Name Is Barbra (Audio CD)
Somehow we were both reminiscing about this album lately. This is from when we were both about 5 yr old. It brings back so many memories. I think this is the first album we remember listening to.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

My Name Is Barbra
My Name Is Barbra by Barbra Streisand (Audio CD - 2008)
Rate and Discover Movies