5.0 out of 5 stars It just gets into your head!
Published on October 21, 2010 by Perry

3.0 out of 5 stars Started slow... lost me... and then I got it.
Like other reviewers, I started out reading this as if it were an autobiography. I quickly realized it was fiction, but it wasn't any less meaningful once I figured that out. It was a short story, and there were parts that I wished had been given more attention. The beginning wasn't one of those parts. I could have skipped the beginning altogether.

Let's face...
Published 22 months ago by Jennifer S

5.0 out of 5 stars It just gets into your head!, October 21, 2010
This review is from: My Name Is Joe (Paperback)
Have you ever read a book or seen a movie that left you questioning life? I know that many of us travel through life with many questions on our mind: What is the point? Am I doing what the right thing? Is there a way for me to be more successful? To name but a few of the questions I am sure flutter through all our brains. After reading "My Name is Joe" I have come to realization that I have been asking the wrong questions. For each of us that question may be different. For me; the question is why is happiness so elusive? "My Name is Joe" puts you on the path. It may only hint at answers but, it definitely asks the hard questions. I have never read a fiction book like this! And neither will you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Expect to grow alongside the characters, both of you wil find something by the end of the story, October 30, 2011
This review is from: My Name Is Joe (Paperback)
A wonderful book about one man's search for redemption and recognition before he dies. He finds solace and a family when he meets a women and her son.

Stefan Bourque does a great job touching all our emotional buttons. It's very sad but also inspirational and sweet. The pace is slow and meandering, but in a good way, imitating a man's contemplation of what his own death would mean. The characters are realistic and powerful. They each have their weaknesses but try their best to overcome them.

As I've said before, the pace is pretty slow. Bourque spends a lot of time weaving his story together with metaphors and symbolism. Depending on how you like your books, you might have to wait until halfway through the story before you're really hooked. Don't expect all that much action. Bourque focused more of his effort in building his characters and their relationships to each other.

Pro: Believable and strong characters, powerful character relationships, intricate and beautiful descriptions, touching ending

Con: Slow beginning(it depends on the reader whether this is a pro or con), very little action

This is a great book for readers of all ages. Though I should warn you, if you are a younger reader, that there is one or two nude scenes but, uh, nothing naughty happens. Anyway, anyone looking for a deep meaningful introspective read should definitely give this book a shot. The story can only end in one way but you can't help but feel happy for what has been achieved.

Won this book in a giveaway in exchange for a review

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, October 13, 2010
This review is from: My Name Is Joe (Paperback)
I wasn't sure what to expect when I purchased my copy of My Name Is Joe and to be honest I was a little afraid of it. I don't normally read stories within this genre and especially ones about terminal cancer as I lost my father to the disease when I was a child. Having been a fan of Stefan's other books however, I had to give it a try and I'm VERY glad I did. My Name Is Joe reads as if it had come from someone who'd actually lived through the tragedy which Joe sadly found himself mired in. The emotion which runs through the story is very real - from Joe's anger at his situation to his sadness at missed opportunities. My Name Is Joe is a huge step - one giant leap - in a very different direction for its author and Stefan managed it superbly, flawlessly.
As the book came to a close I found myself sad that it was ending, both for Joe's sake and my own, but still, as I closed the book for the last time I couldn't help but smile. My Name Is Eryk, and I just made a new friend whose name is Joe.

Eryk - Screaming Bugs Reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Started slow... lost me... and then I got it., November 13, 2012
This review is from: My Name Is Joe (Kindle Edition)

Let's face it, the beginning was slow. There were times when it was even tedious. It was all existential and didn't truly seem real or meaningful at all, except in the abstract. The narrator just kind of lost me a lot of times when he was isolated and desolate after the initial diagnosis. Don't get me wrong, there were some interesting moments. The interaction between the narrator and his surgeon just after his surgery was the first time when this story finally hooked me. There was a moment of grace there. But from the beginning of the story until just before and after surgery, it all kind of felt flat. Even after the narrator returns home, there is something like a void of realness. Like the author was just going through the motions of setting up the character for when things actually start to be real and come into focus. The times when the narrator was just ruminating and philosophizing without any interaction with others were often tedious. Maybe that's the point of the story? Interactions, no matter how awkward or unexpected, make our experiences real and meaningful... whereas just having an internal dialogue, no matter how well intended, or how meaningful it is to the narrator, is just... lacking something. Then again, maybe that just leaves the door open for something more meaningful.

After surgery, and finding himself very much alone, at home, and just waiting for death to come, the narrator decides to host a carnival for all the kids (and families) he hoped were in his neighborhood, but whom he had never paid any attention to before. He just took for granted that they were there. And suddenly, he decided to engage with them. That was the beginning of the REALLY interesting part of the story. As he is coming to terms with his own mortality, he meets someone who is also trying to come to terms with mortality, but from the perspective of already having lost someone, or having let someone go. Together, they find that they can both embrace life and the process of dying and letting go in a way that they had never expected, but that is healing for both of them. From there, reading to the end was an emotionally rewarding journey. This is a story of redemption and embracing life and connection. Even if each voice in the story started out all alone, they finally find a connection, and the story ends in a remarkable sense of peace in the conscious act of letting go.

5.0 out of 5 stars My name is Linda, June 19, 2012
This review is from: My Name Is Joe (Kindle Edition)
This book is amazing.. I could see myself in Joe. Although I am not lonely like him, I had been diagnosed last year with breast cancer. I have been treated and am now in the waiting stages. Waiting to see if it stays away or comes back. I have been in a kind of limbo. Not working.. on disability and not really living. This book really woke me up and made me realize that death is as close as one breath away. It also gives hope however. This book is a tear jerker!

4.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly Moving, May 9, 2012
Kindle Customer (Shoreline, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Name Is Joe (Kindle Edition)
An incredibly moving story about a man told he was about to die and the power of human kindness. Stefan Bourque wrote a beautiful, heartwarming story. It was a wonderful read - in the first part of the book, you just read Joe's thoughts as he faces his dying alone - you really understand what it was like for a person facing a terminal diagnosis. Then he gives himself a going away party and in the process found a wonderfully caring individual that truly helped Joe through his final days, but she also got some redemption in return. You can never really plan your life because there is another force that is guiding you where you really need to go - one of my favorite quotes from the book is ""so I guess it was time to stop making plans, to cease my force of will upon the Universe and instead let it guide me."

I really enjoyed this book , and I would recommend this book to everyone. It is a short book so it won't take you too long!

5.0 out of 5 stars A story I wish hadn't ended quite so soon., March 4, 2013
This review is from: My Name Is Joe (Kindle Edition)
A simple story, a complex situation, that was all written together as a story to wrench your heart. And it did.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting book, February 28, 2013
This review is from: My Name Is Joe (Kindle Edition)
This was a quick read and while sad, was very sympathetic and human. I really enjoyed this story of simple love.

4.0 out of 5 stars Glad I Read It, February 22, 2013
This review is from: My Name Is Joe (Paperback)
I often choose books to read at random from my kindle--I have over 800, many of them downloaded for free. So many books, so little time--I'd never be able to get through all of them, so sometimes, if I can't decide, literally, I will close my eyes and just click on one at random. "My Name is Joe" was one such choice. I'm pretty sure I got this book for free on my kindle a long time ago because normally, a story like this would not be my thing based on the product description.

But I read it from start to finish and am so glad I did! I thought Bourque did a wonderful job humanizing Joe and the other characters, too. Yes, it's true, as some reviews have said, "not much happens". Books can be successful for a number of reasons--sometimes the plot is amazing, but language sophistication can be lacking. The opposite is true for this book--not a lot of action, but I felt like the emotions the author was able to evoke through language was enough to carry the book. It is a little intense, though. I had to break it up and read it in several sittings!

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting relationship arrangement, February 2, 2013
This review is from: My Name Is Joe (Kindle Edition)
i really enjoyed this book. i found the agreed upon relationship very different but it certainly seemed to work for both of them. Joe had an exceptional understanding of the need for private time. i especially enjoyed their manner and use of big wealth. both used it to do a lot of good

My Name Is Joe