Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 123 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on September 11, 2011
Let me start out by saying I LOVE My Neighbor Totoro! That being said, I HATE this version of it!! I'm sure this is great for those who've never seen the older(original?) version, but for those of us who have, I'm sure I speak for most when I say "What the hell?". No offense to the Fanning sisters, but I prefer the original actors voices better. Also, the dialog is not completely the same. This is by far my daughter's favorite Miyazaki film, but we wish we would have known this wasn't the original BEFORE we wasted our money. Do yourself a favor and try to get the old version, it's much better!
1515 comments| 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 26, 2015
This review is not for the movie itself, which is, like all Miyazaki movies I've seen, beautifully done with wonderfully believable characters and excellent stories with morals that never pit characters in a "good vs evil" dichotomy, and the BEST and most adorably accurate portrayal of sisters I have ever ever ever seen in my life, this review is specifically for the hideous english dubbing done by Disney. I love love LOVE My Neighbor Totoro but he use of very well known actors for so many of the voices takes away from the realism of the characters (much like The Office chose not well known actors for the characters giving it a less "acty" feel). DIsney americanized the dub so much that it makes me feel like I went to an aquarium and looked through a peephole to see anything. Having grown up with the (probably not perfectly Japanese, but much closer) 20th century dub- which when they asked to make cuts and change what the characters said Miyazaki apparently sent back a Katana that said "No Cuts"- this Disney dub was a huge disappointment. Taking out so much of the Japanese culture really left big holes in the story. Understandably, some of those holes cannot be filled without knowing the culture itself (such as the statues Mei is near when she gets lost, and the crab she draws for her mother) but other important qualities like the interaction of the children with the grandmother and the spirits, seemed lost; it felt much more like a cartoon than a genuine story.

I just spent 80$ on a used version of the old dub and I'm not even upset about the money if it means I get the depth that is so deeply missed.
on December 26, 2002
I agree with the reviewer below. I was holding out on purchasing this film on VHS, wanting it on DVD instead. I was excited when Amazon.com alerted me to this release. I expected it to be the same as the marvelous 2DVD, Region 2 release with full-screen presentation, bi-lingual audio and subtitles and an extra DVD full of special features. I was extremely disappointed in receiving this full-screen, pan-and-scan version with only an English audio voice track! No special features! The folks who released this should be ashamed. Miyazaki deserves better...
on October 25, 2002
If you are a fan of Totoro (and what right thinking individual isn't!) then you may want to leave this DVD release on the shelf come December 3...In Japan, Totoro was graced with a spectacular DVD release featuing multiple dialog and subtitled options, as well as featurettes, artwork, and options for both full screen and letterbox versions...i the meantime, I would recommend this version ONLY to friends with small children who have not seen the film before. The print quality of the VHS version was quite good and the dubbing job is excellent, considering the shabby treatment that most Japanese animated films recieve. This is, first and foremost, a film of remarkable beauty and warmth. It is precious and timeless. By all means take advantage of the low price and share it with children. But for your own collection, you will most certainly want to wait for the (cross your fingers and send those letters now) Disney Edition.
1616 comments| 266 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 7, 2007
I'm afraid I could never recommend the Disney release of this film.

After seeing an earlier release before the girls' parts were rendered by the Fanning sisters, my wife and I found _their_ rendering VERY disappointing.

I'm afraid we both believe the characters were not at all captured well and the Fannings' rendering simply ruined Totoro for us.

Fortunately, although I had already given away an earlier copy, I was able to find another through Amazon's third party offerings.

If you can obtain the older version: DO SO!!!
77 comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 13, 2002
I am extremely disappointed that there is not even a Japanese language soundtrack. Totoro is a beautiful movie, but I wanted the DVD so that I could have the Japanese language version with subtitles.
on January 1, 2014
Ok I LOVE this movie. It has been a favorite of mine for close to 20 years. The problem with this blu-ray set is the Fanning sisters. All of the charm of the sisters in the movie is lost on the voices that just don't match. I mean Mae is like two or three years old. Having a mature kid's voice come out of her mouth is like, "What the what??" Even my six-year-old who also loves the original and has it on vhs asked me if this was a different movie. We both lost interest while watching.

So the one star is ONLY because Disney ruined this movie. If you can find the original English over Japanese dub, get it and enjoy this sweet movie.
on February 26, 2015
Once again, they ruined the original voice track with some new, "updated" one, ostensibly thinking that this was a good idea? I love the quality of the print, but I can't bear to watch this thing, so I'm back the the '90's DVD release which is far superior.
on January 3, 2003
Don't buy this
2.0 stereo
no caption
no Japanese sound
on December 25, 2002
Where is the Japanese? I have not been so dissapointed in a long time. It is absolutely disgusting that with all of the versatility of the DVD format Fox films would not include a Japanese track on this film. The movie was already in Japanese! There is no good reason whatsoever that they would remove the Japanese track. I am amazed and shocked. I advance ordered it because the whole point of DVD's is that the problem of not being able to find a copy of a foreign movie in the original language was supposed to have been solved years ago. I never would have possibly guessed that they would go to all of the trouble to remaster the movie for DVD and then step back into the stone age like this. This movie absolutely should have included both an English and a Japanese track. This is one of my favorite movies. I have been looking forward to this release for a long time. I am astonished. I am near to tears. Do not order this edition of this movie, please. Send Fox Films a message. Just order something else please.
88 comments| 82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse