Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation

Format: Paperback|Change

on January 13, 2014
Dr. Taylor's description of what happens when one has a stroke was fascinating. Equally fascinating was her road to recovery and how hard she had to work to get there. Her insights gained through this experience could not have been given (probably) by anyone else but her. I am so glad I read this book. What a powerful help to the scientific community!
on September 22, 2013
As a brain injury survivor, I found this book to be a moving account of what it takes to recover your life after a traumatic injury. Through the eyes of a neuroscientist, told with an incredible amount of neuroscience background, this book is one of a kind. It offers a technical side to her entire recovery, explaining every step along the way. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in science, philosophy, or personal narratives and memoirs.
on February 24, 2013
I know my title for this review is over the top, but this book resonated with my experiences in meditation and science which, together, have led me to see that life is not about "me". (And, in case you're wondering, I think it's also not about "you".) Ms. Taylor had a chance to get off the rat race treadmill through an accident of brain damage and just be, with no ego. I found that inspiring.

I was ecstatic to read the story, and hope everyone finds some insight for themselves from Taylor's sharing of the story in such a reasoned and clear way.
on April 29, 2013
This book describes a woman's courage and remarkable understanding of her neurological and emotional makeup. Also, very helpful are recommendations for the relatives and friends of stroke victims. She describes how these people can help the stroke victims in their recoveries. To me, the book also gives an explanation for the reasons behind near death experiences, explaining them in a psychological and physical framework, not a mystical one.
on February 19, 2014
this book should be read by every person that cares for stroke and other brain injured people. the personal perspective helps to emphasize the need for patience with these individuals and reassures the reader that there is recovery after injury. The brain is an amazing organ and can adapt, given time and proper encouragement.
on August 28, 2012
Jill Bolte Taylor tells her story from such a personal point of view that she helped me understand some of my own journeys with right brain and left brain. Though, I am 70 years old and in good brain health, I now better understand what to do when I forget a word or forget what my next step is. Basically, after reading Jill's book I simply have more patience and take more time to remember. Works nicely and helps me slow my left brain fast and judgemental pacing. Her story is completely enticing and informative. Watching her watch herself and experiencing her determination took me to another level of life's glorious journeys.
on July 28, 2008
As a pastor, I felt particularly drawn to this book after hearing an author interview on the radio. Everyone seems to know someone who has experienced having a stroke and ministering and caring for them is sometimes puzzling to all. This book gave some wonderful "insights" about the actual experience from inside when a stroke is occuring as well as helpful suggestions for those that come into contact with them - whether it be family or medical situations. Members of my congregation appreciated the suggestions presented in the book; several also intend to read it.
on August 12, 2014
For anyone with a loved one going through a stroke, this is a really great book. What's more, I actually emailed Jill Bolte Taylor about the situation I was going through, and she returned the email within 24 hours with some advice and inspiring words.
on July 11, 2014
It was insightful and very revealing. It also helps in reviewing how best to approach and move forward in minimizing the impact of a stroke on an individual and all of this is done in a humorous and funny way. Very good as well as entertaining.
on April 17, 2013
This book offers many insights, into the state of mind that a person experiences during a stroke, what is really helpful for people recovering from strokes, and her "stroke of insight" that it is possible to change how we think about our lives.