5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a true Mexican dessert book
Published on September 18, 2010 by Madelyn Pryor

3.0 out of 5 stars Great desserts, but there are editing problems
Published on August 10, 2012 by Gina G

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a true Mexican dessert book, September 18, 2010
This review is from: My Sweet Mexico: Recipes for Authentic Pastries, Breads, Candies, Beverages, and Frozen Treats (Hardcover)
Tres Leches cake. Sweet tamales. Flan. Pan. Milk Fudge. Those familiar with the sweet flavors of Mexico will have the their mouths watering with the litany of delicious temptations. Until now, most of us have had to go to our local Hispanic markets to taste these treats, but no longer. Now, Fany Gerson will teach you how to create these dishes and many more in the comfort of your own kitchen.

Ms. Gerson does for dessert what Bayless did for main dishes, she brings the authentic food to the American audience and she does so in an approachable, comforting way. For those that need baking and candy making refreshers, they are provided, along with amazing, beautiful pictures so you know how yours should look at the end. Each recipe has its name in Mexican and English and cultural tidbits. Those just make the book even more enjoyable.

There are nine chapters. In English, they are:
* Fruit
* Desserts
* Frozen Treats
* Modern Mexico

I am a chef and I grew up in south Phoenix. Never before have I seen a cookbook such as this (and I own over 400 cookbooks, now). This is a visual, mental treat and when you take the effort to make these classic, authentic sweets, it is a treat for mouth and soul, too.

Highest possible recommendations. Seriously, buy this now!

5.0 out of 5 stars How do you say YUM in Spanish?, December 13, 2010
My love affair with Mexican food arrived one day in 1952 when my mother received a "care package" from friends in the Southwest stuffed full of "Mexican" food. I suspect I've never had a worse tamale, but those canned tamales sparked a life-long pursuit of the the "best" in tacos and tamales and salsas by the dozens. And of course, I've been collecting Mexican cookbooks ever since - a fairly substantial chunk of the ethnic section of my collection (over 400 but I've lost count!).

You don't have to spend much time in Mexico or have many Mexican friends to realize that sweets are a huge part of Mexican culture - and you don't have to visit many "Mexican" restaurants here in the US or read through many Mexican cookbooks to realize that there simply must be more than fried ice cream, churros, and a couple of cookie recipes. With My Sweet Mexico: Recipes for Authentic Pastries, Breads, Candies, Beverages, and Frozen Treats, Fany Gerson fills a huge void, both on my library shelves and in my kitchen. My only problem? What to make first. . . . . tamales? or maybe that sweet potato candy? Milk fudge? Something frozen? HMMMMM . . .

Beautiful book, highly recommended. This is a book you will treasure for a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real, Authentic Mexican Desserts- long overdue, September 27, 2010
We finally have a recipe book that is really Mexican and not an imitation. Not only is it great to have these recipes available, but also, it is interesting to know the story behind the ingredients and the desserts. We love this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable Churros!, January 25, 2011
Tanya Estes (Weston, FL United States) - See all my reviews
Beautiful photos & the churro recipe alone makes this book worth every penny. Can't wait to try the tres leches.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great desserts, but there are editing problems, August 10, 2012
I've made several recipes from this cookbook so far, and they have all been delicious! It's a shame this book suffered from poor editing (this review sums it up quite well: [...]), otherwise it would have been a 5-star cookbook. The book is lacking in specific instruction on different techniques. The recipes I've attempted have turned out well because I'm an experienced baker and know what I'm doing--this is not a book for a beginner.

5.0 out of 5 stars An authentically delicious overview of Mexican desserts, July 3, 2011
Mexico's dulces (sweets) are a blend of indigenous ingredients melded with European traditions, and in "My Sweet Mexico," Mexican native Fany Gerson brings these sweet indulgences to vivid life. A Culinary Institute of America alumna and the granddaughter of Russian-Jewish immigrants, Fany is no stranger to the melding of two worlds. Some of the oldest recipes here are ancient drinks like atole (ground corn; the word "atole" comes from atl, water, and tlaoli, ground corn). Others stem from Spain's Arabic heritage, like mazapan, alfajor de miel, and orange blossom water (even the Spanish word, azahar, comes from Arabic).

The included illustrations and photos bring the varied facets of modern Mexico to life: as you first open the cookbook, the endpapers recreate azulejos (glazed tiles) and a colonial wooden door that gives way to photos of antique candy shops, exotic tropical fruits like soursops and mameys, gorgeous food photos and local artisans hard at work. The book starts with an in-depth primer on ingredients and tools. A note: many of the more exotic fruits that Fany uses, like tecojote, mamey, or zapote negro, may be difficult to find. Because they are ingredient-specific recipes, there are no substitutions for these recipes. But they are few in number, and the other ingredients should be readily available in your area.

For those new to Mexican desserts, I would recommend starting with one of the simpler recipes like jamoncillo de leche (milk fudge). The milk fudge has few ingredients and is made in one pot; I made it with the suggested variation of evaporated goat's milk, and it's like a firmer version of cajeta (dulce de leche). Be prepared for much stirring and waiting; it takes about 30-40 minutes for the mixture to reach the right consistency. There are also several suggested flavor variations like coffee (I used 2 tsp. reconstituted instant espresso in place of coffee extract), lime, etc. to mix it up a bit. This is one that would be great for gifting around the holidays.

The importance of corn in the Mexican diet can't be overlooked, and corn gets its own chapter, with such entries as pemoles (coffee-flavored corn cookies), sweet fried masa cakes, and fruit tamales. In other chapters, there are unexpected gems like bean candy, which reminded me of the sugared beans I would snack on in central Japan, or the amaranth "Happiness" candy, a heavenly combination of nuts, dried fruits, honey, and puffed amaranth seeds. Candied fruits are another staple; I love Mexican candied pumpkin, and Fany demystifies the process, suggesting several variations like candied prickly pears, tamarind pods, papaya and chayote. The coconut-stuffed limes glisten like emeralds, hiding an unexpected (but fitting) filling.

The chapter on "pan dulce" (sweet breads) is near and dear to my heart; I live in a city surrounded by Mexican bakeries, and I love to browse the cases stacked with ever-changing assortments of brightly-colored pastries. I particularly liked Fany's recipe for huachibolas (cream cheese morning rolls); the yeast dough hides a surprise filling of cream cheese (I tried the recipe using Neufchatel cream cheese). Fany also chronicles old-fashioned sweets like candied nuts and caramels, some with pronounced tropical flavors, like gaznates (fritters filled with mezcal meringue) or lime meringues. There's even a chapter on frozen desserts (Mexican ice pops and ice creams), with some truly surprising (and refreshing) flavor combos on display, including avocado, corn, and cheese ice creams, spicy mango ice pops, and rose petal sherbert. (Fany just published her second cookbook, Paletas: Authentic Recipes for Mexican Ice Pops, Shaved Ice & Aguas Frescas, if you are looking for a more in-depth guide to Mexican frozen desserts.)

Finally, the book closes with "Mexico Moderno" (Modern Mexico), ten recipes that Fany created to pay homage to "the new Mexico," one that blends imported influences with traditional flavors. Recipes include a decadent chocolate-rum tres leches cake, cheesecake with spiced quince, upside-down plantain cake, and mango bread pudding with tamarind sauce.

"My Sweet Mexico" pays homage to Mexico's cultural and geographical diversity, and Fany is an engaging tour guide. Each recipe includes informative tips, recipe origins, or notes about a specific artisanal shop that brings the recipes to life. The recipes themselves are clearly printed and easy to follow (if time-consuming); like all recipes, you may find that you need to adjust cooking times based on your cookware, oven temp, etc. They're written in such a way that they're not intimidating, making Mexican sweets accessible even for novice bakers. It's a gem of a cookbook that deserves to be in your kitchen.

(Review copy generously provided by Ten Speed Press)

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a masterpiece, December 20, 2010
Not only is this book filled with delicious recipes, but it also has a lot of fascinating cultural/historical text that is a pleasure to read. I sat down and read the thing cover to cover the first day I got it ... I don't normally do that with cookbooks! Some of the ingredients are a bit obscure, but that's to be expected because Mexico is a unique place, so of course it's going to produce some unique fruits and herbs. And the photography is superb, making it double as a nice coffee table book. If you like baking and you're up for something a little different, I'd definitely recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book with authentic Mexican candy recipes., March 6, 2011
This book is excellent, it contains recipes for real Mexican candies. Some of them are now dificult to find. This is a great source for making Mexican candies.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best!!, November 15, 2010
This book totally impressed me! I can't say enough good things about it. I love the writing style and the way the recipes are presented. The pictures are beautiful and clear. And the recipes...oh! It's like finding a treasure trove of your childhood favorites! I have so many recipe books, yet this one really stands out as being the best.

I know I will treasure this book. It's a keeper!

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE LOVE THE BOOK ...., December 5, 2010
I LOVE LOVE THE BOOK .. IT HAS SO MANY SWEET WONDERFUL THINGS .. THE ONLY THING IS THAT MORE PICTURES WOULD HAVE BEEN FANTASTIC TO HAVE SOME IDEA WHAT THE FOOD LOOK'S LIKE ...

$30.00 $19.89