Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: My Teenage Werewolf: A Mother, a Daughter, a Journey Through the Thicket of Adolescence
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on August 5, 2010
You will appreciate the candor with which the author shares her experiences and insecurities, both as a mother and a daughter, and the light touch she has in including research material within the story of her daughter's last years of junior high school. With twin daughters on the cusp of pre-teenagerhood, this seemed like a must-read, and it didn't disappoint. I laughed, cried, cringed, learned a lot, and closed the book wanting more.
on August 5, 2010
After following the journey of Lauren Kessler and Lizzie, how I wished that my mother had read this wonderful book when I was in middle school and had then passed it on to me to use as a guide when my own daughter and I began to navigate the perils of this period. Kessler's focus on what united her with Lizzie rather than on what separated the two them and her focus on empowering Lizzie rather than on controlling her provides parents with a primer that will assist them in learning how to connect with a daughter as she enters her teenage years.
on August 8, 2010
A rich read and wild ride through that mother-daughter thicket with Lizzie and her mom. Hard to know at times who's driving whom more crazy, and with good reason. Kessler turns her meticulous, inquiring mind to her daughter's daily life and motivations, but doesn't spare herself the same vigorous inquisition. As Kessler notes in a reflective moment, one of the toughest things about having a daughter is "parsing out what are her issues and what are actually our own." That's life and the story Kessler tells so well. Comedy, drama and high adventure for moms and daughters of any age--and for the men who love them.
on August 5, 2010
I do not have a daughter, but felt like I needed to call my mother and apologize for everything I put her through twenty years ago. The author details her efforts to understand and combat the fleeting and ever changing emotions of her teenage daughter. The book is enlightening, sad, funny and hard to put down. I will recommend this book to all of my friends with children or complicated relationships with their mothers. Everyone!
on November 30, 2010
This book is so honest and insightful! It covers every topic I worry about with my pre-teen daughter! It is funny, charming and heartwarming! It is great to know I am not alone! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and it was also thought provoking. Great book!!!
on October 5, 2010
Worried that she was losing touch with her teen daughter, author Lauren Kessler did what few moms would be willing to do: immerse herself in middle school classrooms, locker rooms and cafeterias, taking notes all the while to turn into a nonfiction book. The result, My Teenage Werewolf: A Mother, A Daughter, A Journey Through the Thicket of Adolescence, is a revealing work that will both concern and give hope to moms everywhere.

My Teenage Werewolf's universal appeal comes not only from Kessler's personal experience, but also from research and information offered up by experts regarding the world teen girls currently inhabit.

Kessler also reveals her own flaws and insecurities, and she doesn't elevate herself as the perfect mother who is trying to understand an imperfect daughter. Instead, through Kessler's experience with her daughter and from the details she reveals of her strained relationship with her own mother, we see a sincere struggle to understand the complicated mother-daughter dynamic.

Kessler's honesty, her wit, her insights, and her straightforward writing style combine to create a fascinating study of parenting today's female adolescent. I highly recommend it for any mother who has raised a teenage daughter, is raising one now, or knows that one is part of her future.
on August 5, 2010
When I first picked up this book, I thought to myself: wow, what a bold way to ruin your relationship with your kid. But then I read it. Not only did I totally fall in love with Lizzie and Lauren, who are both smart, human, flawed, loving, brave people, but I learned some very basic (and surprisingly difficult) things about being a better person, a better family member: Be brave, be honest, respect each other, look your flaws and questions in the face. That's big stuff, and not limited to mother-daughter relationships. AND, never once did it feel cloying or preachy. This book is wise and funny and impressive, both in its skillful execution and its emotional depth. Brava!
on August 5, 2010
I don't have a daughter, but I learned so much from this book: why the students I teach act the way they do, why my friends who are moms of teenage girls are so happy to come to work on some days, why it was ok that I didn't talk to my mother for most of my thirteenth year (slight exaggeration). Kessler's book about motherhood, daughterhood, and what binds the two together (and tears the two apart) is a terrific read and an engaging take on a subject that half the population has experienced at one time or another. At times I was laughing out loud, at other times I was welling up with tears: what else can you ask of a book?
on November 17, 2010
Lauren's voice is strong as she details her trials and tribulations with her daughter. She gamely and bravely goes behind 'enemy lines' whilst shadowing her daughter at school.

I was grateful for her helpful discussions on the adolescent's frame of mind during her research.

Parenting a teen is no easy feat...however, Lauren's book injects just enough tools and humor to keep the reader engaged and eager to learn about the next chapter of the `werewolf' that so many of us are raising and parenting.
on September 5, 2012
My friend and I both have 13-year-olds, hers a girl and mine a boy. She recommended this book to me and I found it to be very relevant to what I am going through as a mom of a teenage boy. Although the dynamics are different male vs. female, we still as parents want to preserve the bond with our child as they go through adolescence, which was Lauren Kessler's main goal. I loved their relationship and my son seemed to notice my attitude towards him was a little friendlier and more understanding after reading this book. LOVE LOVE Lizzie!!