Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon August 27, 2002
Montgomery Gentry scores yet again with this awesome third album. "My Town" is what the boys are all about, and what YOU should be about--great country music.
You've all heard the title track, but check out the cool piano intro. "Scarecrow" has bluegrass edge--it's not, though, just to let you know--with some smooth mandolin playing. "Bad For Good" combines both of the guys on vocals--as do a couple other songs--and could quite possibly be the new Montgomery Gentry anthem. "Speed" is a mournful tune written by Nashville great Jeffrey Steele, about needing something fast to get over a broken heart. "Hell Yeah"--refered to in the review title, in case you missed the similarity--asks us what music means in our lives, whether it's Johnny Cash or Bruce Springsteen. "Free Fall" deals with the depression after a break-up, and "Lie Before You Leave" is a man's plea to his soon-to-be ex. "For The Money", probably the best track on the album--in my opinion--combines an important message--live life to be alive, not to make money--with some excellent harmonies.
Both Eddie Montgomery and Troy (T-Roy) Gentry are great singers, and they deliver their country style raw and un-abashedly. They make no appologies for their music, because they are country, and that is what they sing. "My Town" expresses this feeling--if the title track of their last album, "Carry On", did not--and you get what you want with this album. Montgomery Gentry rides again. Hop aboard.
on September 20, 2002
In the third installment, T-Roy and Eddie belt out another album in the Rock and Roll and Blues and Country style of Charlie Daniels.
You fans out there probably recall "While the World Goes Down the Drain" and "Carryin' On" as two great songs that will never make it to air. Well, this album has them too. I'd be seriously (and pleasantly) surprised to hear "Bad for Good" or "Hell Yeah" on my local country station. Perhaps not as shocked as I'd be to hear "While the World Goes Down the Drain," but still surprised.
But that's something to like about the pair. They sing songs they like, and they don't worry about whether the DJs approve of the lyrics. It's refreshingly cajun styled in a world of vanilla flavored pop.
My Town is a solid album. It paces itself well, alternating between foot-stompin' lung-busters to the ballady I-been-there-too hurtin' songs for which country music is famous. This harkens back to the days of Daniels and Skynrd, when the "skip track" button was still years away, and the whole album had to be good.
I'll be watching these guys closely. They give every impression of taking up the torch of the country-rock fusion (We all love Charlie Daniels, and he still gives a heck of a show, but he won't be around forever)
on December 23, 2003
I am not a hard core Country fan, but M&G really grabbed my attention with this one! From the ballads to the serious a**-kickin tunes on this, it brought me back to the days of my 'southern rock' period. I think that M&G - as well as others (Toby K, Brooks and Dunn) - are reviving that sound, and adding a lot to it as well (NOT another Free Bird!).
What I really like about this CD is the blending of sound, harmony, and the awesome vocals - Eddie can be real smooth, yet real bourbon-swillin' gutsy when the song calls for it (Speed, Bad for Good, Lonesome). The same goes for Troy, where he really can wail as good as any 'rock singer' (Hell Yeah) and really come through emotionally (Lie before you leave, Scarecrow). Love the musical nods to the Allmans on 'Good Clean Fun' - they have a great band to back them up and pull it off with style.
I have all of their CD's, and look forward to the next. Some reviews suggest they may be going more 'pop', so I guess we have to keep an eye on that. This CD - like their previous - has the trademark 'radio friendly' stuff, but as long as these outlaws stick to their guns, lots more great music is on the horizon!
on June 20, 2014
I've been interested and entertained by the sound that this duo produces, but simply fell in love and identified with "My Town". Consequently, I bought the CD for that song. I was pleasantly surprised by that wonderfully entertaining piano introduction to the title song, as well as, "For the Money:, "Hell Yeah", "Speed", and "Scarecrow." Highly recommended!
on March 21, 2004
Montgomery Gentry does it again. This album is definitely worth the purchase. With songs Like Speed, Hell Yeah, and My Town, Montgomery Gentry stays with their roots, and also adds a sound that is sure to attract more fans. This album is probably their best to date, and one I wouldn't be without, look for more great things to come from these 2.
on May 1, 2003
This album is excellent. I caught the video for speed on cmt and I've been hooked ever since. I don't know what kind of music the reviewer who rated this poor listens to but this album rocks. This is the first country cd I have bought in years. You wont be sorry with this one.
on August 7, 2005
The words of Eddie Montgomery in the title track bring up images that seem to stay with the albums tracks of americana life from running away from a bad love in "speed", to getting down at the bar dive even though your life isn't what you expected in "hell yeah".

This Cd also suffers a little from the slump (as described by the amazon reviewer as the "bar band" feel) MG has toward the end of their cd's usually, but was a well thought out cd compared to "carrying on"..But still slumps away from being a totally good albumn because of it.

The remake of the Allman Brothers "good Clean Fun" off their 1990 album "seven turns" is a notable remake of the song but doesn't have the griityness of the original as done by Gregg Allman and co and so is more of a notable tribute to them than a owning of it.

So that's why I give it 4 stars, great albumn but still not a cd full of material to write home about.
on July 24, 2005
Montgomery Gentry rocks! This is a terrific album. I love "My Town" , "Break my heart again", "Hell yeah", this is great country music. This duo just keeps getting better with each album. I have always enjoyed their music from the start. I think even if you're not a big fan of country music you will still really enjoy this album. They are country with a rock flare. Or you could consider them to be southern rock. But I like to classify them in the Country genre. Regardless of classification the album is great. It's worth picking up a copy to add to your collection. It'll be one of those cd's you find left in your cd player for weeks on end.
on August 29, 2002
If your a Montgomery Gentry fan you will not be disappointed this time as they have put together a CD that has a wide range of country songs. True to their past two CDs, they offer a great range of a blues and also rock-country feel. The heavy, honest words in songs such as "Hell Yeah", "Lonesome" and "Why Do I Feel Like Running" were the style of songs that I was looking for in this latest release. Hard fighting, rough yet smooth, Montgomery Gentry is at it again and fans won't be unhappy with this new CD!
on April 5, 2003
Here we have Country-rock with Southern-rock roots, and we have songs filled with the messages of family values to everything else's rugged individualism and women (whom rugged individuals can neither live with nor without). Talk about well written, well played, and well sung - this is rowdy!!! "Good clean Fun" and it could pass for Lynyrd Skynyrd.