5.0 out of 5 stars Great book. Fantastic young man!
Published on April 26, 2012 by In 2 Design

2.0 out of 5 stars My Two Moms
My Two Moms was written by a young man about his upbringing by two moms. I enjoyed the first few chapters, but it soon became monotonous and dull. It was an important subject, so I wanted to like it, but the writing was sophomoric and repetitive. It reminded me of many sophomore and freshmen papers I read as a high school English teacher - showing a true attempt to lay...
Published 23 months ago by Sue Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book. Fantastic young man!, April 26, 2012
In 2 Design "scottisnice" (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
Zach Wahls, thank you for bravely standing up to tell your story, to not remaining silent. Like Rosa Parks refusing to move to the back of the bus, your courage to stand before the Iowa Legislature, and now the world, and say this is not right, that all people are equal and should be treated as such, is heartwarming and inspiring. Here's to the day when we don't need heroes like you. Until then, thank you. I will pass on the message of love, integrity, loyalty, courage,... that you share in your book to others, just as your moms passed them on to you. Congratulations!

5.0 out of 5 stars AN INSPIRATIONAL STORY OF FAMILY AND LOVE, April 26, 2012
MY TWO MOMS by Zach Wahls is an amazing book told by a brave young man who was raised by two mothers. What a lucky boy! To be loved by both parents who taught him about love, family values, honor and courage.

The foundation of this book is about marriage equality. I totally agree with it. If a child can be raised by two moms or two dads and be taught values of family, love and respect, then who are we as a society to judge them? At only 20 years old, Zach stood in front of the Iowa Legislature and articulately summarized his belief in same sex marriage.

These two women obvious love each other and have put their children first. I salute Mr. Wahls for speaking out and telling his story by way of this book and making public appearances.

Thank you for sharing your story and Blessings to you and your family. A must read. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing Story!, April 27, 2012
I love this book. Zach's famous speech was powerful and intelligent, and the book is too with an intimate look into his life, the values his moms taught him, and his ideas about equality. He is frank and inspirational, and delivers a strong rebuttal to every argument the opposition usually delivers. Congrats Zach! You are indeed an amazing person!

5.0 out of 5 stars "That's what makes a family"..., May 1, 2012
You know, it really is a shame that sixth-generation Iowan Zack Wahls felt he had to write his book, "My Two Moms: Lessons of Love, Strength, and What Makes a Family". The son of a gay mother, born, along with his younger sister, as the product of a sperm donation, Zack was raised by - horrors - two lesbians! OMG - what WILL the children think!

Zack gained fame in early 2011 when he testified in front of an Iowa House of Representatives public forum. For three minutes this young man talked with stunning articularity about growing up with with gay parents. The resulting video has bounced around the Internet, and added another dimension to the debate about gay marriage - or "marriage equality".

I was not going to read this book. I bought it - as I do many political books - because I wanted to support the author monetarily and I was going to donate it straight-away to the local library. But when it arrived yesterday and I sat down and leafed through it, I realised that I could learn something about a subject that I was already in agreement with. Zack talks about his upbringing that his parents - and they ARE his parents - gave him and teamed it with the many good ideals he learned as an Eagle Scout. Faithfulness, cleanliness, politeness, etc, are only some of the life virtues drummed into this young man and his sister. They seem to have "caught on", because Zack - and I assume sister Zebby - are remarkable young people.

Let's talk to the specific case of good parenting here, because, that, in the end, is what Zack Wahls is a product of. I've often said, "We're not raising children, we're raising adults", because adulthood is the ultimate goal of every parent's long, weary slog. We try to install in our children the good values that will take them through life as responsible adults. And, ya know what? Gay parents can do this just as well as straight parents. So can divorced parents - if they can work together as many of us are able to do. Single mothers and single fathers can do it, too. Zack Wahls and his sister are proof of this.

Zack's book's a quick read but it is worth reading to see the family behind the video. I had no idea that Terry, his birth Mom, is a doctor and Jackie, his other Mom, is a nurse. Zack writes about Terry's diagnosis of MS and how his family, as a whole, has dealt with it through the years.

I assume that most people who buy and read this book are supporters of "marriage equality". But the book goes a little deeper than that and looks at a "family".

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book For Everyone! Thank you Zach!, April 29, 2012
Thank you Zach for sharing your family story with everyone so that bit by bit fear and prejudice may be replaced with love and acceptance. It is only by getting to know same sex couples and their families that fear of the unknown can be overcome. You have shared intimate family stories that everyone can relate to and understand whether they be gay or straight. Your book made me laugh, and it made me cry. Most of all it made me proud to be living during this time of change towards acceptance of all families, no matter how they be configured. You are right Zach, it is the love that binds that makes a family. Your family is an inspiring example of love and being well connected. I highly recommend this book to EVERYONE!

5.0 out of 5 stars A View From First-Hand Experience, May 1, 2012
This young man writes eloquently and beautifully -- from his first-hand experiences of being raised by two moms. The reviewer who gives this book one star (S. Hill) has obviously not read the book, and makes it very clear she has an issue with gays raising kids. She defends her view, by claiming that being raised by two people of the same sex is a decision made for the benefit of the adults, not the child; she ignores the fact that divorced (and therefore single) parents is also a condition caused by a decision of adults to benefit the adults. She never once addresses anything Mr. Wahl writes about, with the exception of accusing him of claiming he has no dad; one of the most ignorant claims about this book, which alone proves she has not read it. Please, do not pay attention to the one negative review, and give this book a chance. It preaches/teaches humanity and understanding -- again, the one thing missing from that one negative review. For a 20-year-old to be so compassionate and understanding of the travails of life, alone, proves his upbringing was not endangered by the fact he had two moms. These two women have to be so proud of their son that they could burst. Kudos to two women who raised an incredibly compassionate young man; kudos to a young man who learned to be so exceptionally well-spoken and intelligent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Same Sex Child Raising, May 2, 2012
Warning this book contains a same sex couple who feels like it's their right to be able to raise a child.

While that may seem like a dumb statement I feel like it should be said again. If same sex couples raising children isn't something you believe in, and you don't want to open your mind then pass on this book. For the rest of you out there this was a touching a sweet story of Zach Wahls and his two mothers.

Wahls was on the Daily show, which originally got me interested in reading his book. He seemed extremely confidant, successful and more importantly happy; which is what any parent strives (or should strive) for their child to be. This is not his first time speaking on the issue of gay parenting, last year he added a new voice to the issue, one of the child in question being raised. He was so verbally eloquent that a book was a logical next step.

The book focuses on the different ideals he learned as an Eagle Scout, and how they are/were applied to his childhood and family. It was an interesting way to discuss gay parenting, by using the ideals of the traditional `American Ideal', a boy scout. I think it also proves that in America there are many ways to describe family, and not every family who is `different' is broken.

The book is easily read and contains many lessons as well as wisdom in dealing with adversity. While this book may not appeal to everyone, I feel like each person should pick up this or a similar story to really get the perspective from the people that gay parenting actually affects... the child/ren in question.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Inspirational Perspective, May 2, 2012
Chris R. A. Berry "Pelican" (San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua) - See all my reviews
Other five star reviews have said most of the important things about this excellent read. Zach's amazing video Utube sensation had me from the start and I was grateful for the background story. I've shared the video with all of my classes here in Spain where social perspectives are a bit different. All agree on the power of his commentary and his apparent strength of character.

Zach's chosen book format is great and speaks to who he is. I recommend this book to everyone curious about the possibility of non-traditional families promoting traditional values.

I have to say that the Kindle Version is very, very difficult to read. There are contrast issues with the special sections in each chapter. If this can be fixed, it will help future readers.

Zach Wahls is a brave man on a mission. I wish him luck,

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming and Moving, May 3, 2012
It's a little hard for me to separate out how moved I am by Zach's charm and courage generally from the book itself. His voice comes through clearly (notwithstanding whatever contributions were made by his coauthor), and I experience the same young man I've seen in his testimony and appearance on The Daily Show. That young man is a living embodiment of the truth that same-gender parents are every bit as good (maybe better!) as mixed-gender parents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to Put Down, May 2, 2012
I absolutely love this book. At the end of the day I've learned a lot and gained a new perspective on a topic I had already made up my mind on. At the end of the day Wahls has shown that the sexual orientation of your parents shouldn't define you, but how they raised you. Having good parents, or a good parent, is all that matters.