My iPad for Kids
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$16.62+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on September 27, 2012
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My review headline isn't meant to be a joke. The book title indicates this a book for kids on how to use the iPad. The problem is, it doesn't look like any book I've seen that's intended to be read by kids. True, the text addresses the reader as if they're kids - "Ask your parents . . . " That sort of thing. But the book layout and design is identical to what a book to be read by adults would look like.

As other reviewers have stated, the book seems to be more for adults who have kids. Which makes the text annoying because then all the "Ask your parents . . ." sentences become a waste of space and time.

The publisher needed to cut one way or the other. Either make this book REALLY for kids or make the book for adults on how to set up their iPads for kids. Seems like they cut down the middle and it's a mediocre resource as a result.

Skimming through this I was able to find out a few useful tidbits. Another major problem with this book, however, is that it's actually focused on 4th through 7th graders. That age range doesn't apply to my situation and it won't to many parents. So in the end I didn't really find a lot here to help me get better apps for the kids. If your child is in 3rd grade or below you might have a similar experience.

If your child is in 4th through 7th grades then perhaps check this one out. Be aware, however, that books like this age badly. By mid 2013 this one will need to be updated due to changes in the iOS and all the new titles that undoubtedly will be released. Such is the case with all books like this.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon September 25, 2012
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I had the chance to review this book, and let me tell you it looks great! The book is broken down walking you through every facet of the iPad and it's interface, everything from what the buttons do to each icon on the screen in the various parts of the application. The pages are full color, they pop and make it easy to follow and understand. This book isn't really for kids, it's for adults so you can teach your kid how to use the iPad. My only issue with this book is it clearly states its for iOS 5 for the 3rd generation iPad, just the other day iOS 6 came out which is for the latest devices, including the iPad 3.

While a lot of the stuff between iOS 5 and iOS 6 is the same, there are some noticeable features. This book at the right price is a good deal. But understand when you buy it you are one version behind so some of the items in the book may no longer be accurate.
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The iPad is a wonderful tool for upper elementary students and this book gives many educational uses for the iPad. Unfortunately, the pre-teen group is so supremely happy just to look at videos that this book is probably less useful to them: it spends so much time on steps to naming a document that most pre-teens have long since lost interest.

This is a reference book and it does an elementary age appropriate job of explaining all of the steps to doing things, even answering email, breaking all of the steps down to their smallest part and putting pictures next to the directions (for those of use who can't read directions). I would bet that most 4th graders know these things, certainly higher grades would.

I like that this book breaks down different apps for different grade levels.

I felt like it spent an inordinate amount of time on how to buy things and apps that are for sale rather than the rich world of very cheap and free educational apps. It seemed like My iPad for Kids sends children to many commercial sites to download purchased apps and books, they also mention Gutenberg (last). They do intermingle free and a variety of priced apps. It does seem inappropriate to put prices on them but that should probably be taken with a grain of salt as app prices fluctuate so rapidly.

The most supreme flaw in this book is that it should be an ebook. There are so many links to sites that it becomes ridiculous to type them in and check them.

As an educator, I'm not sure how I feel about the explosion of very small children and even infants becoming hooked to iPads. It really reminds me of a variety of dystopian novels, none of which I will debate here.

For all of these reasons, I found this book deeply flawed.

--Gertrude of the Amazon
VINE VOICEon February 22, 2013
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
After checking out a few reviews, it became quite apparent I'm not the only one left somewhat disappointed by this book.

First and foremost, the book never makes a target audience differentiation. It's written as if a kid is doing the reading, but structured in such a way that only an adult would truly go cover-to-cover. While nearly every page has a vibrant illustration or picture, it's still basically an outline within each chapter of how to do a specific, albeit over-arching, task. Think of the first nine chapters as an adult's guide to the iPad's setup and usage. iPad for Dummies repackaged with a different cover.

After the nearly 200-page intro, the book starts off chapter ten with "Using Your iPad in Fourth Grade." Huh? What about kids younger than that? Maybe the book should have been titled "My iPad for Kids (in Fourth Grade through Seventh Grade)". That would alleviate buyer's remorse for those misled by the book's title like me. I honestly thought the book would have a ton of useful tools, apps, websites, etc. useful for a wide age-range of children. Instead, it's focused on a four-year period. A little narrowly defined in my opinion.

Generally speaking, however, this book has a ton of useful information. For the uninitiated, the first nine chapters thoroughly discuss the iPad's varying uses and features. Maybe a little bland for the target audience, especially considering the advanced manner in which this generation's children access technology. Nonetheless, the details and descriptions are ample. Even a techie like me picked up a few tidbits here and there (mostly about sites/apps, not about usage).

As for the apps listed in the subsequent chapters, I found them to be topical, useful, and interesting. And while the OS will undoubtedly change by the time my daughter makes it to 4th grade, the concepts probably will not. I intend to use this book as a teaching building-block.
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Oftentimes is difficult to know where to begin when we have to try to teach children how to learn about any electronic device, especially when we don't know how to approach it ourselves. One such device it the iPad. Yes, we know what we want, what is appropriate for our needs, and how to access them, but what about our children? Where to begin teaching a child and showing them how to access information that will benefit them can be problematic. A willy nilly approach can be useless and, in some cases, detrimental.

One can find information after a search, a search that can sometimes take up a lot of Google time, time that can be wasted on those useless sites that seem to float to the top with ease. I know when I sometimes search for information I oftentimes end up with some annoying jewelry site when I'm searching for something archaeological or historical. Frankly, I feel ripped off in more ways than one. No, I don't want a gem that will cure me of an illness, but in this book, "My iPad for Kids," I knew I'd found a gem when I selected it.

At first glace I knew the book was a winner when I saw the chapter outline, an outline that spanned a wide age group and a variety of essential topics. For example, the beginning chapter starts right at the beginning with information that will tell you how to turn the machine on and off. How simple is that? Yes, simple, but critical. The book starts and the beginning and the process is progressive, ending up with the more advance processes such as backing up by syncing. This step-by-step book, in my estimation, is not just for kids. If you are tentative about purchasing an iPad and don't have that intuitive touch or experience, this book might be for you as well.

The table of contents and the index are exceedingly well organized and comprehensive, much more than many instructional books I've seen of this type. This is something I definitely appreciate, especially if I'm searching for a topic. I'm going to give the basic outline of the table of contents below. One additional benefit of this book is the fact that with the purchase of this book you have access to 45 free days to the online edition with the simple addition of a code that can be found in the back of the book.

Chapter 1 Please Touch: How the iPad Works
Chapter 2 Getting Started: Set Up and Sync Your iPad
Chapter 3 It's All Yours! Customizing Your iPad
Chapter 4 Surf's Up! Using the Internet
Chapter 5 Talk to Me: Texting, Chatting, and Email
Chapter 6 Get Ready for Your Close Up! It's FaceTime!
Chapter 7 Using Your iPad for School
Chapter 16 It's Play Time: Gaming on the iPad
Chapter 17 Fixing Problems Yourself
Chapter 18 Taking Care of Your iPad
Index

This book is an excellent tutorial for the individual, homeschool, or classroom use. For the younger child or student, this book provides an easy way for the parent, teacher, or caretaker to provide assistance. In addition to the instructional materials, there are sidebars and visuals that will be of great help. For example, when you have to set up and sync your iPad a sidebar provides step-by-step written instructions accompanied by visuals. This fifteen step process can be quite daunting if you don't know what you are doing

Other issues that are discussed include things like using a keyboard, "but you can't just use any keyboard with your iPad." For example, if you want to use the popular Logitech Tablet Keyboard and Stand Combo for iPad,you'll have step-by-step instructions as to how to connect a Bluetooth keyboard to your iPad. I've reviewed hundreds of children's books and credit must be given to them ... they are more hightech than we give them credit for and will be able to understand and work through a lot of the instructions in this book. Of course younger children will need assistance, but don't be a naysayer. This is an excellent book to consider adding to your list, especially for homeschool and classroom use.
VINE VOICEon August 6, 2012
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
While My iPad for Kids is targeted at kids in 4th-7th grade (roughly ages 10-13), it's not just for kids. Adults (parents, teachers, etc.) who are just getting started with an iPad will find this a great resource for learning. This guide is loaded with screen shots and step-by-step instructions for setting up, customizing, and using the basic features of the iPad.

Clear, simple, conversational instructions make it easy to read. You'll learn how to use iPad apps and the onscreen keyboard to take notes (and write papers). You'll learn how to use apps to get organized and stay on schedule. You'll learn how to use Safari to surf the Internet. This book also explains FaceTime, setting up email, how to use the iPad's camera, and how to use the music and photo apps. The author dedicates 4 chapters to apps that are useful for 4th through 7th grade enrichment in English, Math, Science, Social Studies, Foreign Language, Art, and Music. And, of course there's discussion of gaming.

As the parent of elementary school aged children, I appreciated the warnings about sharing photos and information with people you do not know "in real life." However, I feel like those warnings were lost inside all the other directions. Online safety, bullying, and privacy deserved it's own chapter.

Parents also might want to review the discussion of iTunes allowance; "What it is and why your parents should give you one" and a section on "How to convince your parents to give you an iTunes allowance." The author also discusses how much fun social media is--then explains that you have to be over 13 (and therefore beyond the target age of this book). Though there's a lot of "ask your parents first," the author seems to presume that parents of tweens will be more permissive than some may want to be.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
iPad is a great device, and has probably revolutionized the consumer computing. However, no matter how great of a toy iPad was for adults, it pales in comparison to how much kids of al ages are drawn to it. There never was a consumer device that kids instantly and universally embrace like this one. It's a tribute to the simplicity and the intuitiveness of its design. However, even such a device could use some modifications and adjustments that could make it even more kid friendly. And that is the premise of "My iPad for Kids" - it will help parents make the most out of the kid-friendly content and programs that are specifically designed for iPad.

The book covers several general topics on iPad setup, customization, syncing accessing the Internet, etc. Naturally, it covers the gaming, but to its credit it only spends one chapter on this topic. Among other things this book covers a big and representative collection of kid-specific iPad aps. The aps are collected according to their general category, and are also listed according to the age or the school class. The aps are described in some detail, and they give you a better sense of what sorts of software is out there. I was particularly happy with all the educational aps. However, like all the other books that focus on the current iOS aps and similar software, this book will probably feel dated pretty soon, so if you are considering buying it you should go ahead and do so soon.

The book is very well designed, with lots of colorful illustrations and screenshots. With its purchase you gain access for 45 days to the online electronic edition, which can be very useful to have in case you are traveling or are otherwise unable or unwilling to access the hardbound copy. You can read straight though the book, covering all the material, but this book is primarily written with the ease of access in mind to those chapters or sections that you need at that particular time. It is a wonderful little companion for your kids' iPad.
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This paperback book is an excellent resource for any one wanting to learn how to make the most of
their new iPad.

From beginning to end, this book is terrific! In Chapters 1 and 2, you will learn how to get used to
touching the ipad and then moving on to setting it up.

The book targets 4th-7th graders and actually dedicates a chapter to each of these grade specific students.
As a former educator, I like that because it offers ideas for incorporating the iPad for assignments and
class projects. Kids will also appreciate the inclusion of a chapter on gaming with their iPad, as well as
renting and buying movies and photo applications.

The book has good color illustrations and offers information on taking care of the iPad and fixing
problems on your own. I strongly recommend this book for educators or others whose profession is
teaching iPad technology to students.

Purchase this book with confidence for your child and know that as a parent, you too can benefit from
most of this book, if you are using an iPad.
on August 11, 2012
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
With back to school just around the corner I was excited to hear that we will be getting an iPad to use in my special education class. While I am familiar with iPads for personal use I had no idea how I was going to implement it in a classroom setting. When I saw the book MY iPAD FOR KIDS I jumped at the opportunity to get it. It is chock full of great ideas for using an iPad with individual students and also larger groups of students.

The book has lots of descriptive photographs, which will be helpful for my visual learners, as well as written instructions which will help those students who learn more traditionally. There are lists of games, sites, programs, etc. which will benefit a wide range of abiities and interests.

I will bring this book to school on the first day and share it with my students and I expect to get a LOT of use out of it in the coming year. I'm very excited and thankful such a book was written.
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Our iPad is set up as part of a Sonos System so it functions almost solely as a music jukebox. Nonetheless, I found it difficult to even remember how to turn it on and off so I give it to the 10 year old to operate.

One day I heard my grandchildren laughing hysterically and discovered they were taking pictures of themselves with it and then distorting the images. I have no clue how they did it.

So I am going through the entire book to teach myself how to use it and am learning a lot. This book appears to be written not just for the kids but also for the parents. When I'm done, I'll turn it over to the sixth grader.

The chapters and material is well laid out and easy to follow. The author did a splendid job.

Addendum: One of the doctors I work with just borrowed the book so he could figure out how to use his iPad.